PDA

View Full Version : Tips for flying in the USA...got any??

PaddyMcGinty
14th May 2004, 14:02
I'm due to do a 100hour hour building spree in the US over a 5 weeks period and also a ME rating in a Seneca 1. What i want to know really is apart from not burning holes in the sky, are there any FAA publications i should read up on before going over. I know the RT over there is different and some aspects of airlaw. If anyone has any experiences of hourbuilding they would like to share which may benefit other hourbuilders please post it here. All info is welcome...positive and negative.

Steve

minus273
14th May 2004, 19:01
Hey there

If you are thinking of pretty much staying in one place I would get an instructor to fly with you for a few hours show you the ropes and explain the differences. Even if not staying in the same place that would still be a good idea.

There are a few things that you need to know so you do not get a lovely visit from the government bods. Things are fairly simple as long as you stay outside of the busy busy airspace.

I do not know where your flying but if it is out my way PHX. I will be willing to talk to you and help anyway I can.

PaddyMcGinty
14th May 2004, 23:07
I'm doing my hourbuilding with Debenair in florida. I'm going to do my ME first so that way i can make use of having an instructor there with me to get used to the restrictions and airspace. For my hourbuilding i intend on maybe doing an east-west cross country and one of my stop offs is phoenix cos i got family there. You know of any books i should read up on, etc? Thanks

Steve

mad_jock
14th May 2004, 23:15
Nah don't worry about it paddy.

Your instructor will check you out and tell you about UNICOM airfields, how to join un controlled circuits etc.

Apart from that have a read about high altitude, high density altitude operations in low powered aircraft. Apart from that it pretty easy flying n the US from my experence. If most of the inbreed **** wits can survive in the air over there you shouldn't have a problem. To be honest your accent and lack of pubic hair will get you off with most things, none terror related that is.

MJ

minus273
15th May 2004, 02:39
Hey

Well lets see if you can find a copy of the US Commercial Jeppseson book to have a read through that would cover the vast majority of the airlaw stuff.

Also try a few of the US websites that cover airlaw, there is a simple diagram on this one.

www.flightinfo.com (regs)
www.landings.com (regs and other stuff)
www.airnav.com (good for data on airports you are going to)
www.duats.com (Nav stuff but have to have US licence)
adds.aviationweather.gov (Weather stuff)

No one is going to expect you to know everything and most places are pretty friendly and if you get fueled at a school or FBO they will usually help you out with navigation.

The rules are fairly simple buy the current map and AFD.

If you are flying long cross countrys stick to airways and get flight following. You dont need to even file. I have done a few cross countries from Texas to Boston and Texas to PHX. Didn't file for any of them except before I got into IFR.

Is a nice way to fly they have not gone and tried to turn it into rocket science as it isn't all you are doing is flying a plane.

So main things really get some ground from the guy/girl that checks you out, try to do some studying on the airspace and regs before you get here and don't be afraid to ask as most of them love a UK accent and will want to talk to you. Oh also take a camera along as you can get some really good photos along the way.

If you do come to PHX watch out for the mountains as on a windy day the mountain wave is a pain in the ass in small plane.

Like I said if you are out this way message me and I will see if I can be of any help.

George Semel
15th May 2004, 22:26
Don't try to read more into it, than you have to. Flying here in the States is no different than flying anywere else. Of course we have more Aviation than most countries, and the FAA makes it as simple as it can, in these I will sue for anything times. You are doing a Multi Rating here, by the time you get that done, you will be fine with how things are done here. The Dirty little secret here is that you could fly from one end of the country to the other and not have to talk to anybody if you so choose. You go over to Orlando a couple of times with your Instructor and the rest will be a piece of cake. I would suggest that you get a US sectional chart, don't matter which one, and read it. Most of all you are going to need to know is printed on the chart. While at it get a copy of the FAR/AIM. Read part 91 once or twice, keep a copy to refer to while flying, outside of some language differences, most of the Rules are pretty standard no matter where you fly.

minus273
16th May 2004, 19:34
Hey,

Just thought of something else, may or may not be any help. There was a book that we used in training in Canada called "From the Ground Up". I was in the store the other day and saw that they have now released a US version of this, it is a good book and covers all the topics quite well and will have an Air-Law section that covers the US.

If you have a spare 30GBP may be worth having a see if you can order it. Just make sure you get the US version as otherwise yo will get the Canadian Air-Law and Met which is different.

Hope your planning for the trip is going well

Found a link for the book:

www.avidaviator.com/from_ground_up.html

PaddyMcGinty
16th May 2004, 20:54
Thanks all for your help. keep sharing your experiences and information because this thread could be a lot of help to people considering hourbuilding in the US. Thanks again.

Steve

N Reg Aztec
17th May 2004, 12:25
Steve,

If you're planning x-ctry flying then it's worth getting used to the breifing system in the US. It's a freephone number, and a bit of a one stop shop covering weather, notams and filing.

I've always found them to be very helpful, and by talking them through your route they will cross check for any last minute TFR (temporary flight restirctions). With the election coming later in the year the white house roadshows will be in full swing and there are "roving" TFRs that follow the president and other top brass around. The 1800 - WX BRIEF service will update you just before you fly - good policy with the current security atmosphere.

