PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Homes

Bletchley
12th May 2004, 22:37
Caught sight of a few moments of a TV programme called 'How Clean Is Your House' earlier this evening.

The woman whose house it was had not cleaned up for 24 years....and it certainly looked like it !

Couple of things to ponder :-

1 How can these people actually live in filth?

2 The kitchen utensils were coated in filthy grease, which presumably was used on a continuing basis

2 How do they they manage to stay healthy despite (presumably) being surrounded by just about every known form of bacteria?

3 Why are they actually are prepared to allow the world to know this?

Its put me right off taking tea in anyone's house right now !

AerBabe
12th May 2004, 23:12
How do they they manage to stay healthy despite (presumably) being surrounded by just about every known form of bacteria? The answer is in the question. They build up immunity from exposure. You'll find microbiologists rarely get food poisoning, because they're always playing around with the bugs that cause it. :yuk:

Wierd lot, microbiologists. :D

tony draper
12th May 2004, 23:32
True Aerbabe, tiz the reason this generation is so weedy and fall ill at the drop of a hat, they don't get enough good honest muck down their necks when they is sprogs like we did, when my mum bought vegatables they still had half the field stuck to em.

IB4138
12th May 2004, 23:44
Once reposessed a first floor flat. On getting front door open this foul stench came from within, necessitating the wearing of face masks to enter the premises.
On climbing the stairs, met a scene of utter devistation. Exit flat again to put on protective clothing and shoes!
The tenant had kept a pet sheep in the flat. It had p'd and [email protected] everywhere, eaten the furniture, carpets and wall paper.
Rubbish was all over the rooms and the bath was full to the top of stinking dirty clothes.

At another flat, with two living rooms, the tenant could not be bothered going to the dustbin. So he had simply filled the one room he didn't use with all his rubbish and left it to rot in piles.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :mad:

Bletchley
12th May 2004, 23:47
Same here, but I suggest that your Mum (like mine) cleaned the half of the field off first?

TamedBill
12th May 2004, 23:48
I caught the tail end of the programme :yuk: daft bat! revealing to hear her father had been a public health inspector though.

AerBabe
12th May 2004, 23:50
Was this house in the programme in, errr, Bletchley? From what I remember of the place it's a bit grotty. :}
My friend is a public health officer in Brum - has loads of horrible tales to tell about places he's been into. He's had to go into houses where they literally had to take the doors and windows out to get in past the rubbish.

Constable Clipcock
13th May 2004, 01:06
Then there are those who leave granny's corpse propped up rotting in a chair upstairs, drawing her Social Security benefits for years on end. Happens more often than most people care to believe.

Then too, there was a guy in Houston back in 1965 who disappeared without a trace, leaving only his neatly butchered parents in the freezer.

Then there was Jeffrey Dahmer....

Badness of housekeeping seems to be directly proportional to seriousness of being f***ed-up in the head.

"It places the lotion in the basket...."

reynoldsno1
13th May 2004, 01:17
Bet they only had a bath once a week as well...

Animalclub
13th May 2004, 01:55
All Poms are the same... aren't they?

ssultana
13th May 2004, 02:06
I think my flat can compete with any other out there.

The lounge has a sofa that we found outside, which has sharp bits of ply sticking out of it, and no covering.

The lounge floor has a ton of thick tomato juice on it which hasn't been cleaned up + paper, fag ends, fish, chips, plates, broken glass, ash, broken electrical items, a baby blackbird and it's mother which come each morning to feed on 'stuff', stray dogs + anything else you have ever lost. Probably some relatives that you have lost contact with. (There is always someone i don't know, usually female, wandering around the house or using the shower.

There are so many empty beer bottles that the smell of beer is similar to that of a brewery, not nice.

The bin stinks of fish and is overflowing onto the floor (hard to differentiate the two). The kitchen probably harbours Ecoli 0157, salmonella, dysentry, listeria campylobacter, etc so anything that isn't takeout could be dangerous.

Loose wires cover the stairs and hang from the ceiling (mostly where we have wired up broadband to the each room).

If it uses water, or tries to keep water out, it leaks.

If it uses drainage, it's blocked (including the toilet, beacuse some fool keeps using magazine pages to wipe, since buying t.p. is beyond them!).

If it uses electricity, it often doesn't work, or nobody has charged the key it.

A chair needs to be pushed against the oven door, beacuse it doesn't close properly.

The whole house stinks.

When i moved in i used to clean up, but when nobody else does, you give up.

My bedroom is nice though, thank god.

We have been warned by the council and our land lord to clean up, but what exactly we are supposed to do with three soaking mattresses and a broken bike, i have no idea.

I'm not proud of the slum of a house in which i reside, but if 7 student men live in a house, it will end up like this.
I'll try and post some photos!

