PDA

View Full Version : iPods in the air...

wrafter
12th May 2004, 19:11
... folks, does anyone know if there are any restrictions around the use of iPods whilst a passenger and in-flight, either at takeoff/land or in mid-flight? iPod has no moving parts, no laser equipment.

And am I likely to get hassle from cabin crew about the earphones... cos there's so few cassette players out there now, they're bound to assume I've got a lovely laser operated CD player up my jersey.

mini
12th May 2004, 21:13
Hope not,

I've got one and its the best thing since tarred bread.

:ok:

fatboy slim
12th May 2004, 21:30
It is indeed the very best bit of kit - BUT WHY NO USB CONNECTION IN THE BOX!! Nearly tore my hair out when I had to order and wait for the connection cable. Anyway happy days now.

tony draper
12th May 2004, 22:27
err, wassa IPod? :confused:

ad astra
12th May 2004, 22:33
I thought the ipod used a hard drive for storage; ie it does have moving parts.

goates
12th May 2004, 23:20
Mr Draper - Imagine a phonograph compressed down to the size of a deck of cards that can hold a few thousand songs. ;)

For a little more information, here's a link (http://www.apple.com/ipod/).

fatboy slim - As for the no USB cable in the box, the iPods were originally designed for Macs, which all have Firewire connections. These are far faster than USB, even USB 2. Yes, I know the theoretical limit of USB 2 is higher than the original Firewire limit (480MB vs. 400MB), but in practice it will never reach that speed. It would be good idea though to include it now as they are selling more and more to PC users.

goates

tony draper
12th May 2004, 23:27
Thank you Mr G, these tech pages always ring with enthusiasm for the product but they seldom seem to mention something a vulgar as money, how much do they cost?might be just what I am looking for.
;)

Onan the Clumsy
13th May 2004, 02:00
about three hundred bucks ish over here. Maybe a little more, depending on the size. Check out ebay, the world's unofficial encyclopedia.

They're grrrrrrrrreat for long cross country flights too, though you need a Lightspeed ANR headset to run it through. :ok:

wrafter
13th May 2004, 10:15
And so, gentlepeople, back to the original question - I presume they are aircraft friendly?

I'm running a 3G iPod with 40GB via firewire to a Windows XP Home and it's all running rather well, I have to say. Though I only have the whole kit in operation oh... about... five days now :-) Bought the thing in Amsterdam, so all documentation is in Dutch and Italian, which is **** all good to me. But it's still a doddle to use.

Mishandled
13th May 2004, 10:27
As ad astra says above, the Ipod is effectively a tiny hard drive (made by Toshiba if I remember correctly), and therefore it does have moving parts. I believe that it is/should be treated as an electronic device and therefore should be off during take off and landing for most flights (I say this because it is the rule not because I have any basis in scientific fact btw). However I rememeber flying a few times long haul to the middle east where they wouldnt allow any music players at all including CD walkmans, for the duration! I love my Ipod, its a lovely gadget.

PilotsPal
13th May 2004, 10:45
Gorgeous objects of desire they are - specially the pale blue one (want! want!).

A word of warning - do not use the distinctive white earphones on London public transport. Two people from my firm have now been robbed of theirs, oddly enough to the exclusion of nicking their wallet/bag and mobile phones. One had his nicked as he left his local station to walk home and the other simply had it snatched at a busy central London station. The second one has just had her insurance claim rejected on the basis she wasn't taking good enough care of it by using it in a high risk environment.

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th May 2004, 10:54
If one looks in Loot or similar publications there are a good many 'second hand' iPods for sale - no box, no manual. These have been robbed from people as the demand is such they are changing hands to RRP in pub car parks.

They are totally safe for use on board aircraft.

The real big daddy is the WiFi equipped laptop on board which have serious broadcast ability on some very close frequencies. And nobody much is checking the WiFi is Off before use..

The iPod is nice but do not overlook its rivals. The likes of Creative and many others now make products just as capable, not so trendy but cheaper. Also, my new mobile has the ability to store 128Mb of MP3. In a year or so carrying a mobile + a seperate music device may be terribly unfashionable.

Cheers

Grainger
13th May 2004, 11:35
Imagine a phonograph compressed down to the size of a deck of cards that can hold a few thousand songs.
Songs ? ? ? :confused:

Since time immemorial, they've been tracks. All through the days of vinyl records, cassette tapes, CDs, MiniDisks, they have always been tracks.

All of a sudden they are songs :confused: Who is it decides these things ? Have we been doing it wrong all these years ? What if you want to put an instrumental track on your MP3: is it still a song ?

It's Marathon bars all over again. Now I'm off to take my Alsatian for a walk . . .

wrafter
13th May 2004, 11:55
Interesting observation there Wee Weasley Welshman re unfashionability of music devices in a year or so. I've fallen into that somewhat already with a great hulking Nokia, which can only hold about 16 tracks... once upon a time those 16 tracks, and the radio capabilities it had seemed way cool.

Now I'm carrying this great hulking Nokia, the iPod and a cool Casio Exilim camera everywhere I go. I usually have to opt for two of the three items as I don't want to carry too much... so the Exilim gets dropped.

And the whole purpose I bought it was to ensure I carried it with me everywhere.

On the topic though - you state explicitly that: "They are totally safe for use on board aircraft" - that's heartening - but is there any reference I can point to to back up my claim if I'm trying to inform a member of cabin crew who thinks differently. I will of course accept their judgement, but if there's something authoritative I can point to then perhaps they will allow me to continue listening?

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th May 2004, 13:17
No - you have to go with whatever the cabin crew member tells you they want. Simple as.

