PDA

View Full Version : liverpool airport customs / police

worldwidelad
11th May 2004, 15:48
I flew into Liverpool Airport last night for the first time, and have to say I wasn't impressed. The Customs / Police ( I am unsure as to whom I spoke with ) called myself and a friend aside to check our passports. I had no problem with this, but am curious as to what the guy was checking for?? Did he think I'd just wandered past security at Alicante airport and passport control in Liverpool?
Why weren't our bags checked?? Isn't that Customs Officers' job?

Being crew, obviously I see Customs officers at all different airports all the time. The officers at Liverpool were stood their looking very intimidating like club bouncers, with a horrible attitude to boot.

They should take a leaf out of their colleagues down the road at Manchester.

niknak
11th May 2004, 19:56
Are you sure that they weren't special branch or immigration officials, if so, they're probably the same force that does cover Manchester Airport as well as Liverpool.

You say you don't mind being pulled over for questioning, but then say you were not impressed, what were'nt you impressed about?
Agreed, some of them would benefit from sense of humour transplants, but these guys have a difficult job to do, and much of their work is not "intelligence led" so they make random stops, and after processing the 3000th passenger of the day, I can understand why they may be a little short on wit and repartie.

Just accept the fact that occassionally you're going to be questioned, and it's just a small part of the overall bigger picture.

worldwidelad
11th May 2004, 20:06
I wasn't impressed with the fact that they pulled me over to check my passport but not check my bags. If they are going to do their job, then do it properly. It's obvious that I had a valid passport to have cleared passport control only seconds earlier. Bizarre.

:confused:

MerchantVenturer
11th May 2004, 20:57
Why didn't you simply ask them who they were? I presume they were not in uniform.

If they were special branch officers they are police officers just like any other police officer and carry a warrant card which they must produce if asked to confirm their identity. Otherwise anyone could say they were a police officer.

symphonyangel
11th May 2004, 22:22
When checking passports they will be working on a tipoff that someone was on the flight or on a special flight. Be thankful you weren't the one they were looking for and niknak is right, it probably was the same team as other airports. Not so bizarre really.

worldwidelad
12th May 2004, 10:36
be thankful??? **** off !:mad:

barbiegirl
12th May 2004, 12:37
did you tell them you were crew my little friend?

worldwidelad
12th May 2004, 12:59
No I never mentioned it..... probably saw the luggage tag and thought he'd be extra ar**y :p

symphonyangel
12th May 2004, 20:37
I don't care for your response, maybe they were tipped off about you as you have an obviously aggressive nature