View Full Version : Talair 2005 Reunion Dates

Windshear
18th May 2004, 04:57
The dates for the reunion will be - [booked] 30/04/2005 - 01/05/2005 at Rydges Oasis Resort, Caloundra Queensland. www.rydges.com/oasis

Caloundra is a comfortable 40 minutes drive north from the Brisbane CBD, probably 30 minutes from the airport. Coach transfers to and from Brisbane airport to the resort are available [not free].

Accommodation is available at the resort and next week we will attempt to negotiate some prices for package deals. Just on the face of it, their pricing is very reasonable for food and drink for functions, so I am sure a suitable arrangement can be achieved.

Start spreading the word.

Will keep you informed.

Windy
[email protected]

TALAIR 2005 REUNION
Follow this site for updated information regarding bookings, travel, accomodation, and general costs for the venue.
http://users.bigpond.com/kdodd/
Windy
:ok:

Torres
18th May 2004, 06:08
That looks far too classy for the Talair mob, most of whom are accustomed to sleeping in the Port Morbid Temple of Aeros car park. :}

OzExpat
18th May 2004, 07:33
Nah Torres... much too dangerous in the car park. I've seen the bar room floor in use tho! :}

Pinky the pilot
18th May 2004, 10:08
From what I heard there were a few Douglas Airways pilots who did that sort of thing.:O
Not me 'though. I always managed to get back to my flat. Had to close one eye to drive home, but I got there!:=

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Torres
18th May 2004, 23:53
The Temple or Aeros car park was a very dangerous place when the boss's daughter was on a bender and had her sports car parked there!!! :}

One of the benefits of the Talair Mess, Goroka was that one only needed to crawl far enough along the gutter from the Bird of Paradise and one would end up at the Mess front gate!

Torres
19th May 2004, 07:14
Talair Reunion Web Site (http://users.bigpond.com/kdodd/)

(This web site generously funded by past cash fares! :E )

Torres
20th May 2004, 02:09
If this is or was YOU..............

What is a Talair Pilot?

Between the security of second childhood and the insecurity of childhood, we find that fascinating group of humanity called Talair pilots. They come in all shapes, sizes, weights and states of drunkenness.

They can be found anywhere - in planes, in crewrooms, in love, in bars, and always in debt. Girls love them, towns tolerate them and the government supports them. A Talair pilot is laziness with a deck of cards, bravery with dark glasses, and the protector of the Earth with a copy of Playboy. He has the brains of an idiot, the energy of a sea turtle, the slyness of a fox, the stories of a sea captain, the sincerity of a liar, the aspirations of a Casanova and when he wants anything it is usually connected with leave.

Some of his interests are - gins, silver bellies (occasionally) and members of the opposite sex. No one else can cram into their pocket, a little black book, a packet of crushed cigarettes, a picture of his girl, a comb, a pack of cards, a can opener and what’s left of last months pay.

He likes to spend his money on silver bellies, some on beer, some on repairs to his car, some on cards, the rest he spends foolishly.

A Talair pilot is a magical creature; you can keep him out of your house but not out of trouble. You can chase him out of Operations on orders, but not out of the courthouse, or post office.

He is a one and only, bleary eyed good for nothing bundle of worries, but all your dreams become insignificant when he comes into your office, stands at attention in front of you with those bleary eyes and says “GO AND GET %$#^&*!”

Your attendance at the Talair reunion is compulsory!!!

Sir Shags
20th May 2004, 02:13
Or you're FIRED!!! :*

Pinky the pilot
20th May 2004, 10:33
Can an ex Douglas Airways pilot come too??

you're born. Once when

Ezyflight
20th May 2004, 21:42
I guess we let Douglas Pilots in, if they shout the bar!
There were so many of them!!:hmm:

Feather #3
21st May 2004, 09:23
Hey, Torres, one catch with your return to the GKA Mess is that you had to cross the road!! [Or did they buy a new building since I left?:confused: ]

G'day ;)

Torres
21st May 2004, 10:58
Ezyflight. Welcome to PPRuNe mate!!! Long taim mi no lukin yu! :ok:

Feather #3. Same Mess. I could see across the road from the Bird of Parasite, but from then on it was IFR, track via the gutter!!!