If someone can explain to me how a 9v powered minature hardrive can in any way cause a problem with aircraft controls then I will be fascinated to learn.

Cheers

Ian Corrigible
13th May 2004, 13:59
The better iPod rivals include the iRiver HP-120 and the Archos portable digital video/MP3 recorder.

Grainger - in the US, the new Snickers 'energy bar' is called...Marathon !

I/C

Taildragger55
13th May 2004, 14:04
Sorry to hijack thread, but, some piece of human excrement stole my daughter's iPod.

Is there any web resource where we could list the serial number as stolen or otherwise track down the lowlife?

Mishandled
13th May 2004, 14:07
I think thats the point though. Its much easier for the airlines to enforce a blanket ban on all electronic equipment, than to allow some and not others. I mean in the sense that the cabin crew dont need to know or understand the difference between differing types of equipment in order to ensure the safety of the aircraft. I'm sure there are still bits of kit out there that can cause problems, so its better to be safe than sorry rather than have all sorts of arguments between pax and cc. Just my opinion, although I'd cry if I wasnt allowed to listen to my Ipod at all on an aircraft. :{ And I still think its the best Jukebox out there. It just looks better and is so easy to use.

DishMan
13th May 2004, 14:15
Sorry chaps + chapesses.

What's all the fuss about?

iPod seems to me to be an extension of the "I want it NOW!" mentality.:rolleyes:

Whatever happened to passing time with a book? :hmm:

Mishandled
13th May 2004, 14:19
I travel to work on the train, and Listen to my Ipod whilst reading a book (on my palm T3:ok: ) Whats wrong with that?

Isnt reading a book just as instantaneous as listening to music, I don't understand your point really, are you a luddite? Dishman ;)

DishMan
13th May 2004, 14:32
Mishandled
In what I do for a living I could hardly be called a luddite! ;)

My comments were more tongue in cheek than anything else.

I was poking fun at the "I want it NOW" crowd.....must have latest gadgets etc can't wait to change a CD or casette....or 'til I get home etc. Nobody has such a commute or journey that they have time to listen to even a small fraction of 40GB worth of music!

goates
13th May 2004, 15:45
It's not that you will have a commute long enough to listen to 40GB of music, it's the ability to have your entire music collection with you so you may listen to whatever you feel like when ever you feel like it. Try carryign around that many CDs in your pocket. Yes, I know we could all survive without them just fine, but since they do exist and work great, why not have one?

I know I want one because having a little music playing helps me concentrate on what I am doing at work and on the 30 minutes walk home I would rather listen to music than the hundreds of cars driving by. It may be cool and trendy to have one, but unlike the electronic pets around a few years ago, these are actually useful. We could all go back to just whistling a tune instead... ;)

I would assume that as the iPod is an electronic device, it would fall under the same rules as any other electronic device on an airliner.

Grainger, go check out the Ipod website I posted. It specifically says 10,000 songs on it. I just used the term that have seen associated with the iPod the most. I have seen it used elsewhere too.

goates

wrafter
13th May 2004, 15:57
Folks,

Hope it doesn't go again netiquette (it's not exactly crossposting as it's a different forum)... but I was interested in what take the folks over at ippodlounge would have on this.

See here: voila! (http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=191694#post191694)

a is dum
13th May 2004, 16:27
""Whatever happened to passing time with a book?""

A BOOK ?
Are you crazy DM? Sun getting to you?
You mean one of these paper things with lots of leafs which you have to turn?
And than all these printed letters? No skipping? No random tracks? And some even have still PICTURES I've been told.

Hè man, wake up! Where do you think you are?

A Book! Ha!

DishMan
13th May 2004, 16:44
Mr a is dum

You know the sun isn't getting to me - I am in The Hague :rolleyes:

Yes - I advocate a BOOK for passing time.

One read the entire Harry Potter Book 1 and 2 on a AMS-SIN-PER trip...twas great.
Had to fight with (not literally ;) ) Miss DM No1 for No3 for the next trip down.....

Sorry - but books is best :)

Grainger
13th May 2004, 17:57
Hey goates - I wasn't blaming you, just wondering when 'tracks' got changed into 'songs' and how come everybody just accepts it as though it's always been like that.

goates
13th May 2004, 20:10
Grainger - No worries, just pointing out where I got it from. I have seen it around in other places too so maybe it's more of a North American thing. It can be great fun living in an officially bilingual country, next to the US with a strong British background.

You are right though, "tracks" is generally accepted as the correct term.

Wonderworld
14th May 2004, 12:57
Best thing ever invented imho. I got a green iPod Mini in HNL after much chasing around in April. I also got online from a company in SYD when I got back a Monster cable car charger/FM transmitter. I just did a quick drive last week SYD to MEL and back and I've only got 732 songs/tracks on mine so far and I didnt listen to any song/track more than once. A sensational design and I've yet to see any other MP3 player come close in style and capability.
After having used iTunes and the iPod now on a PC it's convinced me to leave the dark side behind forever. I ordered a 17" Powerbook yesterday. :p Cant wait till I get it.

BahrainLad
14th May 2004, 14:41
Wonderworld, you're not the only one.

I 'switched' to a 15" Aluminium Powerbook after 15 years of PCs and will never go back. The elegance, power and simple usability of the Mac OS has to be experienced to be believed. On my parents Win XP Dell box, burning a CD is a chore. On my Powerbook, simplicity itself.

And, coupled with an iPod, there really is no finer setup for portable entertainment.

WeatherJinx
16th May 2004, 09:55
Never had any problems using mine as a passenger on commercial flights...not sure how it would go down at the Belgrano if I took to using it on my own flights tho'... :E