PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly - Teesside

mmeteesside
12th May 2004, 16:40
Have heard rumours that Thomsonfly may open up a base up here in the north east. It was, apparantly, in the deal between MME and Thomson when they announced their Summer 2005 programme.

mmeteesside
MME Movements (http://www.mmemovements.tk)

serko
12th May 2004, 17:08
it wouldn't surprise me, as that's what's happening with finningley as well.

Flightmapping
12th May 2004, 17:14
Is there really room for 2 locos there? Most baby routes don't seem to operate to very high frequencies. Or will TOM be looking at a replacement to their charter programme?

aeulad
12th May 2004, 17:28
I think it is VERY unlikely that Thomsonfly will open a base at MME. I would say if ANYTHING, it would be NCL, but I would be very surprised if even this happened.

I think Thomsonfly have their work cut out at DSA for the next 12 months.

There are still several airports with little or no based lo-co presence:

Aberdeen
Humberside
Blackpool
Norwich
Bournemouth
Jersey(european flights)

I can see markets at HUY, NWI and BOH and maybe some sort of reduced operation at ABZ and BLK. Although, the potential HUY market will be considerably less than it was before Thomsonfly at DSA was announced.

I would expect the likes of Flybe. to open further UK bases, and with no Flybe. flights from STN, NWI must be the prime candidate.

Regards

Mike

CentreFix25
12th May 2004, 21:39
Would have to agree with flightmapping and aeulad, don't think there is room or market for two locos at mme.

onion
31st May 2004, 13:03
Flightmapping, Centrefix25 there are already 2 low costs at MME, Ryanair and bmibaby.

Aeulad why is it unlikely that MME would get another low cost? There are plenty of routes that could be done out of MME. You only have to look at NCL and LBA to see this and remember MME's catchment area is bigger than NCL's.
It is unlikely that NCL will get any extra operators to base aircraft at NCL due to lack of stands in the evenings to park the aircraft. So increasing the likelyhood of any new aircraft that are to be based in the north east to be at MME.
Its just ashame about your attitude towards MME when you don't live in the area! Is this because you have been brain washed to believe that NCL is the only worthwhile airport in the north east?
Think before posting on topics that aren't obviously your strong point.

CentreFix25
31st May 2004, 14:58
Flightmapping, Centrefix25 there are already 2 low costs at MME, Ryanair and bmibaby.

onion, we were talking about based locos, Ryanair doesnt count.

Orion Man
31st May 2004, 20:37
Here here, lets sort out the Coventry fiasco first !!!!!