PDA

View Full Version : airports northern cyprus

airmail 1
17th May 2004, 14:26
hi all out there,would like some info for the two airports in northern cyprus.am going there next month.ie customs and whats there once check in.cant seem to find any info anywhere thanks.......

cat 3a
17th May 2004, 14:49
2 airports ?

there is only one as far as I know with no direct flights from U.K
since northern Cyprus is NOT a recognise state

Boss Raptor
17th May 2004, 14:57
I believe KTHY Turkish Cyprus Airlines flies from both London and Manchester however service is via Istanbul for political reasons - the plane stops and then is off again

There are 2 airports, Ercan and Gecitkale the former is the main civilian one, the latter is military but has some flights by KTHY and their flights operated from Stansted to GEC last year

airmail 1
17th May 2004, 15:16
thanks,was told that ercan was shut due maitanance,so should be going to gecitkale.going from lhr with kthy via antalya,a double jump......just wanted to know whats there..

soddim
17th May 2004, 17:33
Not a lot at Gecitkale. Had to use it 2 years ago when Ercan was also closed. Long baggage reclaim and check-in delays - not an enjoyable part of the trip.

groundfine
17th May 2004, 20:37
I went to North Cyprus for a recent and most enjoyable holiday.
It's true all flights have to land in Turkey first. Ours from Manchester went via Dalaman, so not so far out of the way as Istanbul. Stay on the KTHY B737-400 for 30 mins of refuel and partial crew change so no problem other than the fact that it adds about 1.75hrs to a direct journey if it were possible. Bags and tickets were to ERC but flight was (always) to the other one due ERC still being closed.
Although it is a military airfield there is no hassle. Bags were quick and, in fact, we were waiting outside for the arranged pick up, bags at our side, some minutes before the due arrival time!
Return from same airfield. OK it's a little place with only two non descript duty free shops, but all the better for it IMHO.
Nice place, the TRNC.