PDA

View Full Version : Favourite "war-time" movie?

BahrainLad
12th May 2004, 20:34
This thread is to find out PPruners favourite war-time movie.....i.e. one that perhaps does not directly deal with a specific battle or campaign, but more the historical events and politics surrounding such conflict.

For example, "Schindler's List" and "The Gathering Storm" would be candidates.

My favourite is "Conspiracy", a BBC/HBO co-production starring Kenneth Branagh, Stanley Tucci and Colin Firth. it harrowingly depicts the Wannsee Conference which formulated the Final Solution and gives perfect vision to the concept of 'banality of evil'. Consider that over a long boozy lunch of the type I have enjoyed so many times, a group of bureaucrats plotted the systematic annihilation of over 6 million people.

Disturbing but compelling.

Morpheme
12th May 2004, 20:40
Conspiracy gets my vote as well, BL. One of the most chilling pieces of drama I ever saw.

Closely followed by Patton - George C Scott's Oscar-winning performance was astonishing, and the vision of "Ol' Blood and Guts" was equally compelling.

And also The Tuskegee Airmen - the story of the first black fighter squadron in the US Army. Brilliant and moving.

tony draper
12th May 2004, 20:48
Yes indeed y the Conspiracy and The Gathering storm were peaches among the turnips the tv companies churn out now,what with there silly little plots written to socialy engineer the mouth breathers with stock characters that are interchangable betwixt series without any body even noticing, crap acting and mind numbingly silly story lines
Most TV dramas now are about the level of soap opera and the soap operas are just a job creation scheme for bloody show biz luvvies.
Now that one has had ones GOM rant I agree wholeheartedly with your choice.
Conspiracy.
The Gathering Storm.

In fact I think I was so overwealmed at seeing something of that quality of Conspiracy made by and being shown by Brit TV I posted about it on proon the same night.

airship
12th May 2004, 20:57
Who's got a video of Conspiracy to lend me then? Only got 6 TV channels here, all in French... :)

BahrainLad
12th May 2004, 21:04
Airship, you can buy it from Amazon.fr for the pricely sum of 6,95 here (http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005YUO1/171-9642177-1428228).

Davaar
12th May 2004, 22:05
I thought "The Counterfeit Traitor" (is that exactly right ?), with William Holden and Lilli Palmer, was very interesting. Based on truth, I gather.

I knew one of Lilli Palmer's husbands. My claim to fame.

tony draper
12th May 2004, 22:14
Got yer beat Mr Davaar, my father in laws brother John, ran off with George Rafts girlfriend, a minor movie star of the time called Evelyn Lay(sp)?
Met him once, he was getting old by then, but still a complete cad and a bounder.

Davaar
12th May 2004, 22:26
I see my fame lasted nine of the promised fifteen minutes.

IB4138
12th May 2004, 23:53
Slight aside on the subject of war movies.

Happenned to visit the RBS club in Blackpuddle last year.
They have a TV and video room that shows back to back war films for the members! :\

tony draper
12th May 2004, 23:56
One remember a small Brit movie from years ago called the Small Back Room, twas about a boffin working for bomb disposal, very good it was.

Binoculars
13th May 2004, 01:53
I'm rather partial to The Best Years of our Lives. Waterloo Station too. An old romantic is Binos. :8

Milt
13th May 2004, 08:22
From my gun camera!!!

criticalmass
13th May 2004, 09:34
Battle scenes from either "Carry On Up The Khyber" or Monty Python's "The Meaning Of Life" are hard to beat.

tony draper
13th May 2004, 09:50
That post should be on the favourite War Movies thread Mr Criticalmass, we is all pacifists here.
;)

fokker
13th May 2004, 10:09
OK, you can stop arguing now. The definitive answer has to be; Powell and Pressburger's 'Archers' production, starring David Niven, Roger Livesey, Marius Goring and a cast of the great and good, "A Matter of Life and Death". IMHO, one of the best films ever.

CarltonBrowne the FO
13th May 2004, 12:23
I thought about posting this as a war film, but war-time film is probably more appropriate....
The English Patient.
A stunning movie.

Gainesy
13th May 2004, 12:36
Mrs Miniver, London housewife in the Blitz. Six Oscars.

Alos BBC production, Bomber Harris starring John Thaw. Really excellent.

Lukeafb1
13th May 2004, 13:35
Mrs Miniver??

Blimey, Gainsey, you must be even older than me and I'm "three score years and somethin'". My parents even raved about Mrs Miniver.;)

Gainesy
13th May 2004, 14:30
Nah Luke,
Mate lent me a video of it recently. He's a film buff, I'd never heard of it till then.:)

tony draper
13th May 2004, 15:30
Drapes can remember cowboy movies when Gabby Hayes used to get the girl.

:rolleyes:

Lukeafb1
13th May 2004, 21:46
Ah yes, Drapes. "Riders of the Purple Sage". My great, great uncle told me about Gabby Hayes.;)

EI-TURKEY
16th May 2004, 20:28
I think 'The Way To The Stars' is probally one of the best wartime movies around.

ratsarrse
16th May 2004, 23:56
The End Of The Affair deserves an honourable mention. Not as good as the book, but still pretty good.

Has someone mentioned Casablanca yet?