PDA

View Full Version : Independence Air Open For Business

poguemahone
19th May 2004, 14:36
Independence Air is officially open for bookings on www.flyi.com

Independence Air is the newest low cost airline in the USA and by September will operate the largest low fare hub in the USA at Washington Dulles Airport with over 300 daily departures. Independence Air is a rebranded Atlantic Coast Airlines which is in the process of pulling out of the United Express feeder programme

colegate
19th May 2004, 17:14
Hauntingly similar to the Duo debacle. Duo had powerful shareholders and a world wide marketing/franchise agreemnet with BA. They seemed to ditch both at the same time. Why? But the result was disastrous. I just hope that Atlantic Coast realise the consequences of pulling away from the United agreement. They will then take all the costs and all the risks.

poguemahone
20th May 2004, 13:29
Yes this was a concern for the 1600 pilots and 2400 others who work here but after seeing the post-bankruptcy contract that United was offering to its United Express partners we feel the risk is worth it. We would rather be in charge of our own destiny than have United slowly and systematicaly kill us off. By signing this new contract we were in effect allowing them too much control over our destiny.

gawain
20th May 2004, 16:59
Sweeping statement Colegate, if you were not involved in duo then I suggest you refrain from commenting.

Thank you

ajamieson
21st May 2004, 16:10
From an SLF point of view:

Flights out of IAD with United on Atlantic Coast so far this year: 11
Flights out of IAD with United on Atlantic Coast 1hr late or less: 0
Flights out of IAD with United on Atlantic Coast 2hrs late or less: 7

Goodness knows what SLF actually based there have put up with.

I don't know whether ACA's performance problems were caused by the United contract or by infrastructure (ATC/IAD capacity/whatever) but I'll not be trying this outfit until I have seen the punctuality figures for at least one quarter.

Actually the Duo comparison is partly valid. If you're not an established carrier you need to get your market positioning right even to operate apparently profitable routes.

poguemahone
22nd May 2004, 18:33
Please forgive my ignorance but what is SLF an abbreviation for?

Patriot328
13th Jun 2004, 23:08
Complete guess, but..

S imple L ittle F *ck ?

Oshkosh George
14th Jun 2004, 02:27
There really are some rude people on Pprune,I have my moments too!

SLF is Self Loading Freight--or PEOPLE!

seacue
14th Jun 2004, 19:17
Twas unfortunate that the news came out last week that ACA/Independence has been fined some $1.5 million(?) for maintenence problems.

seacue
14th Jun 2004, 21:57
Independence Air to use celebrity voices for safety briefing.

http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2004/06/14/daily4.html?t=printable

Mapleflot
15th Jun 2004, 14:42
"Twas unfortunate that the news came out last week that ACA/Independence has been fined some $1.5 million(?) for maintenence problems."
--------

As was UAL but both for violations (paperwork?) in 2001.

seacue
17th Jun 2004, 00:19
Poor Independence Air. It's their first day of operation and thunderstorms are causing big taxi delays at their hub IAD this afternoon/ early evening. At 2000 Local delay of 3 plus hours.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
Which will be current condx whenever you read this.

SC

livin' the dream
26th Jun 2004, 05:04
Yes poor old Independence Air, having to put up with such a freak occurence of.......gasp....TS......gasp.....in the summer - now that's just crazy, how will they cope?

Like any old airline. Get in line and wait your turn. Mother nature doesn't play favourites to those in aviation. I'm sure if any factor will kill our chance to forge our new destiny, TS will not be the factor.