PDA

View Full Version : Smallest notebooks

StirStick
16th May 2004, 04:48
Opinions on the smallest notebooks please!!!

Hamrah
16th May 2004, 09:35
I have been using a Sony TR1MP for nearly a year and can strongly recommend it if you want highly portable computer access.

The new version the TR2A (http://shopping.yahoo.com/p_sony-tr2a_notebooks_1991330696) is even better. With the extended battery I'm getting 6 hours usage between charges.

H

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th May 2004, 13:26
StirStick,

The smallest notebooks usually leave out drives and sacrifice screen size. You need to figure out what you will be doing with the notebook. It is a balance of weight/size vs features.

Take Care,

Richard

redsnail
16th May 2004, 17:13
I got an Apple 12" iBook.
2.2kg, CDR/DVD, stable OS (Mac OS X panther)
WiFi card added, blue tooth ready.
~£800.
New model out too, uprated the CPU to 1Ghz (from 800Mhz)
Not as tiny as the Sony Vaio TR1MP.

BEagle
17th May 2004, 07:08
I've used a Dell Latitude X200 for a year now and it's been excellent. Normally I only need a plug-in USB memory stick to transfer data; however, if I need 3.5 diskette or CD-ROM drives, I just click the computer into it's matching 'media base'.

They've stopped making the X200 now and the replacement model, the X300 doesn't have a 3.5 diskette drive in it's mediabase, just a CD-ROM drive and a subwoofer.

However, I won't recommend a Dell to anyone as their customer service is utterly appalling. They broke my old Latitude LT when in their 'care' and I'm still waiting for a response from their Bray, Eire headquarters.....

Have a look at the smaller IBM thinkpads...or Sony Vaio.

Evo
17th May 2004, 07:16
I was a very happy user of a Sony Vaio N505X (running Linux ;) ). It had two years of hard use while I was commuting by train, and the quality and reliability was excellent. Not the smallest or lightest you can get (roughly 10" diagonal, weight about 2 lbs.) but the right balance of size and ease of use. If I needed a similar machine today I'd go looking for whatever the modern equivalent is.

Customer service? Dunno, never needed it. :ok:

StirStick
18th May 2004, 02:33
Bummer, I looked for the price and it says "discontinued"!

Memetic
18th May 2004, 21:21
www.oqo.com

I'd like to try one.