PDA

View Full Version : CX eye exams

Rockitansky
11th May 2004, 12:31
Hi everyone, I have a fly buddy that has a CX interview next mo and he is encouraging me to apply. Only problem is my color vision is borderline. I have a First class med, but I needed to take the Farnsworth Lantern test to get it. Any input on the CX eye exams would be great before I wasted both our times. Thanks Brian.
+4000TT and 2 type ratings.

BlueEagle
12th May 2004, 01:27
You may find the information you are looking for here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=863442&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Enuff Said
16th May 2004, 06:42
I think if your friend is able to hold a class one medical he shouldn't have a problem passing the medical in Hong Kong.
I also have a friend that has a slight colour deficiency.He came to Hong Kong prior to his interview to visit a CAD approved doctor to see whether he would pass a colour test.If you fail the Ishihara Plate test you will be required to pass a lantern test.I seem to recall that he had probelms finding somewhere to do the test as there are only two approved testing facilities.One is with Cathay(you cannot visit this doctor unless you are employed by them or during the interview process) the other choice is through the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.The Poly uses an Opteron 900 colourvision tester and I think CX use an Edridge-Green lantern.
He failed the ishihara during the interview,walked into the next room and passed the lantern,so I don't think it will be a problem.
Enuff said.

MacGriffyn
18th May 2004, 04:25
Rockit,

I have a class one medical and I failed the Ishihara test. I failed the Ish test several...actually, a whole bunch of years ago when I took an eye test for the military. They gave me a lantern test and I passed it with a perfect score.

When I went to take my physical last August, they gave me the Ishihara test and I still couldn't do it very well. I still retained my paperwork for my physical with the government "signiture" on it. The doc made some phone calls and found that the lantern test that I had taken was still valid.

When I asked, he told me that colour vision, unlike regular vision, does not degrade much. You either are or are not colour-blind. If you can pass a lantern test once, you will most likely always pass one...so if you take a lantern test, or any other test that uses light, keep the paperwork and it might be good enough.

MG :ok:

Long Haul
25th May 2004, 17:55
Anyone know what Hong Kong requires for uncorrected distance vision? FAA has no limit, JAA +/- 8.0 as long as corrected it is OK.

avistudent
25th May 2004, 19:39
Hi,

I have read it some where saying that HKCAD's medical standard, concerning corrected vision, is almost the same as JAR standards. Which is +/- 5.00 diopters.

avistudent