Except Sunday evening, when it was track via audio to the Hymn signing!!!

And at the front gate: "Haus kuk, kisim sam pella moa bia bilong mi!!!" :} :}

Them waz the days - when shiney bums ruled........!!! :ok: :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
22nd May 2004, 07:31
Hmmm....Torres I don't actually think lazy is an adjective I'd use to describe those of us blessed with the opportunity to fly 2500-3000 sectors a year for uncle Dennis.;)

The permanently horny and hungover part is not far from the truth though:}

I well remember the Peace girl I was rooting for a while telling me about the 'Talair pilot brief' they were all given before leaving the contigous 48 states for somewhat warmer climes:E

It's gonna be one helluva bash....wouldn't dream of missing it!!!!!

Douglas pilots??? Wouldn't that lower the tone of the party somewhat???:ok:

Chuckles

Cashfares...wot cashfares Muddy???

Animalclub
22nd May 2004, 15:11
AAAAAHHH Chimbu - I see you're a gambler too!!!

tinpis
24th May 2004, 03:43
:bored:

Crickey Im in trouble I was based in Goroka for a while and I cant remember there being a TAL mess in town.

Torres
24th May 2004, 05:03
tinpis. There wasn't a staff mess in Goroka in your day. The Mess (originally built as a small two story motel) was bought around 1980 I guess, by the then Administration Manager (or some such title - anyone heard of him since his Honiara days?).

It was in Elizabeth Street, around 600 meters east of the Head Office.

Sharpie
24th May 2004, 05:49
By golly! With Chimbu Chuckles definately attending, I will have to be there myself. Who else will be there from 1965-1970? Alkie Malky, The Slob, Big Dick and brother Ken, Harry Gonner, Daphne, Fingers, Doctor Largo, Slapsie, McCook, and many many more, I'll have to have a looksie through a few old logbooks and see what names come up.

Any one thought of compiling a 'Roll Of Honour" for folded wings?

Sharpie.

tinpis
24th May 2004, 06:48
Har har Dr Lago the worlds greatest abortionist :}

Theres Bernie, Miles .D. , Don Sink, Graham the Hump,Toohey,the Galliots, The Prawn,Trev,Trader,Sypho ??crikey if we got a 1% salary contribution off the quaintarse cadets we could all have a week in sheer luxury.

Oop..how could we forget Scotty Adams :p

Taildragger
24th May 2004, 23:34
Jeeeeeeeez ....
I do believe that there will be a copious amount of demon grog
consumed and multiple lies told and retold at this suspicious occasion...trutok.?? I sapos SP Spakwarra Ltd., are in full overtime mode and a freighter standing by to ship the pish in.!
Guy should push the boat out here with a bit of seed money. Gawd knows...I think you have all earned it.

Pinky the pilot
25th May 2004, 10:58
Unless there are any strong objections this former Douglas Pilot will request permission to attend this distinguished reunion.
Although I never worked for Talair I counted several of their pilots as friends, mates and in one particular circumstance as a lifesaver.
In my so far 49 years on this Earth I count the all too short time I spent as a PNG Bush pilot (18 months) as the best time of my life!:ok:

you're born. Once when

Torres
25th May 2004, 23:57
Pinky - you persistant bugga - I'll move a Motion we allow you into the p1$$up - errrr - Reunion as an "Associate Member".

Any Full Members willing to second the Motion??? :p

Ah, yes, Scotty Adams. Last seen a few years ago propping up the bar at the Caboolture Aero Club.

Where's Bernie? Still in Port Morbid?

Tuohy is still listed in the phone book - PM me if anyone wants the contact number.

