PDA

View Full Version : Hype ?

zorrotfb
15th May 2004, 18:40
This is taken from the website of one of the UK's leading FTOs :

A Career in Aviation

If you are interested in training to be a commercial pilot now's the time to do it. The aviation industry is expecting steady growth in the next decade and the job market is buoyant.....

....this is great news if you are thinking of embarking on a career in aviation. There is demand for newly trained pilots by large operators such as BA and Virgin...

I wouldn't expect any FTO to project a negative perspective on prospective trainees' employment prospects but is this taking the pi55 a bit ?

G SXTY
15th May 2004, 19:04
There is demand for newly trained pilots by large operators such as BA and Virgin...

Really? BA have only just started recruiting experienced DEPs, and since when have Virgin taken 'newly trained pilots'?

I'd like to see them back that claim up with some hard evidence.:hmm:

PPRuNe Towers
16th May 2004, 12:47
You've been registered a good while zorrotfb.

You know it is absolute crap, we know it is and it's been discussed many times here. Don't understand your reticence in naming and shaming. Tosh written to prey on the naive and stupid. It must make the flying and ground instructors there cringe everytime it's brought up.

However, until they are shamed and embarrassed into removing it you can bring it up as often as you like :ok: :ok:

Regards
Rob

witchdoctor
17th May 2004, 13:38
Definitely reads like OAT. Same crap that gets sent out every week with the latest 'mystery airline recruiting' bulletins.

I would check, but I think their site is bust.

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th May 2004, 16:12
The flying training industry is a pool of sharks feeding on piranhas kept by vipers.

BA nor Virgin will be impressed by your 185hrs TT. Add a nought and they still wouldn't wipe you off their shoes - they'd buy new ones.

Fact is the market IS picking up. Good news for those poised on the brink with Frzn ATPL's and a bit of experience. But not really a clarion call for all and sundry to commence basic training. You've got to be in it to win it (as the late lamented Roy Castle would have jocularly reminded us) BUT there is NO rush.

I'd wait a little while whilst the pool of qualified - nay lake, nay reservoir - low time pilots starts to drain.

Timing is everything in this business.

Good luck,

Straightandlevel80kt
19th May 2004, 20:21
I think I have seen that webpage, but I can't remember who owns it. I wonder if maybe it just hasn't been updated since 2001. One would hope that the staff would tell prospective candidates on their trial lesson that actually it's all poppycock!