for the same reason as the:-
Germans can not laugh
French can not drive
Italians can not fight
Americans can not...............

:)

tony draper
5th Jul 2001, 22:52
Yeh, we have a lousy diet, but we did conquer two thirds of the world on it. ;)

Hersham Boy
6th Jul 2001, 12:09
I beg to differ...

We may have a strange, eclectic and somewhat stodgy national diet, but we also have some of the best chefs in the world and an increasingly enthusiastic population when it comes to good food.

In the interests of promoting this great British talent, suggest all the chaps out there try cooking this for Sunday lunch. It's delish, a doddle and I guarantee you an early Sunday night ;)

Take a deboned leg or a loin of pork and cut laterally/unroll along its length. Make sure your joint has at least 3-4mm of fat on the outside. Fill with a stuffing of plain herb stuffing mix (cheat!), fresh spinach and chopped apricots. Tie the whole lot into a roll using plain string. Score the fat on the outside and rub salt into it. Brush outside with a little olive oil. Roast at 200deg for 20mins per pound.

To accompany, suggest red potatoes with skins on, parsnips coated in oil/honey/a little hot mustard and slightly steamed green beans. And Sunday papers, at least one bottle of good red vino and some of that Crunchie/Snickers ice cream from Sainsbury.

Jeez, I'm hungry now.... :)

Hersh

------------------
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set and I think I need a Lear jet

never_a_victim
6th Jul 2001, 12:27
"Yeh, we have a lousy diet, but we did conquer two thirds of the world on it."

Those two third have gotten much smaller in the past 200 years, haven't they. I think a good diet of greasy hamburgers and COLD beer would do y'all better.

Tartan Gannet
6th Jul 2001, 13:09
Hersham Boy, substitute a nice chilled white wine for the red and I am with you on this one. Havent tried that variation of stuffed roast pork, so I will give it a go some day.

Also I have to say that in the UK's multicultural society we Brits will generally try any ethnic cuisene these days , hence the preponderance of Balti Houses, all types of Chinese, Thai, etc, etc eating places in any town of reasonable size.

Ill eat anything once, if I dont like it or it makes me ill, I wont do so again, otherwise I will return.

Stiff Lil' Fingers
6th Jul 2001, 13:19
Ok, gonna take the bait here........

That may be so, however, the existence of the empire has had real influence upon British eating habits. Lots of dishes / cuisines have been imported from the far flung corners of the world and assimilated into our national diet. Immigration to the UK has also accounted for the wide range of cuisines available.

Within a 10 minute walk of where I live in SW London I can find:

4 Indian restaurants
2 Chinese restaurants
4 Italian restaurants
4 French restaurants
3 Thai/Malaysian restaurants
2 Spanish tapas bars
2 American-style restaurants
3 English-style restaurants
1 Portuguese restaurant
1 Mexican restaurant
1 Belgian restaurant
1 Moroccan restaurant
am not gonna even attempt Turkish/Cypriot kebab houses!

Now, I would wager that a good proportion of chefs in these restaurants hold British passports therefore the 'British can cook anything you damn well would like'.

I challenge you to name a country where you can find such diversity.

Oh and by the way, what the hell is wrong with British classics such as:

- steak and kidney pie
- fish and chips (and mushy peas for that matter)
- roast beef and yorkshire pud
- bread and butter pudding
- summer pudding etc etc
- Hersh's roast pork

Stiff

Pilot's sex kitten
6th Jul 2001, 14:08
As a British girl related to one of the finest Chefs in Leicestershire, England I would have to argue that we can indeed cook. In fact my own recipe for Armagnac and Chocolate ice-cream is famous, if not infamous, amongst my circle of friends. In fact the seductive power of this dish is such that it now only make it on special occasions e.g. when I want to get laid ;)
As this is my own invention I would say that proves that at least some fo us Brits can cook. Although, I would also say that the introduction of flavours and ingredients from around the world has improved the quality of our meat plus stodge main course, followed by more stodge, traditional diet.

P.S. We also have St Delia of Norwich - whatever else you want to say about her, the girl can cook.

------------------
A little of what you fancy does you good...but a lot makes you feel ecstatic.

BlueDiamond
6th Jul 2001, 19:23
Tartan ... what is "Balti"? I haven't encountered that here in Oz. Are you able to give an example?

Stiff Lil' Fingers
6th Jul 2001, 19:41
BlueDiamond,

Definition:
"a spicy dish originally from Pakistan that is traditionally served in the bowl-shaped pan it is cooked in"

Basically a curry served in an individual cast iron dish (which is the balti). Usually served with naan bread rather than rice.

Latterday Baltis 'originated' in Birmingham and Bradford.

Stiff

tony draper
6th Jul 2001, 19:54
Once got into a right barney on another forum when I told some Americans that a good curry was superior to chilli.
It does seem strange that curry has never taken off in the States, when they have a fondness for a good chilli,as I do myself.

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited 06 July 2001).]

Send Clowns
6th Jul 2001, 21:03
If anyone wants proof that the British can cook, pop down to Bournemouth. I shall cook a fine dish for you (with no meat - I was a veggie when I learnt to cook, and am not very clued-up on cooking dead animals). I also have a gorgeous girlfriend who is English and can cook better than I, and whose mother (also English) is the best cook I have ever met.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

DX Wombat
6th Jul 2001, 21:13
Why don't you ask some of the following people that question? (and see how long you survive afterwards): Kevin Woodford, Rick Stein, Antony Worral-Thompson, Ainsley Harriot, Lesley Waters etc, etc, etc.

Send Clowns
7th Jul 2001, 03:16
This evening one of my house mates complimented my landlady on the spaghetti she had fed us. She is English, and does not think she is much of a cook. My housemate, who is Columbian, has just returned from a trip round Europe, and found the pasta in Italy 'very disappointing'.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

Eric
7th Jul 2001, 05:02
SLF, re your definition of a balti (ie served in the balti pan).
How can you get a take away balti? The restaurants surely can't give away cast iron pans to every customer?

rho
8th Jul 2001, 05:58
Now now there's nothing wrong with a bit of goats tongue delicately wrapped in pig's stomach lining, gently seared until golden brown, served with some congealed animals blood, (otherwise known as mmm mmm black pudding) all stuffed into the cavity of a dainty little pidgeon, lined with some farm fresh streaky bacon, topped with some whole 'kippers' and all boiled for 3 hours......... no more. Sided with some mash and poached artichoke skins.

Oh my mouth is dribbling excuse me................. where are those Two fat ladies god bless them!!! :p :p :p :p