SP Spakwata in overtime mode Taildragger? Last I heard they were in damage mode after being fined K1 mill for producing their own electricity....... What a joke! :{

Sharpie
27th May 2004, 06:25
Eric "Scotty" Adam: ex Glen Murray Syndicate, ex Ansett-MAL, ex TAL; I saw him last year pushing a 'Tiger' around at the Caboolture Air Show, (not flying) and heard that his eyesight was failing.

Bernie as far as I know is still in POM with CAA(or is it DOT) in the Air Accident Investigation Branch.

tinpis
2nd Jun 2004, 06:30
Go TAL... (http://www.fototime.com/{AA5CAC5B-9E1F-450C-8779-E698F6ABAB4C}/picture.JPG)

Some of the jet route standards must have been bloody rough...

Animalclub
2nd Jun 2004, 07:24
They were at Kiunga and Tabubil!

TwoDogs
2nd Jun 2004, 17:54
Since when did being "blind" ever keep Scottie on the ground?:O

Windshear, any chance I could drop in for a coldie if I happen to be in town ? I promise I wont stay long.

Ezyflight
4th Jun 2004, 02:08
Sharpie,
It would be appreciated if you took on the job of organising a 'Roll Of Honour" for folded wings, given your 'vast' seniority! Would you do it?

Torres, second the motion on Douglas Pilots. :ok:

mainwheel
7th Jun 2004, 00:14
Sir Shaggs.

Still on the lao?

Hows the little champion going these days.

Zaijian.

:rolleyes:

Sharpie
7th Jun 2004, 03:59
Ezyflight.

'Roll of Honour' basically complete in respect to pilots killed in PNG accidents. I will try and compile an accurate document for all staff with folded wings and call upon all staffers to pass on the information to me.

I realise that I should have included Black Jack Walker within 'brackets' along with the other three pilots. My error.

Sir Shags
7th Jun 2004, 05:01
You called, Mainwheel? :p

tinpis
7th Jun 2004, 06:24
Just for the record ,how many times did you sack me Sir Shags?

Ezyflight
7th Jun 2004, 09:30
Sharpie.

Thanks for that, appreciated.
Would we want to read the names out or have them as a displayed list?

I have been contacted from some, on your notes, like D&K B, BG, and I know AM is aware of the pi!!up. AC, previous CAA/Transport Exam., also has made contact. ;)

Sharpie
8th Jun 2004, 03:12
Ezyflight.

May I suggest that we endeavour to compile a list of all departed ex TAL staffers, not only aircrew and towards this end, I am happy to be the 'mail box' and help out if readers can forward names to me. The list will be made available to all attendees at the reunion.

I envisage that immediately before the turps flow, having the occassion 'blessed' by a clergy with few kind words for Absent Friends.

Comments welcome.

Peter Sharpe aka, Louie the Leprechuan, Looie The Lip.

Ezyflight
8th Jun 2004, 09:53
Sharpie,

Clergy ..mmmm... pity Rev.Doug McCraw (now theres a name to start the list) is still not with us.

Will follow the comments re 'blessing' with interest. I know where there is a loud booming Welsh voice, Tony Frogsh!! past PNG ATC.

Do you want the names through this forum? If not email me through the reunion web site and I will set it up. :cool:

Best thru the web site I think, mate. There may still be some upset family and friends out there... and the intent is not to open old wounds.

Woomera

Pinky the pilot
8th Jun 2004, 11:05
Torres and Ezyflight; Thank you Gentlemen. You shall both have more than one drink on me on the day!:ok:

you're born. Once when

Eurocap
13th Jun 2004, 09:43
For those of you that may not have heard, Don Sinclair is in the ICU at Middlemore Hospital in AKL after a bad car crash. Accident happened a couple of weeks ago. Not sure of his condition at the moment.

Torres
14th Jun 2004, 04:41
Eurocap. That's sad to hear. If you get the chance will you please pass on my very best wishes to Biggles and family.

Would appreciate any update and an address by PM if possible.

Bob Fulton

Sharpie
14th Jun 2004, 05:17
Please pass on to Biggles my best wishes for a speedy recovery and that he doesnot spend too much time in hospital.

