PDA

View Full Version : BA,emirates,virgin, etc staff travel

jam123
18th May 2004, 15:27
Dear all

I am new to the aviation industry and was just wondering about what kind of perks employee's have with regards to staff travel in airlines. I do appreciate that it varies quite significantly from airline to airline but if anyone can give me their views i would be most grateful.

I heard employee's pay 10% of the fare, is that correct?

Also, do employee's get the same travel concessions on other carriers?

Thanks

Regards

Jam

Lou Scannon
18th May 2004, 18:41
Try asking your own Staff Travel department! Otherwise we might think that this is a journo approach!

jam123
19th May 2004, 10:12
sorry Lou, but i should of been more clear. I am NOT a journalist and currently i am not working in the airline industry.It is something i am looking into.

Jam

eire_boy
19th May 2004, 10:59
Hi Jam

You can get some details of staff travel if you check out the airlines recruitment pages.. for example Emirates give some details of the benefits they offer at http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/

Theres also details discussed of Britannias staff travel benefits on another thread:
Britannia Thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1347251#post1347251)

hope it helps,
eb

hapzim
19th May 2004, 16:58
The benifits are not what they used to be. A long request time and lots of paper work just to get a ticket. You are also treated like a third class pax often paying more then the cheaper non changeable fares the pax are on for a seat thats not allocated until closure and often not avalible. So you take your chances.:ouch:

Bob Upndown
20th May 2004, 11:27
Here at VS, it's part of your deal. Let's face it, none if are here for the money!!:)

It doesn't work as a percentage of your salary.

You get 7 free flights with u/g to Premium on the VS per year no matter what your grade. What does change is how soon after starting you get the flights (6 months for most) and how many Upper Class upgrades you get. These are dependent on your position. I have now been with the company a while and now get unlimited upgrades. You have to be a bit canny and judge the loads to get best return on the availability of the upgrade.

I stress the freebies are standby's though there is a boarding priority and upgrade priority system that is (usually) rigorously enforced. Abuses are jumped on.

After 5 years you then get Priority Annual Free Trips, basically one trip for up to 4 people 'confirmed' though if the flt goes full with rev you will get bumped. This trip in on top of your 7 flights.

You also receive up to 12 'service charge' tix, though not too sure how these work as I've never had to use them.

You also have access to other carriers amd VS Staff Travel are now well setup to make these applications for travel for you. Terms (ID 0/50/75/90) vary but they'll get you a good deal.

You, your family and a number of nominated companions can travel. If you co-habit, your partner can travel un-accompanied so long as you can prove co-habitation over 6 months (yes, I know, don't ask me why!).

Paperwork is minimal, in fact it's a phone call for most travel, and you can pay over the phone. It's a courtesy to Staff Travel to give them a little time to sort the booking. That said, on VS routes, you can book up to 24 hours before the flight. So if you fancy a weekend in HKG, and the flight looks good, book on the Weds, fly on the Thurs and you'll be in Lan Kwai Fong Friday night!:ok: :ok:

Depending on loads you may be asked to wait to closure when standing by. Seat allocation is always emotive, but at the end of the day, they're there for rev pax. As I have said, judge the load and pick a quieter flight if at all possible.

I'm happy with the deal, I know Staff Travel and the airports don't always get it right and stand to be flamed by those who are aggrieved.

jam123
20th May 2004, 12:09
thank you all for your replies

Bob - thank you very much for a detailed reply. Looks like VS is a good airline to work for. If you want to purchase tickets after your 7 free flights (although unlikely) do you pay 10% then? also what kind of deal do you get with other carriers? is it the same 10%? also what about hotels, any discount there?

I heard some people get to NY, dubai etc for about £50 and only pay $40 a night at somewhere like the Marriott?

I would appreciate as much info you can give:ok:

Thanks

Jam

Bob Upndown
20th May 2004, 15:15
Jam,

Yeah, it is a good airline to work for in my opinion. I suggest that to gain an overall impression of the company, post a thread along the lines of - 'Working at Virgin Atlantic, is it good or bad'.

You would be foolish to judge the company solely on the staff travel benefits, there are so many other apsects that surely must be considered.

The 10% deals etc. you mention, not sure, but you may mean ID90, which means you pay 10% of the full fare, ie, 90% discount. Hotacc etc. rates varies wildly and it's best to shop around before travel.

Good luck with your future plans:)