PDA

View Full Version : Flight returns Madrid - Bilbao to motive coating become detached

peb
12th May 2004, 12:19
Flight returns Madrid - Bilbao to motive coating become detached

Madrid, 11 may (EFECOM) .-An Airbus 320 of Iberia with 55 passengers that it realized flight between Madrid and Bilbao had to return to the airport of Barajas approximately 15 minutes after taking off of the same one after parting " part of the exterior coating with one with the engines " during the flight, confirmed the airline to Efe.
The plane, which took off from Madrid at his foreseen hour-6.45 hours - returned to Cards and landed with " absolute normality " towards the 7.00.

Before the aircraft was landing, the direction of the airport activated the local alert, the lowest of three levels of emergency of these facilities, without there was necessary the intervention of the different groups that mobilize in this type of situations - police, Guardia Civil, firemen and sanitary, between others-.

The sources made clear that the commander of the flight of Iberia 432 decided to return to Madrid instead of continuing his trip towards Bilbao because in Cards one finds the principal center of maintenance of the Spanish company, where one will proceed to the arrangement of the breakdown.

Once in land, the passengers were landed and moved, together with his suitcases, to another plane of the same company that detached at 9.05 hours course to Bilbao.

----------------------------------------------------------------

How is this possible? Any explanation?

I dont know if the right word is "coating". Sorry for the mistakes.

NigelOnDraft
12th May 2004, 12:39
Sounds a non-event. Takes-off. Someone notices a piece of engine cowling missing / displaced / flapping in the breeze. Goes back to MAD since it is where best maintenance facilities are. End of story...

All IMHO - could be miles out since the translation is not ideal...

NoD

davethelimey
12th May 2004, 14:35
Thought it rang a bell.

Look here. (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=577413&WxsIERv=QWlyYnVzIEEzMjAtMjE0&WdsYXMg=SWJlcmlh&QtODMg=TWFkcmlkIC0gQmFyYWphcyAoTUFEIC8gTEVNRCk%3D&ERDLTkt=U3BhaW4%3D&ktODMp=TWF5IDExLCAyMDA0&BP=0&WNEb25u=Sm9z6SBSYW3zbiBWYWxlcm8gLSBJQkVSSUFOIFNQT1RURVJT&xsIERvdWdsY=RUMtSFRE&MgTUQtODMgKE=UmlnaHQgZW5naW5lIGRldGFpbC4gU29tZSBtaW51dGVzIGF mdGVyIHRha2Utb2ZmIHRvIEJpbGJhbywgdGhlIGVuZ2luZSBjb3ZlcnMgZmx ldyBvdXQgYW5kIHRoZSBhaXJjcmFmdCByZXRvdXJuZWQgaGF2aW5nIGFuIGV tZXJnZW5jeSBsYW5kaW5nIGF0IE1hZHJpZC4%3D&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=NzY2&NEb25uZWxs=MjAwNC0wNS0xMg%3D%3D&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=MTU1MA%3D%3D&static=yes&size=L)

Hope it works. Looking out the window and seeing that flapping around would have been worrying for passengers to say the least.

dontdoit
12th May 2004, 14:49
Woops…in-flight opening of cowlings on both engines, plus damage to tail. One photo of each side plus tail damage here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/577414/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/577413/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/577411/L/

peb
12th May 2004, 15:06
Great pictures. Thank you.

Does anyone knows how are hold the engines cowlings into the engine?

:ok:

eal401
12th May 2004, 15:17
Well, I'd imagine it'd be some sort of latch mechanism. Very strange that both engines should suffer!

hobie
12th May 2004, 15:29
quote .....

"Very strange that both engines should suffer!"

I would suspect there's a strong clue in that statement !!!!

An "Event" for sure ...... thanks for posting it peb

eal401
12th May 2004, 15:42
Well, I didn't want to jump in and say "Gee, someone f*cked up!!"

:)

rodquiman
12th May 2004, 15:43
I allways thought it is not legal to drop things from aircraft in flight.:E :E

Flap40
12th May 2004, 15:46
It's happened before.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_avsafety/documents/page/dft_avsafety_501061.hcsp

hobie
12th May 2004, 19:16
401 ..... suspect your on the right track !!!!

cheers .... ;)

TINBASHER99
13th May 2004, 18:05
That report refers to IAE V2500 engines, this aircraft has CFM56-5's. I know that the BA and GB airways Airbuses have to have a duplicate inspection for correct cowling closure due to a number of incidents previously on the V2500 powered aircraft. The latches were modified on that engine. This looks more like an oversight by someone, though if a cowling is unlatched the latches tend to hang down so should be obvious on a walk round.

Kalium Chloride
13th May 2004, 18:57
From what I remember there's been a fair few incidents like this, mainly with the 2500s. Wasn't there talk of painting the catches bright orange to make them stand out?

World of Tweed
14th May 2004, 07:26
Issues at a certain British carry that likes the colour
red has lead to doing just that on the A346.

I'm not certain as to which particular latch it is on the cowling but one of them is painted bright orange to highlight any "de-location" prior to departure. This would be on the Trent 500

eal401
14th May 2004, 07:44
This looks more like an oversight by someone, though if a cowling is unlatched the latches tend to hang down so should be obvious on a walk round.

If I've understood things correctly, the whole point is that the latches don't hang down? At least they didn't in the previous incident, so may have modified since. Whether they hang down or not, doesn't justify not double checking if the cowling is securely closed. IMO only, of course.