Cheers.
Peter Sharpe.

Eurocap
15th Jun 2004, 05:12
From what I've heard he has broken bones, damaged eye, teeth missing and because he wasn't found for 14 hours the toxins built up in his body causing his kidneys to fail and so he is on dialysis. Only family are allowed to visit but there is an e-mail address one can send messages to. I don't have it at the moment but will endeavour to post it once I get it.

Eurocap
17th Jun 2004, 03:59
Don Sinclair is improving.

He has been transferred from ICU to Ortopedic Ward 17 at Middlemore. His kidneys are functioning again.
Messages can be sent to either:

[email protected]

or

c/- Airfreight
PO Box 73 088
Auckland

or

c/- Ward 17
Middlemore Hospital
Auckland

:ok: :ok:

Torres
30th Jun 2004, 23:26
Now here's an interesting picture. Was this the beginning of the end?

http://www.uploadyourimages.com/view/044330ansett_photo2.jpg

For those who know the "personalities" in the above photo, they may find this amusing:

http://www.uploadyourimages.com/view/949728dc3_sim.jpg

tinpis
1st Jul 2004, 03:50
Slugger looked well:p

Torres
14th Jul 2004, 01:48
The Reunion Convenors are urgently trying to obtain current contact details for as many past Talair staff as possible.

If you are an ex Talair employee, 1952 to 1992, or have contact details for any ex Talair staff, please email: [email protected]

All help in contacting past Talair employees or obtaining employee contact details greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Fulton

puff
24th Jul 2004, 07:03
Not on topic but I was at the local library the other day and found a booked called Balus Vol III by James Sinclair, picked it up and couldn't put it down....amazing story of what sounded like an amazing operation...crashes certainly seemed to be a very common event thats for sure!

Have fun at the reunion, i'm sure you guys have some great and not so great memories!

Sharpie
27th Jul 2004, 11:37
PUFF'

Try and find the following books for good background information on PNG aviation. Well worth the effort and cost for a good read.

Wings Of Gold.

Balus Vol.1
Balus Vol.2

I think that our friend Torres should try and convince James Sinclair to come up with Balus Vol. 4 to bring PNG aviation history up to date and more so, finish off the millenium.

Peter.

MulletHead
27th Jul 2004, 22:36
Was Talairs' last revenue flight on 25May93,
can any one confirm this date?

Regards MH

Chimbu chuckles
28th Jul 2004, 05:00
Yes 25th May '93.

I arrived back at Pom in RDX late afternoon, if not the last, then close too...in POM anyway.

As for the last revenue flight who knows...a few of the guys went out to collect all the outport radios and paperwork. Surely SOMEONE had the brains to collect a few cashfares doing shuttles:E

Chuck

mong`s
30th Jul 2004, 06:00
Last RPT flight, however the KRK - HGH - KRK for the porgera contract remained for 1 more mth. last pilot was Boots.

treefern
30th Jul 2004, 09:06
surely you dont mean boots metzel

Chimbu chuckles
30th Jul 2004, 12:10
Nah...that'd be Boots Jackson. So called because his only foot apparel was a pair of elastic sided black boots which he wore EVERYWHERE...including taking his wife a kids to the beach!!

Went spare one day when his little girl hid them for a joke:ugh:

Chuck.

tinpis
30th Jul 2004, 22:07
:}

The other "Boots" mistakenly thought people were referring to his footwear.

Sharpie
13th Jan 2005, 05:24
Hi everybody,

Ex Territory Air Lines pilot 1965, Gary Honour commands his last -400 SIA flighjt today(13th) before retiring.

I first met Gary when I joined TAL in 1966 and had a couple of cold ones to celebrate his 21st. Gary left TAL, joined TAA and then Air Niugini in 1973 when it was formed with the seniorirty slot of #1.
With over 30,000 hours logged, young Gary says that he still has a few more hours left in him and would like to top 40,000 before hanging up the leathers for good. A fantastic effort Gary and we look forward to a few more coldies at the reunion.

