PDA

View Full Version : Cabbies - Grrrrrr

Parapunter
12th May 2004, 07:59
I want a taxi. That way, I won't have to indicate my intended direction of travel, as clearly very few of these cars are fitted with indicators. Also, I quite like the idea of fuel restrictors what could save me a lot of money, so that I can trundle around everywhere at 25 miles an hour between Monday & Thursday but belt around at sixty through the town centre on Friday;s & Saturdays.

I also like the exemption from parking restrictions, so that I can stop my car wherever I like, blocking lanes, ignoring yellow lines, on & oppposite junctions, at traffic lights and anywhere else I bl**dy well feel like.

Bl**dy f***socks cabbies. :mad: :mad:

MadsDad
12th May 2004, 08:03
There are quite a lot of people out there who I wish would (or could) have spent a little more cash when they bought their vehicles and got the de luxe version. The one fitted with indicators.

eal401
12th May 2004, 08:09
LOL Parapunter, I quite agree.

Though, to be fair some taxis do have indicators. Unfortunely, these are usually used as those on motorbikes, i.e. to attempt to justify manoeuvres (why can I never spell that word) that break the Highway Code/really p. other road users off!

Jerricho
12th May 2004, 11:41
Used to be one of my favorite rants. Bloody English cabbies. Especially the ones I had the unfortunate pleasure of experiencing at Heathrow on several occasions. Great way to welcome both visitors and those returning home to the place.

I think I pissed more than one off by telling on getting out them their tip was as non-existant as their courtesy.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th May 2004, 11:53
Following on from Jerricho's thread, though not about cabs, there was lovely piece on Radio 4 last week. A guy had 'enjoyed' terrible service in a restaurant, so did not add a tip to the bill. The waiter collected the bill and payment, stpped, and returend to the table:

"Sir, service was not included".

To which he replied:

"Yes, we noticed" :p

SSD

Drap-air
12th May 2004, 11:53
We should all copy Stephen Fry, who bought a black cab so he could drive in bus lanes :)

eal401
12th May 2004, 12:31
SSD, nice one, I'll have to remember that one!! :ok:

Jerricho
13th May 2004, 01:17
more than one off by telling on getting out them their tip was

Geezus. Me now speaking good english right?

Nice one SSD. I'll store that one for later reference.

Animalclub
13th May 2004, 01:39
In my early days (many, many years ago whilst working for an airline) I was a part time cabbie in Melbourne. If anyone had to put up with the :mad: stuff that cabbies have to you would have the same demeanour (sp?) as the cabbies you mention.

Sure you get the nearly non-english speakers as no one else wants to be a cabbie.

One mother had the nouse to telephone for an ambulance and a cab at the same time... I got there first to take the child to hospital.

Try to get the $60 cleaning fee (a legal charge) off a drunk or ill person who has puked in your cab.

Follow the last minute directions of the back seat driver (who may be drunk) and you end up driving all over the place - without time to show any indication whatsoever. And miss the turning or don't stop where your passenger wants to get out :mad: breaks loose. Then they have to fumble to find the fare while the cabbie cops abuse from other motorists (I can understand why).

Why is a cabbie not treated as a human being?

In Australia - What's a tip?

Surely someone has a good cabbie story.

Raving finished - I hope.

eal401
13th May 2004, 08:00
Animalclub,

Oh go on then!

I was recently on a business trip in Doha, Qatar and one evening myself and a colleague got a local taxi from where we were staying, the Marriott to the Sheraton. For those that know, this is one side of the bay to the other. Until that moment, I thought the average Doha driver cut things fine, I knew nothing until then!! Let's just say we were pretty breathless by the end! Anyway, the cabbie was a pretty quiet chap, Indian or Pakistani, like many of the taxi drivers there. About two thirds of the way there he pipes up with "Nice weather we having!" I thought "Bloody hell, he's a Brit in disguise!!" As we approached the Sheraton, I directed him towards the leisure club, where the restaurant we were going to is located. He then asked "You exercising?" "No" I said, "Eating!" He said "Oh." <pause> "Eating is good." He dropped us off and said "Have a good dinner!" and then as he drove away past us, he honked his horn and waved out of the window!!!! I said to my colleague, "I think my dad's just dropped us off!!"

OK, not much of a story really, but he was a nice chap and got us there in no time at all!

Onan the Clumsy
13th May 2004, 14:02
I got one in New York City once. I jumped in at 10th Avenue, 17th Street and said "Take me to 5th Avenue 28th street please." He looked at me and asked "How do I get there?"

I was nonplussed for a while, but then I responded "Can you count?"

Sharjah Night Shift
13th May 2004, 18:18
I once had the misfortune of traveling from Sharjah to Dubai with an arab taxi driver wearing the traditional headgear. Unfortunately he had the window open leading to him steering an uneven course every time his head dress blew in front of his eyes.

pilotwolf
13th May 2004, 21:38
...usually it's the minority that gives a profession a bad name but think it the other way around with taxi drivers!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Straight Up Again
13th May 2004, 22:12
My partner sent me this, from one of her accountancy news thingies:

"This is an actual extract from my CCH Tax News Bulletin this a.m. I always suspected this about taxi drivers!

The AAT (sitting as the Small Taxation Claims Tribunal) has held that a taxi driver who made a willful understatement of GST payable was liable to the 75% tax shortfall penalty assessed by the Commissioner.

The taxpayer drove taxis for other operators to supplement his disability pension income for eyesight problems. Following a field review by the Commissioner, the taxpayer produced a cash book which proved to be a work of fiction. Ultimately, the Commissioner concluded that there had been a serious understatement in the taxpayer's quarterly Business Activity Statements and imposed a penalty for the GST shortfall on the basis that the taxpayer had made a willful understatement.
The taxpayer objected, seeking to lay the blame at the feet of his accountant who, in turn, refused to act for him any further. The AAT had no difficulty in finding that the tax shortfall was the result of the intentional disregard of the taxpayer or his agent and, accordingly, the penalty had been correctly imposed."