Idunno
13th May 2004, 02:09
I've was house hunting recently, and my search concentrated on one of the more upmarket areas of Dublin. A place called Howth.
Detached properties in this area tend to fetch telephone number type figures. It would be hard to find anything below 1M euro.

But what I keep seeing time and again is these million+ euro homes that STINK, and are generally untidy, but often downright FILTHY. Totally off-putting.

I've been to less 'salubrious' areas to check out some properties and find them often in very good nick, and generally clean.

So what is it with 'Rich' folk? Are they really 'filthy rich' in the literal sense? I can understand a bit of pong (especially where the house is large and owned by an elderly person looking to trade down) but more often these houses are owned by wealthy middle aged people trading up! I recently saw one house which was owned by the CEO of a large builders suppliers. He had pictures of himself on his yacht all over the gaff, but the place looked like it had been maintained by a squatter on drugs.

I laugh when I watch those programs about selling houses on UK TV. The Brits seem to at least want to make an effort to tart the gaff up...but the Paddies (especially the loaded ones) couldn't be arsed. No need to when they know it'll still be fought over by the desperate punters.

Paracab
13th May 2004, 02:29
Recently had cause to enter the most disgusting house I've had the misfortune attend in my entire career.

Walked in and the air was thick with the appalling smell of 30+ years without being cleaned and a dog that used the whole place as a toilet.

Had to move some furniture which revealed that the carpet was originally red (as opposed to sticky black)

Had not been decorated since the 60s/70s judging by the decor.

A very sad state of affairs, and the owner was absolutely oblivious.

Just being in the place made me itch and when I got home I washed my uniform at 60 degrees. Twice.

jb.murdstone
13th May 2004, 08:26
That delightful old queer, Quentin Crisp (one of the stately homos of England) was fond of saying that he never cleaned his flat, because after five years the dust doesn’t get any thicker.

Have any of our more scientific brethren done any research on this?

Whirlygig
13th May 2004, 08:52
I think my flat can compete with any other out there.

Of course, but not if you're competing with other students 'cos the state of your abode sounds totally normal to me. If you've ever seen The Young Ones, you'll realize that was documentary not comedy ;) ;)

As soon as you graduate, you will become house proud overnight. All 7 of you !!

Cheers

Whirlygig

BlueDiamond
13th May 2004, 09:09
Dear God, the pukey smiley is certainly getting a workout on this thread.

With good reason. Some of the descriptions here are worse than disgusting.

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Gainesy
13th May 2004, 12:04
And there I was, agonising over a couple of muddy paw marks in the hall. Right, gets mop, leaps into action...

...paw marks gone.:)

pilotwolf
13th May 2004, 22:46
Like Paracab, being in the same line of work, it is frightening how some people live.

If I had £5 for every place I ve had to wipe my shoes on the way OUT I d have retired in luxury years ago.

Worst I can think of was the guy who was immobile and used to carry out his bodily functions in his chair... he'd actually started to grow around the rotting chair. .

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Dick Fisher
15th May 2004, 17:14
Mrs F came up with a good suggestion while watching this prog.

If, when the presenters revisit the cleaned house, it's not as they left it, the owner should pay out £1500 to charity.

It would help focus the minds of these slovenly g*ts.

flower
15th May 2004, 17:56
In a previous life I used to work as a negotiator with Carson & Company estate agents in the SE of England.
Most people took a great pride in their homes but a few had very different ideas on cleanliness.
We had one home which when a viewing was booked we would have to go down to at least 30 minutes before hand , wearing a pair of gloves we would pick up manky dirty underwear off the floors and hide it under even filthier duvets , we would have to open all the windows to give the house a rare glimpse as to what fresh air actually meant. The dirty dishes would be piled high in the kitchen, days and days worth also of empty take away packages littered the work surfaces.
We would always warn potential viewers of the state of the house but it still always came as a shock to them.
Advice was given on a daily basis to the vendors to clean up but they didn't understand why, as is typical they blamed us when the house wouldn't sell.

I worry when i see dust on my skirting boards, I suppose because I'm a product of a Sandhurst education. I do wonder what has happened to people when their homes become so neglected that they live in such conditions, there must be something very sadly wrong with them.

spork
15th May 2004, 19:48
We have been warned by the council and our land lord to clean up, but what exactly we are supposed to do with three soaking mattresses and a broken bike, i have no idea.Take them to the rubbish tip (no charge) or get your council to collect for a small fee. See the doctor about your mattress soaking problem.

Desert Nomad
16th May 2004, 05:32
A new thread could be started on Students Squalid Living Conditions.

When I was a student there were 5 of us in an old farmhouse that came with a cat. There was always an odd smell under the stairs but couldn't get under due to the washing machine being plumbed in there. Anyway, when moving out for some reason someone wanted the washing machine moved. Behind it was a scene that made two of us puke. The cat had been crapp1ng behind there for ages :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: