PDA

View Full Version : Landing Compass Fluid

Steamhead
17th May 2004, 20:17
Help Please.
I have just purchased a landing compass ( you know the type-wooden box-prism for sighting-hole in the bottom for tripod.)
It has a medium size bubble in the fluid.
Question:- what fluid does it use and where can I get some.
I have checked and I think it is some kind of spirit but my sense of smell is not very good as I am an old GIT and need some help.
Regards

SeldomFixit
18th May 2004, 08:08
Older fluid filled compasses used either alcahol or a kerosine like fluid. Newer versions use Silicon based fluids. The later versions are better damped due to the higher viscosity of the silicon fluids.
These usually leak less and don't suffer from evaporation because the seals used are highly compatible with the fluid.

You can purchase " compass fluid " by the half pint from outlets such as Aircraftspruce.com for roughly a tenner.

Steamhead
18th May 2004, 18:58
Thanks SeldomFixit I will try adding some top quality Vodka and see if it mixes with existing fluid. I will let you know what happens

Regards

Perfect SeldomFixit
Smirnoff does it again.
The rest of the glass was a toast to you \'Hic\'

Regards

Cyclic Hotline
18th May 2004, 19:19
We had to stop stocking the alcohol style compasses, because the greenies kept drinking the stuff!

They order it by the case as well.

Jetset41
21st May 2004, 21:36
Steamhead , if it's the same as in standby compasses , as I guess this to be the case .
You can get it from Adams Aviation at Biggin Hill , that's were I used to get it .

Their number is 01959 576129.

Cheers ,

Jetset41

Steamhead
22nd May 2004, 11:29
Thanks Jetset41
Always nice to get response to postings.
On this occation Smirnoff has done the job.
Regards

mono
24th May 2004, 10:00
Err,

Exactly how big was your medium sized bubble??

Alot of landing compasses are supposed to have a bubble in the fluid, it is used to ensure the compass is level.

If the bubble was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cm in diameter and the compass glass had a circle scribed in the centre then it's meant to be there.

SeldomFixit
24th May 2004, 11:33
mono - shame on you for assuming this maintenance wasn't carried out in accordance with approved procedures and indeed, by an approved person.......................:=