PDA

View Full Version : Dvd+/_?

Tosh McCaber
15th May 2004, 10:09
Does anyone have a feel for whicch of the recordable DVD formats is coming out on top- DVD+ or DVD-? I guess that the respective sales of recordable media might give a clue?

The Panasonic recorders get great reviews, but the Phillips format seems to be popular too??

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th May 2004, 13:04
Tosh McCaber,

Right now +R is winning but that does not mean anything. (Remember the Betamax was the better of the two formats and look what happened to it.)

Take Care,

Richard

stagger
21st May 2004, 01:19
No idea which format will last but for those who are confused about the various formats there's a good table here that explains it all...

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.1

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd May 2004, 13:15
charlie s charlie,

You will also find 8X DVD+/-RW Drives that only burn +R in 8X, -R in 4X, +/-RW in 2X.

Take Care,

Richard

spannersatcx
22nd May 2004, 22:05
it's to do with the way the disks are made and having the firmware updated to recognise these disks. You normally find a firmware update allows the latest speed disks to be used, shortly after they have been released.

Lost_luggage34
23rd May 2004, 00:12
Philips invented the stuff as they did with the CD.

Make your own conclusions - Richard's analogy with Betamax hits the nail on the head.

Timothy
23rd May 2004, 00:38
I have a Philips domestic DVD writer and it's absolute crap.

It cannot read half the disks we put in - they have to be completely clean and unscratched, and getting it recognise that it has a recording source is a nightmare.

I'd give them a couple more years to get their sh1t together!

Lost_luggage34
30th May 2004, 06:11
I cannot speak for your individual Phillips CD player.

Much stuff these days has badges on which in no way reflects the inards.

Bottom line is, when the original demo was done, Phillips talked about how data loss could be catered for I.e. scratches on the media.

The chap doing the demo proceeded to take a pair of scissors to a CD, replacing it into the player and it still played perfectly.

That's for audio CDs - the equipment makes best guess at the blank bits. No way in the world it will work for data CDs.

I truly believe their system works. I am a bit of audiophile. I have several CDs which if I hold to the light I can see light through in pinpricks. Bung them in and I can't hear any jumps, blips or otherwise.

So that was my point.