PDA

View Full Version : Favourite cough sweet?

tony draper
12th May 2004, 08:58
Being a forty a day man one favours the Hall's Mentholiptus.
Tunes are a bit sissy IMHO.

:rolleyes:

Parapunter
12th May 2004, 09:01
One likes to suck upon a fishermans friend on occasion. Have a look here (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/)

DishMan
12th May 2004, 09:02
Indeed Mr D.
One cannot beat a Halls Mentho - especially on a cold winter's day.

If one does not have a tickly cough and just for warming the mouth one is partial to a Mint flavoured Fisherman's Friend.

Love than feeling when you take a deep breath and the inside of the mouth/nose etc chill down. :)

angels
12th May 2004, 09:03
Do Victory Vs count as a cough sweet? I used to love 'em!

IB4138
12th May 2004, 09:08
Podmore's Cough Drops, as made by my uncle in Ashton-u-Lyne, some 45 years ago!

This modern , mass produced stuff just doesn't cut it!

TamedBill
12th May 2004, 10:25
Cough candy is one of the best sweet inventions - these twisty orange boiled sweets are the missing link between normal sweets and medicinal sweets.

lasernigel
12th May 2004, 11:17
angels Yes they certainly do,as long as they are the non medicated ones(they taste horrible)I have a pkt in my car everyday.
Must admit can't beat Fisherman's Friends..original

Dop
12th May 2004, 11:41
Halls extra strong mentholyptus were much better when you could get them loose. A quarter pound of those really cleared your pipes. Not seen anywhere selling them loose for years though since that sweetshop & tobacconist in Barnsley which always had a window full of broken block chocolate and cough spice.

jockeymon
12th May 2004, 11:47
Herbal Tablets, useless for clearing the tubes but well tasty

Jerricho
12th May 2004, 12:34
Another vote for them Fisherman's Friends thingies. I just love aniseed.

Boromir
12th May 2004, 12:35
Para,
What you get up to in your spare time is not our concern...

But whats your favourite cough sweet?

Drap-air
12th May 2004, 12:38
Tunes get my vote! so addictive

Bre901
12th May 2004, 13:47
Fisherman's Friends (the original one) gets my vote without any doubt.

If I have a slightly sore throat, the Swiss Ricola (http://www.ricola.com/index.cfm?uuid=5424349C2B351571ECE3EDAC36B408C0&o_lang_id=2) herbal sweets are nice stuff too.

Loki
12th May 2004, 19:11
Tamed Bill

I remember those orange twisty ones! Right up there with Rinsteads Catarrh Pastilles IMHO.

Remember those? The tins were useful for keeping one`s treasured items in. Foreign coins (South african half crown) stamps from Argentina and bits of string.

To my certain knowledge, I have never sucked a fisherman`s friend....though my enemies might insinuate otherwise.

Jinkster
12th May 2004, 19:53
Did you buy any chance read the ingrediants of those catarahh pastilles?

Keroscene/ Paraffin rings a bell :suspect: have a look on the packet if you dont believe me :)

EDDNHopper
12th May 2004, 20:06
Tabasco sauce (1 tea spoon).

Or Bandito´s 9/10 extra hot.

Not sweet, but sure help to cure a soar throat.

(Or should I have posted that in the sauce thread?)

ShyTorque
12th May 2004, 23:20
Imps, those little liquorice flavoured things.

Used to come in a tiny little tin, if you will pardon the expression :O

Anyone remember the TV advert that was banned?

"Go suck a Zube!" :oh:

TamedBill
12th May 2004, 23:39
Loki,
I don't remember those sweets but do recall the joy of getting an empty tobacco tin from a grandad or even better one of those round 'car sweets' tins that elderly relatives always seemed to have in the car - excellent treasure stores, my treasure consisted of a robinsons jam golly badge, my jacks and stuff like sequins and the odd pretty button if I remember rightly :)

eastern wiseguy
13th May 2004, 00:57
Years ago my old gran used to feed me Hacks!.I always loved the old tin they came from ...with an elderly gentleman on it sneezing I believe.....do they still make them?...oh and Victory V's with the great taste of ether!!!