All going well, we should be able to entice him away from Armidale for a day or two and visit Caloundra.

:D

Philthy
26th Jan 2005, 04:01
Chaps,

Slightly off-topic, but the Civil Aviation Historical Society which operates the Airways Museum at Essendon Airport is putting together material for a special exhibition at the end of the year on Civil Aviation in pre-Independence New Guinea.

If you served in civil aviation in New Guinea in any capacity in those far-off, halcyon days, we would like to hear from you - recollections, photographs or whatever!

Please go to our website at www.airwaysmuseum.com (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com) and follow the link from our homepage.

Cheers,

Philthy

Torres
25th Mar 2005, 10:00
Following email received from the Chief Organiser.....

Hi All,

This is just a reminder about registering for the reunion. Registration, on the original agreement closes next Thursday 31st March one month prior to the function. I will be visiting the resort next Thursday to see if arrangements can be made to deal with a closer cut off date. Once I get the answers I will put out an email to all but in the meantime you may wish to make arrangements and let others know. The one point the Resort was adamant about right from the start is they are unable to consider having a ‘walk in on the night’ situation.

Everything else seems to be in place. There will be a short formal piece at sundown with toasts at the function, this will be M/C’d by Peter Sharpe.

I have just picked your email addresses as you would seem to have other contacts you may be able to jog them along. “The old PNG Syndrome”

Happy Easter.

Torres
31st Mar 2005, 09:45
Following email received from the Chief Organiser.....

Hi All,

Just about there and this will be the second last update for the Reunion.

Having visited the Resort today I am pleased to say they have everything set to make this an occasion to remember. Numbers have increased over the last few weeks to nearly 100 and we are aware of many others who are making arrangements. An educated guess would put the numbers attending on the night at about 150. The Guest List on the web site was amended earlier this afternoon.

The Resort has extended the cut off date for registration and bookings to 15th April. (Two weeks prior). This is for the function only, accommodation bookings can still be made after this date. They are aware that there may be a trickle of bookings for the function beyond this date but it is hoped it is a trickle only. Nothing will be accepted 48hours prior to the function for obvious reasons. Sorry.

For those who have used a credit card for their arrangements, the Resort advises that they will debited the card for the cost of the function, $85.00 per person, 48 hours prior to the Saturday night. This is to ensure the function is covered. If you have accommodation booked, this will be finalised when you book out as a separate item.

AGENDA/ PROGRAME for the FUNCTION, SATURDAY 30th APRIL 2005.

1700 Arrival/ Start/ Board/ whatever at Function room.

1700 - 2100 Beverage package (4 hours free drinking which you paid for, commences)!?

1730 – 1830 Canapé’s served. (That’s finger food!)

1830 Formal part of function. Toasts. (Drinks type, not more food) M/C for the occasion, Mr. Peter Sharpe.

1900 Function Buffet Dinner commences.

2100 Beverage package ends however bar in Function room will remain open for the purchase of beverage.

2200 Function room bar will close BUT, HOWEVER, ‘Legends’ bar will be made available until there are no more takers!

For those guests staying at the Resort, on check in, you will receive ‘wrist bands’ with your names on for the Function. For guests not staying at the Resort but attending the Function you will be required to register at Reception prior to proceeding to the Function. At Reception, you will also be issued with ‘wrist bands’ with your names on. The Resort Security will ask anyone in the Function room, not with a band, to re-check with Reception.

Stick on name tags will also be issued at the Function Room door to all guests.

For overseas visitors; as the Resort is an outlet for liquor, it also has to comply with State and Federal Laws and as such for the comfort of all guests will abide by the ‘Drinking Code of Responsible Service of Alcohol’

Australia also has strict laws on smoking and QLD State law now prevents anyone smoking in Bars, the Function Room and several other venues, unless designated a smoking area. This includes smoking within 4 meters of a doorway to a public area.

