PDA

View Full Version : Adverts onboard?

selfin
12th May 2004, 23:42
What bans, if at all, high profile advertising onboard aircraft? For example, ads plastered all over the tray tables?

This is a crisis
13th May 2004, 22:22
Not sure if there are any regs. Certainly in the days of Manx Airlines, all the tray tables had adverts on them visible when you pulled them down. They seemed to change on a regular basis too.

dada
14th May 2004, 00:56
nothing as far as i'm aware.

this flight is sponsored by ................

A Very Civil Pilot
16th May 2004, 15:26
KLM used to have some on the trays of some of the F100. When no paid ads were in place, the ad agencies blurb was on show. it stated something like a bus advert is seen for 5 seconds, a newspaper 10 secs etc, but this seat tray ad is seen for x hours. After looking at the same add for that amount of time, my thought was I'd be b*ggered if I'm going to buy you product.

I don't think the finances really add up to make it worthwhile. In a days work, a bus ad will be seen by thousands of people, but in an aircraft, assuming all trays with the same advert, for 8 sectors in a 737, there would only be 1184 people looking at it.

Back to the F100, and on one flight some bright spark had replaced a row of ads with those postcards you get from the phonebox. That would be worth looking at for an hour!

PAXboy
17th May 2004, 12:50
I do recall the tray table ads from Manx Airlines and I simply ignored them. They did not bother me, as I knew that Manx was a small company doing a fine job and I did not begrudge them any extra money that they could make.

Conversely, if one of the majors started pushing adverts up my nose, I would be very irritated. The cabin P/As about "Our partners in Grab-Your-Money-And-Run, will be glad to assist you" irritate me and I ignore them. I am paying for this service, if they start advertising towards me in a way that I cannot readily avoid, they will not get my business.

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Maxrev
19th May 2004, 17:24
I think that EZY are particularly cheeky in the on-board advertising PA stakes. I flew with them to BRS recently from NCL and barely had the speedbrakes popped on landing than the PA crackled into life and we were subjected to a whole host of information about new routes and the easyjet website etc that lasted until we'd taxied in, parked, shut down and the door was open.

pilotwolf
20th May 2004, 02:53
What about the ultimate advert where the actual aircraft fuselage is the advert?

hifive11
20th May 2004, 06:44
Pilotwolf

The fuselage of most of Aurigny's Trislanders are all one big advert, needless to say most of the adverts are from the finance industry. If anyone is ever in the Islands check out the feet on G-FTSE ;)

Hi5

Departures Beckham
21st May 2004, 17:59
Below is a list of Ryanair's 732's with adverts, although none of the 800's have adverts .... does anyone know why?

EICNT - Vodafone (formally The Sun/News Of The World)
EICNY - Kilkenny (Irish Beer)
EICJC - Hertz
EICJD - Eircell (Irish telecom company)
EICJE - Jaguar

crash_1983
21st May 2004, 18:14
Id like you to take a look at ryanairs pieces of aircraft advertising!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/581960/L/ (vodafone)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/580966/L/ (HERTZ rent a car)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/575084/L/ (jaguar)

to name but a few! not sure what other airlines do this, but hey if it brings in the money and its looks good, why not!

Departures Beckham
24th May 2004, 13:48
Some buses in London have now had a tv screens fitted which play continuous adverts, one located on the upper deck and one on the lower. Why not use the monitors onboard to show adverts, captive audience .... almost brainwashing.

PAXboy
24th May 2004, 17:13
The double deck bus from EDI into the town centre has rolling ads on TVs. Watch it/Ignore it makes no nevermind to me. The volume was not too loud.