Other than that the main differences I've found are:

- Financial: you'll put your hand in your pocket a lot less, particularly with free landings / approaches.
- ATC: service is more widely available and as discussed by others the flight following service should be used whenever it's available.
- Airspace: Brush up on the different classes of airspace (or more importantly their US interpretation). particularly if you're not familiar with class E airpace. Aopa have a good overview on the ASF pages of their site.
- Hotels: If going x-c make sure you ask the FBO for to book it for you at their rates. They usually have access to block rates, and they sometimes get you better rooms (pilot facilities).
- Most FBOs ("handling agents") will have crew cars. These are usually available for free for a short period - useful for going into town for a meal etc.

Drop me a PM if you need more info.

N Reg.

After thought: One of the routes that I've flown before is FL - south carolina - washinton - new York - Niagra - boston - texas - FL. Certainly beats drilling holes in the sky and you get a good mix of major / minor airports. Do you have an IR?

PaddyMcGinty
17th May 2004, 22:03
Dont have the IR yet. Just building my hours up to about 150 or so to go for my CPL. Should i plan my x country before i go over or wait until i'm there and have all the charts and stuff?

Steve

GrkPilot
17th May 2004, 23:12
Flying in the United States is fun and easy I think, especially in Florida. Just don't piss of the ATC ... they will cancel your VFR Flight Following in a matter of seconds. :cool:
Good Luck!

Charlie Zulu
18th May 2004, 07:18
As GrkPilot says flying in the USA is fun and it is indeed in Florida.

However, personally I'd prefer to recommend California, Arizona, Nevada as there is so much variety in destinations, scenerey, mountains, etc...

For instance, you could be at the beach in Santa Barbara in the morning, then an hour and a half away you could be at 6,500' MSL in Big Bear City... After dinner it'd be an hour and a half to Las Vegas for a night stop... The next morning you could take another flight over to the Grand Canyon, it'd take about an hour and a half. After sight seeing around the area take a trip down to Sedona for dinner (don't forget to take a slight detour to see the Meteor Crater).

:D

Florida in comparison is flat. About the only thing to bump into is some high masts and other aeroplanes. Although there are some great destinations in Florida such as Cedar Key, Lakeland (nice restaurant), Key West and don't forget the Bahamas!!!

Have a great time... I'm off in less than six weeks time now!!!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

student-mork
18th May 2004, 17:07
Recommend www.airnav.com , its a great site as it has loads of info plus an automatic route finder that will take you to the fields with the cheapest fuel (every penny helps) also if you want a cheap hotel, www.priceline.com and .co.uk is useful for getting a room for less than retail. Most FBOs over there are really friendly and have free coffee and snacks, so you can freeload your way around the place...its fantastic! A great place to hourbuild, but dont forget to stop and smell the roses!
Also if youre going to be using a seneca in the uk, if you havent already done so get the school's checklist and use that in the US, your instructors shouldnt have a problem with it.
Have a great time!:ok:

GrkPilot
18th May 2004, 19:42
Charlie Zulu,
I agree the place is pretty boring especially when flying cross country's from East to West Coast, all you see is farms. Just look out for those tall towers they have in some places :cool:
Key West!!, Great place...I remember I did the NDB approach into Marathon, great scenery. For some reason I always loved flying into Naples, Florida, the approach into runway 5 (I think it is) over the coast is beautiful!!

PaddyMcGinty
18th May 2004, 20:16
Just to clarify things about my x country, I'm planning to fly from Florida to Arizona and then to California and back, not just from east to west in Florida. Thats why i need all the info i can get. I'm planning on getting a good camera also. Where would people recommend as sight seeing? So far on my list i have places like:

Grand Canyon
Hoover Dam
Meteor Crater site (

And a few others.

I'm fairly young (19), i'm going on my own and i just want to make the best of the whole trip. Thanks.

Stephen

minus273
18th May 2004, 21:15
Hey there,

If you are coming to Arizona and need any help PM when you get here.

Other things to do in AZ if you have the time I guess would be to go down to Tuscon and see the Boneyard where they park all the planes. I think that it costs a little but I am sure would be well worth a trip.

To get from Florida to here just be careful of the mountains when you get to West Texas and beyond and when you cross them try to do it during the day as it is not a pleasent experience at night on your own.

Crossing the mountains I would recommend comming south to El Paso and taking the airway through the pass there. The other passes are in the middle of nowhere and is there is also not alot to see.

I would look at getting WAC charts as well if you are going to be doing long cross countries not as detailed but makes the VFR planning easier for sure especially if you are flying around at 10,000ft.

I am sure you are competent and all but make sure that you avoid the restricted areas as we have some nice ones around here. White sands missile range, where your twin will look just about the same size as a target drone. :)

Anyways feel free to mail me with anything that you need help with.

PaddyMcGinty
18th May 2004, 21:59
Thanks Minus, and everyone else. I'll defo drop down and try to get to tuscon, it'd be really cool to see all the old aircraft. By teh way i'll be doing my x country in a C152 so density altitudes will prob be a big factor in my Nav with teh hot weather.

steve

plumponpies
19th May 2004, 15:42
Did my hourbuilding in Fl. with Debonair, Cracking outfit!
Just enjoy the flying, Cedar Key is a must!
The whole flying thing across the pond, is designed to be easy and hassle free! Unlike Blighty!
The only intersting "problem" i encountered, was running a rich mixture in a hot, humid climate! Makes your ar*se twitch a bit when theres nothing but gator infested swamp below you!