PDA

View Full Version : how many dogs at FAJS?

RUDAS
17th May 2004, 11:28
i hear they'e using dogs at joburg to scare off birds.anyone know what kind,and how many?

do they roam around freely?

i think i need to get one to scare off my neighbours.hey,if they work with birds...

Shandy
17th May 2004, 11:47
Rudas,

On taxiway Echo at FAJS (on the tower side) there is a big signboard with a boarder collie on it.... Sorry, I didn't get his cell number. (haha, just joking)

There was also a programme on local TV about the dogs. I gathered that the dog is only sent out on request, probably if someone has notified the tower of bird activity.

Pestie neighbours may require more than a boarder collie... loud music and hectic parties may do the trick.

S.

skyvan
17th May 2004, 19:09
AFAIK there is one dog in JNB, and one in Durban. They go out with the handler on request, and also do regular "patrols". In Durbs they use a quad-bike.

There were some good articles in the press about them last year. I heard that Durban's birdstrike rate has dropped by about 60% since the introduction of the collie.

Balloothebear
18th May 2004, 07:03
"How many dogs at FAJS" well now let me see,theres the obnoxoius ones at the various check in counters,theres the cheeky ones up at the SAX and Link management suites,theres the large ones at customs,theres the spunky ones at duty free etc......" hehehehe.
Only a joke guys and girls.......have a brilliant day;)

"Wagter,gaan huis toe"

Little One
19th May 2004, 12:19
There is 1 Dog called Tweeny that does patrols with her handler mostly She was injured recently so I'm not sure if she is still doing the patrols at present. If we call people on request the Fire Crew normally go out and chase the birds with Sirens or small explosive shots that make a loud bang.

At Durbs there are 2 dogs now apparantly but ACSA JNB dosn't want to pay for another.

Goldfish Jack
21st May 2004, 23:32
I saw a dog in the bar last night and he was chatting up the birds!!!

He was on pass out and was roaming all over the bar!!!

22nd May 2004, 09:41
I saw some drunk guy chatting up a couple of dogs. Dont know if they were from ACSA though, I mean the dogs:}