PDA

View Full Version : Recent Collapsed Airlines

access interactive
12th May 2004, 04:16
Hi, I'm not sure if I am in the right place. I need to find documented articles on when and why various airlines collapsed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to find articles on the following airlines: AB Shannon, Aeris, Debonaire and Air UK. Can anyone help? Much appreciated!!!

dada
12th May 2004, 05:43
RAN OUT OF MONEY?

WHBM
12th May 2004, 07:08
I don't think Air UK collapsed. They just steadily moved their route focus to Amsterdam, then KLM took a financial stake in them, then the operation was gradually absorbed into KLM's other operations and renamed.

Airlines are no different to other commercial organisations in other business areas, they come and go, merge and divest, make good and bad decisions, etc. And yes, running out of money happens everywhere.

Oh, and if you're trying a web search Debonair had no 'e' on the end.

Global Pilot
12th May 2004, 12:13
You should have no problem finding stuff on JetGreen Airways. They ceased trading today at 1200.

www.flyjetgreen.com

colegate
12th May 2004, 14:38
If you want to find out why Debonair failed I suggest that you research the background of Franco Mancassola who was Chairman /CEX of the company. Look paticularly for the time that he ran World Airways with Ed Daly. That company at that time ran into the aviation equivalent of buffers. Debonair also had the wrong aircraft and the wrong route network.

AB operated the 1-11 which was not a low cost aircraft. Hourly engine overhaul costs alone on that aircraft exceeded the entire hourly overhaul costs on a 747-200.

The lesson is simple. If you want to compete in the low cost market, get an aircraft that can perform.