PDA

View Full Version : Approach Height

cessna l plate
15th May 2004, 17:17
Before I start, this is not an anorrak question, just to settle an argument between family members. I could look the answer up in the AIP or get the plates out, but I', not going near the flying club for a few weeks( the wife says I spend too much time there )

So, on approach for 24R at MAN, what is the altitude at 9.5miles DME?? (It goes straight over my house. My Dad recons they are still a good few thousand feet high, I recon a few hundred!)

Thanks
Cessna L Plate (Last detail was first solo in January before anyone looks at my profile)

A-FLOOR
15th May 2004, 17:22
I don't know the G/S angle for that particular runway, but a good rule of thumb is to multiply the distance in NM with 100 times the G/S angle (which is about 3 - 3,5 degrees for most runways) to get the height above the field at that point.

So that would be 9.5 x 3 x 100 = 2850 feet, assuming the miles you're talking about are indeed nautical miles and not statute ones. :O

Note that this equation assumes all aircraft are already established on the G/S, which most probably is the case at 9,5 miles, especially the bigger ones. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks concerning the difference in altitude between MAN and your shack, but it looks like the old man is right :sad: :E

BOAC
15th May 2004, 17:39
C1p - the 'platform' for the approach is 3000' with descent at 8.4 from touchdown, so they will not normally be below 3000' Altitude (2751' above aerodrome elevation)

Flughaven
18th May 2004, 19:49
Just goes to show that Parents know best!!!:D