PDA

View Full Version : Caverton Helicopters

ambidextrous
16th May 2004, 20:24
Any Nigerian reader of this forum have any news concerning the start-up of Caverton Helicopters at Lagos?
Regards, ambi

rolloverbeethoven
23rd May 2004, 17:21
Let me know what you want and I will give you details

TomBola
24th May 2004, 12:44
Worth looking at the Rotorheads Forum where they have been mentioned a number of times on a thread about what's happening in West Africa.

So far, since they first advertised in Flight nearly 2 years ago, all they've managed to do is nearly finish building a very large, expensive hangar in Murtala Muhammed airport and get a floating barge ready for Victoria Island. They've bought just one helicopter so far - an Agusta 109E. They've appointed a South African guy as MD and an Irish guy, with no experience of operating in Nigeria as Ops Director. How they expect to make enough money with a shuttle operation between MM and VI to cover what they've spent so far is something of a mystery. If they want to join in the many new fixed wing start-ups in Nigeria they'll find it a real struggle to make money.

Progress very slow, direction uncertain. Profits from where? If you know Nigeria, be very, very careful. See what happened to Okada helicopters, look at Southern Air, Concorde Helicopters and Stillwater with the S76 operation. Hope it works out, but must be a doubtful number. :hmm:

rolloverbeethoven
24th May 2004, 22:23
we could have some intersting conversations over a few beers i guess know my about pretty well in nigeria
lots of oppurtunities but also lots of stress especially considering the amount of investment required for that part of the aviation business.
regards

Mama Mangrove
25th May 2004, 17:05
Owned by Chief Makanjuola, whose primary business is shipping. Plenty of money, but he'll need it if he's serious about breaking into the business and making any real money. The MD has some experience of running airplane business, but not with helicopters, which is also rather odd. The Ops Manager has no experience of Africa, which is another very odd thing for a new African start up.

Take heed of Tom Bola's comments if you're a foreigner and thinking of committing yourself to them. Also depends where you live because if you join as an expat you'll be paid in US$. Check where your contract of employment is legal too. If it's Nigeria, forget it!

They seem to be long on publicity, but short on action so far.