PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Cougar (GA 7)

P!ggsy
13th May 2004, 10:33
Anyone flown one of these bad boys? Any particular handling peculiarities I should know about? I've got a fairly good idea of performance but I'd like to know a bit more about the detail of how it's operated / standard checks etc.

Thanks

YYZ
13th May 2004, 10:55
I’ve not flown one yet but I believe they use this craft to teach Multi at Leeds Flying School?

Sure they would be happy to give you details for all the questions you have.

YYZ

cortilla
13th May 2004, 10:58
probably flew the ones you're going to fly a while a go. It's an absolute dog if you loose an engine. get the gear and flaps up sharpish, or you'll be descending instead of climbing after an engine failure. Apart from the checklist you'll get, not sure what else you want to know. send me a pm with specific questions, and i'll answer them as best i can.

Quick edit. If you get checklist version three, it's wrong in certain places. In the emergency section it says:
Engine fire.......
Fuel cocks ON

Hmm ok if you want you're wing to burn through a bit quicker.

LFS
13th May 2004, 11:10
P1ggsy,

If you give us a call or drop me a PM one of our instructors would be more than happy to answer any questions you have on the GA7.

Dylan

dreamingA380
13th May 2004, 11:21
Hi Piggsy,

i just renewed my multi on one...

please pm me if you have any specific questions.

yes they are a dog performance wise compared to other light twins.... but they are a great instrument platform.... extremely stable.

take it easy.

High Wing Drifter
13th May 2004, 11:37
There was a review in Flyer two months ago. Concurred with the views here...a dog!

GARDENER
14th May 2004, 20:12
The one I flew for the CPL/IR was G-REAT!

Someone out there will get it!
Heavy? Yes, but once trimmed it sits where you want it to either in the cruise, hold, ILS whatever. Under performs SE but stops you from shooting through an assigned alt! Loved flying the GA7.

G-LOST
15th May 2004, 08:19
Have to concur. An excellent training platform, both for student and instructor. I had flown the Partenavia, Seminole and the Be76 prior to the Cougar and had heard all sorts of nasty tales, but they proved untrue as the GA7 is more docile than the aforementioned. The lack of performance is an advantage in many ways. If you can haul a Cougar around on one engine, you learn to appreciate why light piston twins are the most dangerous a/c out there and hence to respect them.

LOST

BritishGuy
20th May 2004, 07:24
Yep-flown them quite a bit down in Biggin Hill. Let me tell you, it's a MULTI ENGINE AIRCRAFT by name only! It has two engines - TRUE, but it really doesn't let you work the thing as you would expect a light twin. You can't load it much more that a light single to be honest with you, and if you lose an engine, as it was said before, gear and flaps up straight away. But saying all that, a nice twin to fly-I enjoyed it.