PDA

View Full Version : "ADS" or something similar

RUDAS
12th May 2004, 11:32
Hi all.Heard an interesting thing last night on 126.7.SA 234 called up and asked if they could "log on to ADS" (or something resembling ADS).

What is ADS and what does it do?

Controller said she'd check with joburg oceanic,then came back within 2 min to say they could log on in 5 mins.I went off freq after that so didnt hear further.

Pontius' Pilot
12th May 2004, 14:07
From memory so please excuse duff gen!

ADS = Automatic dependant surveillance

In short it is a continuous automatic data link between ATC and the aircraft giving information like altitude, speed, position etc of aircraft.

If I'm not mistaken Johannesburg uses the Eurocat 1000 system. It may be upgraded to 2000 which is the same as Mauritius, Australia and Antananarivo (?) use for control of their FIR's. These systems are ADSB compatible.

After having spoken to the ATC in the new area control centre in Mauritius they say that if aircraft are ADSB equipped they can reduce seperation significantly below that which is required during procedural control. Of course it becomes almost useless if you are being handed over to an ATS unit that is not ADSB equipped - where normal seperation would be applicable again. A single aircraft using ADSB could likely be relieved from making some position reports.

Information can be found in the text section of the Jepp. If no one else answers you in detail by the time I return from Paris on Saturday, I'll jot down the info and post it on Saturday.

Hope my memory has not left me open to too much criticism!

edited for spelling

RUDAS
13th May 2004, 13:46
thanks! didnt know too much about that system before.:ok:

Goldfish Jack
13th May 2004, 14:57
Rudas

It all has to do with CNS:ATM. Basically it logs on via VHF, SATNAV and enables the aircraft to constantly report to the logged on ATCC. IT is either FANS (Future Air Nav Systems) 1 for Boeing or A for Airbus.

It reduces the need to speak on a radio and the flight is continiously monitored, byt the ATCC concerned.

It is also part of the CPDLC - controller pilot data link communication, during which many of the commands/inputs/ comms will be done electronically as opposed to radio.

Much better system.

The A340 300s and 600s of SAA are equipped with it, as are 1 or 2 of the B747-400s.

There was a link to more information via the FAA web site and also Air Services Australia.

RUDAS
14th May 2004, 08:38
Thanks Goldfish,

Really very interesting.Cheers!:ok: