PDA

View Full Version : A must read - JAA (joint aviation authority???)

birdlady
15th May 2004, 12:01
Hi everyone!!!!

I have a bone to pick with the JAA system - from what I have seen so far it can be very difficult to know where you stand with regard to training (and anything else really).
I have been a member of pprune for only a few months and think it is an absoulutly brillant website full of very useful info. From what I have seen so far, a lot of the topics seem to be concerned with JAA training and converting one countries JAA licence to another and what happens if you start training in one country and then go to another. It seems that a lot of the time this cannot be done. For example, you can't start JAA training here in SA and then go to Ireland or the UK and finish your JAA licence (whether it be PPL, CPL,IR....) there. It also seems that if you obtain a US JAA CPL/Multi IR the UK is very reluctant to except this from what I have heard (anybody who's willing to correct me on this please do). Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the whole point of a JAA licence is to be able to use the licence in any JAA state. This is what I was told in the begining and the only reason why I went with the JAA and not the South African Licence.

I have completed the JAA PPL (some time ago) here in sa and soon after I completed it the school went bankrupt. I was unable to obtain a JAA radio licence and now have to get myself on an aeroplane, fly all the way to the UK just to obtain the radio licence so I can submit my test forms and obtain my JAA PPL. If anyone has got any advice on what I can do with regard to my Radio Licence it would be very much appreciated or if you have got schools I can go to in London to obtain my radio licence in as little time as possible.
Thanks Birdlady:ok: :ok: :ok:

BillieBob
15th May 2004, 14:53
Well! So many misconceptions.
For example, you can't start JAA training here in SA and then go to Ireland or the UK and finish your JAA licence South Africa is not a member state of the JAA so it's not surprising that you cannot start training there and then continue in a JAA member state. The one JAA school established in South Africa was approved by the UK CAA and was, in the CAA's eyes, exactly the same as any UK approved school. You got a JAA PPL there, as I understand, and there is nothing at all to prevent you from continuing with the CPL/IR/ATPL in any JAA member state. Even if you didn't complete all of the PPL requirements, you may transfer your training to any other FTO or Registered Facility approved by the UK, which is currently your State of Licence Issue.
It also seems that if you obtain a US JAA CPL/Multi IR the UK is very reluctant to except this Absolutely untrue. Since the UK CAA approves all JAA modular training in the US, it could hardly be reluctant to accept the training provided by the school it approves.
I was unable to obtain a JAA radio licence and now have to get myself on an aeroplane, fly all the way to the UK just to obtain the radio licence so I can submit my test forms and obtain my JAA PPL The Radio Licence is not a JAA requirement for the issue of a PPL. It is a requirement under UK legislation that pilots hold a FRTOL if they wish to use RT in UK airspace. All that is required is that you have passed the Communications theoretical knowledge examination at PPL level. The PPL and FRTOL are two separate licences under different legislation.

birdlady
16th May 2004, 16:20
Billie Bob

Are you sure that the radio licence is not needed to obtain the PPL because according to the UK CAA it is. I finally managed to get hold of them on the phone (after 6weeks of emailing and phoning I had to get a friend in the UK to do it for me) and they said that in order to issue my PPL I need the radio licence. See this is the problem I have with the JAA - the rules change depending on who you speak to. I would love to come back to the Uk to do my training I just dont have the money so I will go the south african route and eventually convert. Its good fun flying here, the weather is great and its cheap.

What is the point of obtaining a JAA licence if it can't be used elsewhere. Please if someone could answer this question for me it would set my mind at rest. I have spent a small fortune obtaining my JAA PPL and it seems so far that its not worth the paper that it was written on because I can't use it anywhere.

Having said all this, I still think the training side of JAA is excellent. Really the only problem I have with it is all those bl**dy rules and regulations that no one seems to be able to get straight. Sorry one just gets a bit p***ed off.

Billies
17th May 2004, 11:46
Birdlady...

Check your messages, have posted a response there..

BillieBob
17th May 2004, 18:38
Are you sure that the radio licence is not needed to obtain the PPL because according to the UK CAA it is. Then I suggest you refer them to LASORS paragraph C1.6, which in part states:

A JAR-FCL PPL(A) may be issued without an FRTOL, however individuals will still be required to pass the JAR-FCL Communications (PPL) theoretical knowledge examination for the issue of the JAR-FCL PPL(A).

You will have taken the Communication theoretical knowledge examination as part of your PPL - unless the school ripped you off for that as well.

What is the point of obtaining a JAA licence if it can't be used elsewhere. Any JAA licence can be used in any other JAA member state. A JAA PPL is issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 and, as such, is recognised by every other ICAO member state. How do you get the idea that a JAA licence 'can't be used elsewhere'?

If you have a problem with rules and regulations then you're really going to enjoy the Air Law exam at ATPL level!!

birdlady
17th May 2004, 21:06
Hi Billie bob

I have passed the communications exam. Im just confused that the licencing department in the UK told me I needed my RT exam to get my PPL. They just wanted more money from me - thats what it was... its a conspiracy. Not impressed Ive been stressing and stressing..... well atleast I dont have to get myself on an aeroplane and fly all the way to the UK..... Bl**dy hell does anyone at the CAA know what they are doing.

THANK YOU for clearing that up.... birdlady