PDA

View Full Version : To what country would you go to live?

peb
12th May 2004, 11:21
My question is if you would like to move to other country or if you are happy where you are.

Im in Spain right now. I wouldnt leave the country, Im happy here. But if I have to change country I would like to move to Japan.

Some figures:

52 per cent of the British would consider to leave their country looking for the Sun or more tranquility and for that 7 per cent hopes to do it in a near future.

The reasons most repeated by more than thousand polled citizens were the increase of the crimes in the United Kingdom, the price of the housing, the extensive working hours and, also, the shaded climate.

Favorites destinations:

1)Australia
2)Spain
3)The United States
4)New Zealand
5)Canada.

19 per cent of the polled ones commented that they would emigrate to begin a new life, whereas 24 per cent emphasizes that they do not like into what his their country has turned. The residents of Scotland are that more contentments are with their way of life, since only to 39 per cent it pleases the idea of leaving their land.

How good are this figures????

I dont know if some has put this topic before.

SpinSpinSugar
12th May 2004, 11:49
Well, myself and my partner have opted for option 5.

I have it on good authority (from the horse's mouth) that the Canadian High Commission in London recieve 3,000 immigration applications every month.

Make of that what you will.

Cheers, SSS

Ozzy
12th May 2004, 11:52
The Caribbean, either the Turks & Caicos or The Caymans...sunny and tax free

Ozzy

AIRWAY
12th May 2004, 12:28
Option number 1 is mine :}

Not too long now for it to happen... :} :ok:

answer=42
12th May 2004, 12:40
Like it here in Bennyluxland. Good combination of countryside, cultural / urban life, education for baby=42 and a handy airport for when need to get away.

If had to leave, then preference would be somewhere in Asia/Pacific.

G-ALAN
12th May 2004, 12:50
My long term plan is to move to the far east somewhere. Warm weather, good beer, good food and beautiful ladies, what more could a lad want :}

I'd also move to the US in a heartbeat if they would let me in.

angels
12th May 2004, 12:56
Oz - the North Shore in Sydney to be precise.

Dee Why here I come!!

Binoculars
12th May 2004, 13:08
Given that people sometimes have implausibly idyllic fantasies about other countries, perhaps the best guide would be what the natives of each country think.

52% of the British population was quoted in the first post by peb, as having considered emigrating. It would be interesting to see the equivalent statistics from other countries, particularly the top five quoted, to see whether the local population agrees. Also to see which have the greatest disparities..... e.g. 95% of country A's population don't want to go anywhere, but only 1% of the rest of the world's population wants to join them.

Thoughts welcomed.

(Me, I'm not going anywhere!)

redsnail
12th May 2004, 13:26
I'm thinking about moving to Dublin to be near my closest and dearest friend. :}

Binoculars
12th May 2004, 13:34
Gee I hadn't thought of that, reddo. Mind if I join you? :}

DishMan
12th May 2004, 13:51
One is trying to move the DM family (back) to France.
If only someone would buy my house :(

djk
12th May 2004, 14:20
already done it, I moved to the US from England a month ago

sandy helmet
12th May 2004, 14:44
The Caribbean is the only place to be

Was born out here - lived in the UK, States and Canada

And there's no comparison - life is sweet here!

surely not
12th May 2004, 14:53
Interesting that in a public which is regularly heard screaming about the horrors of immigration, there are 52% who think it perfectly acceptable for them to be someone else's immigrants :D

Dantruck
12th May 2004, 15:26
I'm with you peb

It's Spain for me and mine.

Been here on the south coast for nearly two years and wouldn't go back.

Dan

VP8
12th May 2004, 17:10
Would like Anguilla:ok:

Lunchtimes at Crossroads

Evening down at South Shore

Bliss

VEEPS

spork
12th May 2004, 17:33
Stats like this 52% are always interesting aren't they? It's like asking people if they'd like higher wages. I have a feeling the 7% is more realistic for wannabe emigrants, and I doubt that all of those would actually do it.

Boss Raptor
12th May 2004, 17:52
Any place where I can be no. 2 behind the President :cool:

Or failing that good climate and comes with at least honorary title of 'Sir' or similar :E

wrafter
12th May 2004, 18:18
I've been in Barcelona, Spain now for 14 months.

I'm Irish.

One thing I've noticed: I've actually got money in my bank account for the first time since... ever.

Yet, I miss real pubs and real music (which probably accounts for me actually having some cash now!)

Life is good here, yes - but Dublin calls and soon I'm gonna have to answer, I'm afraid.

Animalclub
13th May 2004, 01:55
Boss Raptor

You'd better head for Hut River Province in Western Australia which (tried to) ceceded from Australia. You can buy a title complete with regalia and passport for a modest fee. But I don't think that you can live there... Prince Leonard owns all the land.

I understand that legal wrangling is still going on.

freewheeler
13th May 2004, 08:58
animalclub, say again?! more details on the WA option please; I'm in the O.Z. looking at extended tourist visa/ study visa/ the "sheila option", 10 years stressing in London far too much pain for not enough gain! As I understand it, permanent residence otherwise requires prodigious funds and business plan or exceptional talents in demand in the country. Currently 400nm N Syd heading NNW well high Cond. happy est. eta the lucky country immediate req. more info over. :cool:

SpinSpinSugar
13th May 2004, 10:59
Ha ha, no indeed. Although the Gulf Stream is a large component of a global system, so I don't think I'll be safe even in Western Canada.

