PDA

View Full Version : How many of us are there?

Tenminutes
17th May 2004, 19:41
I read with interest that 240 people applied for the position of PA34 pilot. Is this a true reflection of how many people are chasing these jobs? It seems that reading the threads on pprune gives no indication of how many of us there are competing against each other, in the nicest possible way. If we all new more accurately where we came from and what we are looking for we may be able to make more informed decisions about future investment to further our chances. For instance, if I knew that their were 240, 190 flying hour pilots who have never flown commercially such as myself and that none would consider paying for 737 rating, then the obvious way to get ahead would be to invest, etc. It would be a huge reassurance as well to know that I/we have done what it takes and that it is just a matter of time. It would also help to hear of the kind of experience that we have had in replies from airlines since completion of training. People who have not yet begun training would also do well to read such information.
For my part:
I graduated from BFC roughly two years ago and have had not one single interview since despite 60 CV's every three months etc.
I have 190 flying hours, work in an airline (not pilot) and would only consider self funding a rating if a job was guaranteed. I have a CAA issued JAR CPL/IR frozen ATPL ,MCC. Cannot afford to maintain currency.
Go on, what is your position?

Jetavia
17th May 2004, 19:54
My story .. 630hrs TT 190 Twin, have been jobhunting since october 2001 .. but i´m still stuck in my yellow DHL van :{

Will consider self-funding a turboprop/jet-rating .. but only if there is a very very good chance of a job afterwards.. as the funds will have to come from my parents pension .. as i´m more or less broke myself!

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th May 2004, 09:09
My estimate is that there are something like 1,600 people out there with Frzn ATPLs looking for a commercial job.

Cheers

An2
18th May 2004, 09:44
-"My estimate is that there are something like 1,600 people out there with Frzn ATPLs looking for a commercial job."

This could turn out to be a real crusher of a thread then!!;)

Have a frzn ATPL since 9-11-2001. How's that for timing, eh?! :sad:
432 TT, 153ME. Flying an Islander and a C182 at the local dropzone. Got a decent (but seriously boring) job which pay enough, for me to keep current.
Would pay for a rating, given a promise of a job. (Sad, I suppose.)

tonker
18th May 2004, 10:41
In the good old days students with 190 hours went down the well trodden path of becoming an instructor.

I'm about to start my 3rd season and ok the money doesn't attract the birds but i'm still learning, building EXPERIENCE, and meeting quite a few people from the airlines some of which are involved in RECRUITMENT.

It's not for everybody, but be certain of this, the training captain you are likely to meet at an interview etc, almost certainly went through this route.

Good luck Tonker :ok:

torpedoaway
18th May 2004, 14:59
I think there are 2 of us with fATPL's.

Me and the person who gets invited for an interview instead of me!

Flying Farmer
18th May 2004, 20:20
Best I introduce myself then Mr Torpedo :}

Flying F

Edited, saw Mr Torpedos profile, current on 757 so not really looking for a job I assume :E

flat-tire
18th May 2004, 21:54
I have 1300 hours and fly single pilot cargo at night. The only problem is that I am 4000 miles away from my Wife. Seems like I will never get a job back at home in the UK. What pilot shortage?

retro cowboy
19th May 2004, 08:19
Where abouts are you based flat-tire?

flat-tire
24th May 2004, 03:17
At the moment I am base in Florida. That could change at any time.

I hear more foreign pilots on the radios at night then American pilots. This place is one big melting pot.

flash8
28th May 2004, 09:17
730 hours, approx. 480+ on the Dash 8-100

Not even an inkling of a Jet Job - no interviews

I would get a 733 rating if it were worth it

Both Canadian and JAR licences

If theres no hope for me - theres no hope for a hell of a lot of guys and gals - WHAT RECOVERY?

varigflier
1st Jun 2004, 21:24
2500 total time over 600 multi, Brasilian CPL, IFR and multi, FAA ATPL and no job. Have been applying for one year in 3 areas of the world and no jobs, no interviews. YES, there is a shortage in aviation, a shortage of jobs.

scroggs
2nd Jun 2004, 10:27
There is not now, nor has there ever been, a shortage of people qualified to enter this industry within UK, Europe or North America. It has always been an oversubscribed profession because it carries a degree of glamour (it's all in the eyes of the beholder, but we won't go there now....).

In UK, the recovery is well under way. In fact, the UK aviation industry has had it relatively easy over the last three years compared to the US and Canada. European airlines in general were struggling before 9/11, but were hit less by 9/11 and SARS than the UK, US and Far Eastern airlines. In UK, I'd guess that the total number of pilots in work now is more than it was before 9/11. In Europe, thanks to the lacklustre performance of the Eurozone economies (Ireland and Spain excepted), airlines are still bumping along the bottom of a rough patch. However, in the US and Canada, the airline industry is in a complete mess, and it's going to take some time yet before things improve.

Even before 9/11, there were many more wannabes than jobs. That hasn't changed, but for those of you in UK things are as bright as I can remember. Sure there are always clouds on the horizon (terrorism, oil price, taxation, environmental issues, etc. etc), but this is a good a time for hiring as most of the last 30 years. Trouble is, there are too many people chasing the jobs.

Scroggs

salapilot
4th Jun 2004, 20:20
Scroggs is right. I've been chasing since July 2000 and have come to the simple conclusion that there are too many of us jumping up trying to get on that elusive ladder. Put simply the only way to get a job is

1- Know the right people (this industry invented the word Nepotism !)
2- Go for an instructor rating
3- Take the risk and pay for a type rating
4- Hope that by the miracle of god that your cv lands on the right desk at the right time....probably more chance of finding Beagle 2 !

I at the present time can’t go for 2 and 3. So I try and network as much as I can. As much as I believe in Equal Opps I’m afraid this industry doesn't, and so if you can beat them .......

Sp

PS- 300 hours total with 60ish multi....just about enough pennies to stay current each year.

Fuel Crossfeed
17th Jun 2004, 11:22
The company I fly for recuited a couple of months ago they advertised for positions in the aviation press for type rated f/o's.
Last rumour I heard was they had 900 applicants!!!!
Of those 900 I do not know how many were type rated, how many were currently employed with other airlines, how many were from the UK, or how many were just wishful thinking without the experience required.
Glad I'm in with my foot on the ladder!!

Mooney12
18th Jun 2004, 16:56
This all sounds rather gloomy. I got on the CTCMcAlpine sponsorship scheme, but even that doesn't guarantee a job. The CTCMcAlpine scheme currently have 4600 applications on their database. They take on 2.1% of applicants. This gives you an idea of the number of completely inexperienced wannabes who want a chance. Howere CTC also said they didn't advertise in the national press a) they simply couldn't deal with the massive response (BA made the mistake of advertising their cadet scheme in the national press once and recieved over 50 000 applications for 100 places. BMI once recieved 8000 for 12 places. I know this cause I wrote to them once a number of years ago.) and b) its too expensive.

CTC only advertise on the Internet, so you really have to be in touch with things like pprune or have a general interest aviation to find out. Basically you have to seek out the CTCMcAlpine scheme as they put it. Getting to the RHS in two years - what an opportunity.