PDA

View Full Version : Loading software in English

Le Pen
15th May 2004, 08:12
Hi guys,

I live in France and am running XP Pro. Often when I load new software I am given the option to choose which language I want it to run in. However, I have just installed the software for a new MS mouse and keyboard. It auto installed in French!! As have a few other things.

On the CD there are Enlish and German subheadings.

Which settings do I have to change to get my PC to autoload software in English.

Thanks.

LP

ramsrc
18th May 2004, 06:46
This is a tad tricky to do as will become clear. I asume that you are running the French version of XP, or else you wouldn't be having the problem.

One of the "advantages" of Windows XP (and some of the earlier versions of Windows) is that it automatically detects which version of Windows you are running and installs the software in the correct language for that version. Great if you are in France, and speak French. However, if you are an ex-pat and want to install software in English that you bought in France then things become difficult!

The best way to ensure you can install as much in English as possible is to go to the "regional settings and language options" in Control panel. Select the "advanced" tab and change the "Language for non-unicode programs" to English. Next, go to the "regional options" and change the standards and formats to English.

I expect you have a French keyboard (azerty), so you will need to configure that. Go to the languages tab of the "regional settings and language options" and you should have an input locale for "English". You will need to change the keyboard settings here to French.

Bear in mind that this is a compromise. It is unfortunately not a replacement for the English language version of Windows. Until Microsoft sells a version with all languages, allowing you to choose which one you want to use (about as likely as Windows becoming open source :) ) then this will always be the case. You could force all installations to occur in English (by hacking the registry) but you will end up with bizarre mixed language menus and dialogues which are not to be recommended (believe me, I tried it!)

Hope that at least helps a little.