Cheers, SSS

lofty50
13th May 2004, 11:33
Left UK 4 years ago, 1 year in Dubai, (just a big village, clique tho'), 3 years in Taiwan, and now in Philippines. I love the far east having spent many happy times in this region when in the Merchant Navy years ago. Food for thought ladies and gentlemen, no tax in Dubai, Taiwan cost of living less than half UK, Philippines about 1/10th UK - Litre Gilbeys Gin less than 1-50 quid, good local brandy 60p a bottle, cigarettes 10/15p a packet, kilo of prawns 1 pound, kilo of green lipped mussels 1-30, rent a decent 2 bed house for 55 quid a month.....etc...etc. Good climate, nice people.

Up to when I left UK finally I had been very smitten by Brazil and Portugal. I Know my Filipina wife would like to be elsewhere as she has worked overseas and it is true that ambitious hard-working people see "the other side" ( clean streets, social security and so on and so on, the grass is always greener).

But this will do for me until my wife decides she wants more.

I can understand the Canada option, I think most potential emigrees would opt for Canada, I did once, but Oz is a very serious option, it is a wonderful country, ( apart from their PM, and the TAX?

Finally I will say, there are many great opportunities around the world, and while there are some culture shocks to undergo, the quality of life is not much different, but the cost of life is dramatically different.

Pick a country visit on an extended visaand try it.

Regards, Lofty

Xeque
13th May 2004, 14:54
I couldn't afford to maintain my current lifestyle if I were living in the UK. So here I am in Thailand and loving it.

3 bed bungalow (bought and paid for), car (bought and paid for), private school for my daughter and a 300 meter grass airstrip just behind the house.

What more could anyone want.

Grandpa
13th May 2004, 20:31
....the cities and villages here, landscapes, mountains, coasts, food, fruits, wines/beer/cider, light, climate, vegetation.....................and even people who care for it

Boy_From_Brazil
13th May 2004, 20:45
I have been in Rio de Janeiro for almost 4 years. It is the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Cost of living 1/2 of UK, warm friendly people and a great climate.

The drawbacks, include the increasing crime rate, the language, very expensive imports, police roadblocks, and too many small breasted women. The growing disparity between rich and poor is also an area of concern, which is, of course, linked to the crime rate.

I have seriously considered staying here, but I do miss the culture of Europe. Our long term plans are to live in Andalucia, Spain.

A good compromise, subject to financial means, would be buying homes in Brazil and Spain and alternate summers between the hemispheres.

BFB

BlueWolf
14th May 2004, 08:24
Animalclub, I think I remember something about that. Apparently there was a clause (now closed!) in the legal niceties which created Australia, which allowed for independent colonies to be established, provided that certain conditions were met. The landowner you mention apparently met all such requirements (owning a minimum of one million acres, setting up a church, etc etc etc), and duly lodged his claim.

There was a doco on TV about it here quite some years back now. I recall that the Australian Government managed to ban the "new country" from having it's passports and postage stamps printed in Australia, so they were done here.

No idea what the legal status of the principality is now. Doubtless someone will enlighten us!

Personally I'm not moving to anywhere else, but if I were to contemplate such, it would be western Canada.

Slasher
14th May 2004, 15:30
Martinique, Caribbean.

No taxes, no bloodey 737s, no bullsh!t.......just 15% compound, sex, drugs, rock n roll, and bum around beaches drinkin p!ss gettin suntanned all day. :ok:

Only 2 short years to go!

Capt.KAOS
14th May 2004, 15:36
Atlantis or Utopia

airship
14th May 2004, 17:26
How much is anyone willing to pay me?! ;)

hostie
15th May 2004, 01:16
I would dearly love to move to Vancouver Island

I can just about score enough points - I just need some savings!

Any volunteers to start a fund for me?

Canada seems to have the best of all worlds and the West coast doesn't suffer the extreme weather of the prairies!

;)

AntiCrash
15th May 2004, 02:55
I think the Faroe Islands would be worth looking into. Anyplace they still beat baby whales to death with clubs has got to be a real mans place. You can keep those namby pamby tropical spots.:suspect:

gatfield
15th May 2004, 06:31
Capt Kaos - are you sure about Utopia? In case you didn't know its in the desert in Oz , I think you should check it out before committing. Atlantis seems like a better choice to me.

Capt.KAOS
15th May 2004, 08:47
gatfield, thanks for the warnings, guess the grass on the other side is always greener...;)

Boss Raptor
15th May 2004, 09:07
Thinking about it;

A submarine like Captain Nemo

or

Tracy Island

Animalclub
15th May 2004, 13:49
Freewheeler

From memory Hutt River Province is between Perth and Geraldton... and the road gets a little bumpy when you leave the bitument.

As I said I don't think the passport is valid in any country, but Australian and foriegn mail is delivered there!!

The whole property is one farm and sort of came into being when the Australian Government set Prince Leonard's wheat quota (the amount that he could grow) so low that the return would not keep the farm viable so he ceceded. Then they increased his quota!!!

tony draper
15th May 2004, 13:58
Theres no place like Utopia.
:rolleyes: