PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters = Dinosaurs

Head Turner
19th May 2004, 13:29
Reading the German Charter Review in EBAN recently there is a trace element creeping into European helicopter operations and that is the strong pressure from environmental groups and local law makers.
The outcome is frightening for heliops. If environmental groups who, one must assume never use aircraft, cars or heat their houses because of the pollution aspect, have their way off airport landings in Europe will be a thing of the past. Local authorities are also producing laws which fundamentally prohibit heliops of airports.
Germany is the factory for rules and regulations within Europe so the future looks grim.

So will the helicopter follow in the footsteps of the dinosaur.

This is a real time problem and time to limit the crazy rule makers swamping us with inhibiting laws.

What do you think

RDRickster
19th May 2004, 14:33
Not that any government institution ever followed common sense rules, but this seems completely ridiculous. In the US, we are expected to stay 2000 AGL over National Parks and the like. That makes sense.

As far as National Forests or other Public Lands, we can usually land without problem (obviously there are exceptions and other considerations - check with local authorities). I've found organizations like AOPA completely useless when it comes to advocating helicopter operations. There have been some municipalities in New England states that have successfully passed laws prohibiting similar activities, and the AOPA never took interest (even after numerous requests to do so). I hope there is a stronger voice where you are.

Pat Malone
19th May 2004, 15:02
AOPA in the UK has formed an alliance with the Helicopter Club of Great Britain to exchange information and jointly fight threats. AOPA UK already has a good working relationship with the British Helicopter Advisory Board, which represents commercial helicopter interests.
Thanks to the Helicopter Club of Great Britain, the CAA's proposals to make it compulsory to be equipped with floats if out of autorotational distance of land have been nipped in the bud. The lobbying campaign started by the HCGB's Jeremy James was reported and promoted in this forum. This was not a German or an EASA requirement but an ICAO one, and hopefully the research and lobbying done by the HCGB will lead to a reappraisal at ICAO level.
EASA poses a large number of potential threats to helicopter operations, but AOPA sits on the two main EASA advisory committees and reports back to the HCGB, so at least there will be early warning of any major silliness, and we will have the chance to fight.

Dave_Jackson
19th May 2004, 19:12
The dinosaur is probably the oil and coal used to produce energy. Unfortunately, current helicopters are a high consumer of this 'dinosaur', per passenger mile.

It's too bad that a certain moron wouldn't think more about the development of alternative energy sources and the Kyoto Accord, instead of a self serving push for more oil.

A future growth industry will be alternative energy, and a nation that clings to the past will become part of the past.

Head Turner
21st May 2004, 08:50
I think that some of you have missed the point of my topic.

I am concerned that indirectly the scope and usefulness of the helicopter will be thwarted by national/local/environmental group pressure, by regulations and laws that will restrict initially and eventually ban landings by helicopters. If helicopters cannot use their unique abilities then why would anyone buy one, other than the military and para military.

I understand that there is no great problem at the moment but as we are all aware laws are made and never unmade.

The fixed wing fraternity are very much aware that a closed airport is rarely reopened.

When it's gone it's gone!!!!

Randy_g
21st May 2004, 17:29
I wonder how the eco-freaks would react if their climbing buddy died, because a helicopter wasn't allowed to come and pick him up ??? Maybe mention to them how much energy went into making that piece of metal sticking out of their ear/nose/eyebrow/wherever... Mention the work hypocrite as well.

cheers