It would appear everything is set to make this an enjoyable weekend for all attending.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Regards

The Organiser

tinpis
2nd Apr 2005, 03:03
Geezaz four hours on the grog before tea ! :ooh:

They got a good ambo service nearby for some these old buffers?

:rolleyes:

Torres
2nd Apr 2005, 07:50
I will be driving Brisbane to Caloundra on the Saturday around mid day I guess, back Sunday morning when the blood alcohol level is within legal limits and the hangover fades.

Any one needing a lift to/from Brisbane or the airport, PM me.

TwoDogs
2nd Apr 2005, 10:07
back Sunday morning when the blood alcohol level is within legal limits and the hangover fades.

Planning a quiet night then, are we ???

Torres
2nd Apr 2005, 10:17
Well, tinpis's comment:

"Geezaz four hours on the grog before tea!"

Is a bit disconcerting!

And if it's four hours of free grog, a man would be a fool to miss out on more than his fair share.... An seeing as I paid for it, I'll also need to consume most of the Haus Kuk's share - not that she doesn't also give it a fair nudge when she gets the inclination....

tinpis
2nd Apr 2005, 23:57
And if it's four hours of free grog, a man would be a fool to miss out on more than his fair share.

:ooh:
Does the owner know he is dealing with ex Talair types???

OzExpat
3rd Apr 2005, 06:10
tinpis... hotel management is probably hoping that everyone is older and wiser... :} Maybe they're thinking that everyone will be like Torres eh? :p

Animalclub
3rd Apr 2005, 07:29
OzExpat You jest seriously - now don't you. Torres older and wiser? I think that's sometimes called a PNG welder!

Woomera
16th Apr 2005, 13:25
REMINDER!!!

Last chance to book for this years greatest P!ss Up at the Talair Reunion!!!

18-Wheeler
17th Apr 2005, 11:42
30th April?
Bugger!
I can't make it, I'll be at work then. :(

GoGirl
18th Apr 2005, 19:33
aww, the Oasis is only down the road from my place....what a shame Disco-Stu & I are off getting married in Fiji that weekend :E

Have a great time everyone!!

GG

Woomera
18th Apr 2005, 20:51
GG - Geeze, that's a bit rash don't you think?

OzExpat
19th Apr 2005, 08:02
They haven't known each other very long either! :}

Torres
19th Apr 2005, 10:15
I telephones Jim and Jan Sinclair this evening and extended an invite to the Talair Reunion.

Jim told me is working on a new book, the history of the Highlands from first discovery to Independence - which promises to be a mighty tome!

They both sounded very well and appreciated the invite.

Torres
20th Apr 2005, 07:40
Following received from the organiser:

Hi All,

Just a bit over a week to go and the Guest List is growing larger. I understand there are more names to go on the list as the Resort is still taking bookings, I will continue to add these up until the Friday morning before the Reunion.

We would like to see as many of our old friends as possible however there will be those who are not able to attend. To those people, as shown on the Function Programme sent out last time, we will have a Toast and remember you about 1830 Australian Eastern time on the Saturday. If you would like to be part of the Reunion and send a ‘goodwill message’ or contact a specific person, please email me up until the Friday before. All messages will be placed on a notice board at the Resort for the entire weekend. There have been several received already.

Currently the weather in Brisbane and on the Sunshine Coast is 15 Deg. during the night and 29 -30 deg during the day. Still good surf weather! The forecast is for much the same over the Reunion weekend with the occasional shower if the S/Easter gets up.

I have had a couple of enquiries regarding dress standard; It is our Do so neat casual is the go.

Finally, it has been a pleasure getting this up and running with some funny bits along with the odd sad moment over the year. (I hope the boys flying up form Melbourne can finally work out who the captain is, although we know Captain ‘George’ will probably fly them home!!) I hope everyone enjoys themselves

Lukim yu

See ya all there!!!

tinpis
1st May 2005, 01:52
:}
Any casualities? :hmm:

Woomera
1st May 2005, 10:09
Please post links to photos, war stories, malicious rumours and out right lies here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173050).