PDA

View Full Version : Latest lunacy

Grainger
5th Jul 2001, 21:41
On the News tonight:

A female prison officer from a Scottish prison has twice been flown over to the Dutch prison where one of the Lockerbie bombers is being held to cut the guy's hair !

This is just pure mental lunacy of the highest order.

Now wonder my poll tax is so high :mad:

Winston Smith
5th Jul 2001, 23:00
Somehow they have to get rid of all that money, don't they? At least it secures jobs in aviation! :)

Tartan Gannet
6th Jul 2001, 13:23
I read this too and didnt post as I felt people would think I had made it up.

Now in Scotland there is a great furore about the lack of flush toilets in Scots prisons and one remand prisoner has won his case on human rights grounds. Now although I believe one should be sent to prison for punishment and it should be spartan with no TV, gyms, or other luxuries, the civilised basics such as one cell per prisoner, with flush toilet, shower and the right to wear one's own underclothing beneath the distinctive prison uniform should be given. Only those who trash such modern cells or stage a "dirty protest" should be in the old style "slop out" cells, a few being retained for that purpose. This points up the idiocy of this action regarding the Lockerbie Bomber.

Im sure there are plenty of first class Dutch hair dressers who could have cut this man's hair, even some of Islamic derivation if that was the issue.

Given that the Scottish Parliament has taken the limit off the cost of completing its hideous new building in Edinburgh, (unnecessary as the Old Royal High School was orginally designated for this purpose), and a Minister of that Assembly is under investigating for ALLEGEDLY ripping off accomodation allowances I am not surprised. Seems as if Phoney Tony's candyfloss kingdom also extends to the otherwise down to earth and canny Scots when it comes frivilous use of public funds.

The Guvnor
6th Jul 2001, 13:52
Hang on a sec - I thought he was supposed to have been transferred to a Scottish nick by now - or is there now a part of Holland that will forever remain Scotland (at least until he wins his appeal/he dies)?

Seems bloody wierd to me!

Grainger
6th Jul 2001, 16:43
Bloke on the news said it was OK because the prison officer went on a flight that "was heading that way anyway" :rolleyes:

Wonder if this argument will work for my next holiday? No need to buy a ticket then if they're going to Florida anyway....

No TG, we couldn't make this stuff up if we tried !!

Send Clowns
6th Jul 2001, 20:27
I understand that due to the category of prisoner only a person of certain security clearance was allowed access to the bomber. There was no qualified hairdresser locally. What I can't understand is that anyone can use clippers. A number 4 all over would have been perfectly adequate. Probably some crappy H&S legislation prevents prison staff using clippers on an inmate without special training!

Nil nos tremefacit
7th Jul 2001, 00:56
Honestly, if we'd got a Sikh convicted we could have saved on the haircuts! :)

tony draper
7th Jul 2001, 01:13
There is a simple solution to this problem,we request the Dutch prison authorites to ship the guys head over when haircut time comes around. ;)

Eric
7th Jul 2001, 05:07
You could keep it on a hook Tony :)

Velvet
7th Jul 2001, 20:34
Firstly, why has a any prison officer been flown from Scotland to Holland to cut hair. Secondly, this is a Muslim prisoner - so why a female prison officer.

Is this a normal practice for prsion officers to be flown to cut prisoners' hair? If not, what is special about this one?