PDA

View Full Version : Faa Ir

jau
11th May 2004, 20:02
Hi all,
Well I'm sure this has been bought up before and I've done a search on the above title but it bought up hundereds of posts! If someone could answer my questions or point me in the right direction, I would be most gratefull!

Well, I will be getting my PPL soon with, like many, the ultimate goal of reaching an fATPL. I was wondering about the merits of obtaining an FAA IR somwhere along the stage. From what I can gather:

Cost the same as a CAA IMC
40 Hours
Allows a CAA IMC for £64
Allows conversion to a JAA IR with 15 hours.

In other words for the same cost as a CAA IMC you get this AND 25 more hours, AND 'discount' on future training!

This seems too good to be true!!! Are there any catches, pitfalls or things to be aware of???

Whilst we are on the topic, what would happen with regards to a sponsorship by BA or CTC? Would I be too experienced in their eyes because I have an FAA IR and thus spoil my chances of getting a sponsor?

I know that you should never pass a flying opportunity for chance of getting a sponsor, but I havn't even applied yet! Should I at least have a go at a sponsor and wait for the FAA IR or will it not matter anyway?

Well, thanks guys,
jau

AndyDRHuddleston
11th May 2004, 20:07
Jau,

You took the words right out of my mouth, I was just logging on to ask the same question. It does sound too good to be true!

Any info/advice would be much appreciated this end too!!

Cheers

Andy

Penworth
12th May 2004, 08:34
The main problem is that because the FAA IR puts emphasis on slightly different elements of instrument flying, most people find that they need a whole lot more than 15 hours to complete the JAA IR. I have heard of a couple of people who have needed the full 50 hour course, which has pretty much negated any benefit from doing it (other than having more instrument hours than would be the norm).

As for whether an FAA IR would affect sponsorships, well that really depends on which one you're talking about. CTC get a bit sniffy once you go beyond a PPL. I was considered a near miss on getting into CTC and was called back for a follow up interview, but when they discovered I had started the ATPL exams, they changed their mind on me, because they felt I had gone beyond the point they from which they could train me "ab-inito". Britannia were looking for "flight experience" so I reckon anything more than a PPL would rule you out of that one too. To be honest I'd just have a bash at the sponsorships while you can and not worry too much about things like IR's until later in your training.

Hope this helps

PW

MEI
12th May 2004, 19:34
Also don't be fooled at the cost. 40 hours sim or actual are just the mins. You can easliy go over that. I have had loads of instrument students in the US and found that whatever they put into there PPL is what it took in the instrument, just seemed to work out that way. That's the part they don't like to tell you. As far as the the conversion, I'll assume your flying experience wouldn't be a bunch, flying a twin IFR can get busy so even with good skills it still takes awhile to get up to speed in the UK. I converted my FAA IR and thought the JAR IR was a wholelot easier but I also had the experience to bakc it up. Just food for thought on the hours issue!!