PDA

View Full Version : PIA Landing Gear Incident in DXB

Plastique
17th Oct 2001, 12:19
I hear that Dubai airport was closed due to an Airbus landing gear collapse. Does anybody have any details? :confused:

Elevation
17th Oct 2001, 15:51
What ?
Another gear up ?
If my memory serves me right, there was an Aeroflot who belly-landed in DXB last month.
Airport was then closed for about 12 hours, havoc all around then.

bobtoldmetodoit
17th Oct 2001, 17:05
http://www.khaleejtimes.co.ae/uae.htm

Dubai Airport resumes normal activity

Dubai - The Dubai Civil Aviation Authority has announced the re-opening of the Dubai International Airport for normal air traffic activities after more than four-hour closure caused by Pakistani airliner, PIA flight 231, which skidded off the runway at 02:15 today during landing. The airbus A300 was on a normal flight schedule from Peshawar, Pakistan, to Dubai. All flights to Dubai airport were subsequently diverted to the Sharjah, Abu Dhabi and Muscat airports until the Dubai airport was reopened to traffic later at 6:30 am.
According to Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, chairman of the emirate airline, the airport was closed to traffic because the second runway was, at the moment, being technically improved with high-tech electronic equipment, adding that traffic will no longer be diverted to any airport when the second runway is put into use from October 22.

Sheikh Ahmed commended the various sections of the airport's authority for a job well done on such an emergency case. According to a press release General Civil Aviation Authority, GCAA, the approach and landing of the aircraft was normal. But during the landing roll, the aircraft left the right side of the runway at slow speed and came to rest on the unprepared surface 50 metres from the runway facing 90 degree to the landing direction, the press release said, adding that all 139 passengers and 11 crew were evacuated safely with only 21 suffering slight injuries and were treated at the airport's medical centre.

The GCAA, as the federal authority responsible for the accident investigation has initiated full investigations and has already removed flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder from the aircraft for further investigation and analysis. Initial investigation reveals failure of the right main landing gear. The accident will be investigated thoroughly with close co-operation with the French and Pakistani authorities to establish the cause and to prevent similar accident in the future, the press release said. - WAM

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: bobtoldmetodoit ]

newswatcher
18th Oct 2001, 11:38
From the Dubai Gulf News:

http://www.gulfnews.com/images/2001/10/hi/18_crash.jpg

Gulfer
18th Oct 2001, 12:40
Where`s the right side THS/Elevator gone ?

Mode7
18th Oct 2001, 13:43
Gulfer, I hope you are not a pilot with a class one medical. Do you have a brail screen maybe? :eek:

Desk Driver
18th Oct 2001, 14:48
Mode 7.

When Gulfer says "right" he means the right side of the aircraft not the picture :rolleyes:
Who ties your shoelaces before you go flying then? ;)

CedarBus
18th Oct 2001, 14:58
Relax Everybody!
The Right elevator of the plane is not apparent at first, as it blends with the runway surface. But after careful examination you can figure out it's still there.

GWH
18th Oct 2001, 15:21
Hey Gulfer,the Royal Flying Corps used to have a small squadron of aviators just like you. They were known as the Twenty Minuters! :eek: :eek: :eek:

SaturnV
18th Oct 2001, 16:19
For an on-board (first class) passenger's account of this landing, see the Reliable Source column in the Oct 18 Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12780-2001Oct18.html

The passenger reported it felt as if the plane had hit something in the air, and then landed fast and "wobbly". Also reported a "huge crack" in the fuselage so I guess it is a writeoff.

NTL
18th Oct 2001, 23:27
Anybody notice the Washington Post has the picture the wrong way around? It shows the damaged side as the left hand side, not the right as is the case.

sanjosebaz
18th Oct 2001, 23:55
Yes - Caption also reads "... rests on the tarmac". Unless tarmac is made of sand in Dubai, they got that wrong, too :eek:

Just goes to show you can't trust the press ;)

Rocket Polish
19th Oct 2001, 04:06
Rumour has it that it was a nosewheel steering failure. The aircraft left the runway at low speed onto the sand where the righthand main gear collapsed.

lumbalund
19th Oct 2001, 15:37
The accident occured due to the right main gear collapsing at around 85kts.According to the operating crew there was a loud bang when the gears were extended but no indication of any failure until the gear collapsed.All indications in the cockpit showed the gears were down and locked. :cool:

Gulfer
19th Oct 2001, 17:37
Now I've seen it on a much bigger screen all is apparent.
Yours sincerely
Mr Magoo ( complete with class one medical )

Biggles Flies Undone
19th Oct 2001, 17:38
Perhaps a bit of sympathy is called for here. Their insurance renewed on 15/10 and (allegedly) they opted to self-insure their hull risks....

aviatorpk
22nd Oct 2001, 22:43
I GOT TO KHOW THEY WILL REPLACE AIRBUS 300 WITH 777 AND 737/800 VERY SOON ;)