PDA

View Full Version : New products?

Rugz
13th May 2004, 09:48
Had to do a presentation for my business college course last night, one of those ones where you get the assignment on the night and have 2 hours to do the research before presenting to the rest of the class.

The assignment was to take an existing product or product range and prepare a presentation on two new market segments that we could extend to.

Our initial product was Guinness (of course :ok: ) and our two new products were:

1. Chocolate flavoured Guinness (normal Guinness with a hint of chocolate specifically for the ladies market)
2. Alcohol free Guinness (to be marketed as a healthy low sugar alternative to pop drinks - therefore target market would primarily be kids)

This led us come up with a new slogan for Guinness:

"A drink for all the family"

Had 'em laughing all evening with that presentation!

Worth me emailing Guinness? :E

Anyone have any other daft products that we are obviously in need of?

eal401
13th May 2004, 10:06
Alcohol free Guinness
Are you mad?? :p

Youngs already do a Double Chocolate Stout, and v. nice it is too in moderation.

How about White Chocolate Mars Bars? No idea why I thought of it, but anything is possible!

Hufty
13th May 2004, 10:19
I want a product that automatically searches all radio frequencies while I am in the car and tunes in the radio while also scanning my brain to know what kind of music I want to listen to. It would save that annoying issue of tuning into a radio station while the last bars of your favourite song are playing!

Also a coat that makes me invisible

:E

Lukeafb1
13th May 2004, 10:27
Eal,

Mars have already piloted a white Mars in my area. That was about 6/9 months ago. Haven't seen anything more of it since. Actually, its taste wasn't very "Marsy".

eal401
13th May 2004, 10:35
Oof, they're just one step ahead of me!!

Hufty, according to a little infomercial run repeatedly on BBC World (Like most of their programmes!), somebody has invented a coat that sort of makes you invisible. Can't really remember how it works though.

Grainger
13th May 2004, 10:44
Hufty: Hmmm, a car stereo that just plays the sort of music you want to hear . . .

. . . while we're at it, let's cut out those annoying adverts and radio DJs droning on. And we could do without the hissing and crackling of the airwaves . . .

. . . and if you just catch the end of a favourite song you should be able to press a button and hear it again from the start . . .

. . . congratulations ! You've just invented the CD player !!! :=

MadsDad
13th May 2004, 10:48
And while we are on the subject of car radios.

How about a device that sends a mega-volt electric charge through the chair of any DJ who hits the 'traffic news' button before the actual traffic news starts (or forgets to hit the 'traffic news off' button when it has finished) and interrupts my listening with his inane witterings when all I want is some possibly useful information. :E

Gainesy
13th May 2004, 10:54
A lectric typewriter fixed to a telly so yer can write on the telly and send it by a phone to er...erm...bugga.:(

Hufty
13th May 2004, 11:30
CD player eh??? Naaahh, it'll never catch on! :D

Talking about invisible clothing, there was a craze in Japan for women to wear skirts with a print off an ar5e on the back - looked very much like the lady in question was wearing a see through skirt - very clever!

G-ALAN
13th May 2004, 11:32
Alcohol free Guinness already exists. I've tried some, it's :yuk:

IB4138
13th May 2004, 12:18
You mean dark Kaliber.....the most foul attempt at alcohol free beer I have ever tasted. :yuk:

Lidl's is even better than that muck!:sad:

eal401
13th May 2004, 12:20
Alcohol free Guinness already exists.

AAAAARGH, no!!! :yuk: It's like decaffinated coffee, what the point of drinking it??

I never have alcohol free drinks, if I'm in the position to need such things I stick to juice or pop!

Send Clowns
13th May 2004, 12:50
eal, some people actually like coffee. Since a couple of cups of decent coffee have me bouncing off the walls, I switch to decaffeinated. If you bother to try I think you would find that the currently available decaff filter coffees are excellent - I suspect you would not be able to pick in a blind tasting.

Some people who are not alcoholics drink beer because it tastes good as well as for the narcotic effect. While I agree that alcohol-free beer does not taste nice, there are presumably people who like it (look, there are people who like Fosters and Carlsberg).

Ozzy
13th May 2004, 13:18
Hang on a second, didn't you get confused on what the assignment was? As you wrote it:The assignment was to take an existing product or product range and prepare a presentation on two new market segments that we could extend to. I don't see where it said create two new products, it said use the existing product, or product range.

So, assume the current market for Guiness is males, ages 25 to 45. You need to create two new market segments and convince them to buy the existing product - no changes to product. Now that's an assignment!

Females, 18 to 21, college students, promote Guinness as the "only smart choice" appealing to their newly found independence and their appreciation of themselves as, and all things, smart.

I would leave the kids market alone - bad karma maan. Go for the 50+ maried couple market, and run a promo showing how sharing a Guinness can "keep you young at heart" throwing in a humourous innuendo etc.

Sorry!:8

Ozzy

PS: Feel free to take to Guinness and donate proceeds to Danny

Send Clowns
13th May 2004, 14:12
How about older women with anaemia? I know two who were even told to drink it by their GPs (recommended diet: increase consumption of fruit, red meat, curry and chocolate and start to drink stout. Quite an easy one to stick to!). Some of us started drinking Guiness at 16, so the younger market is there!

eal401
13th May 2004, 14:20
Actually Ozzy, he did ask:
Anyone have any other daft products that we are obviously in need of?
So we are OK.

Send Clowns, it was only my opinion! Not a critisicm, perhaps you need to cut back the caffeine even more! ;)