PDA

View Full Version : Been a while...

Unusual Attitude
11th May 2004, 10:42
Just looking for a bit of advice really as I've been away from the forum for quite a while.

Basically I completed my ATPL's 2 1/2 years ago and then unfortunately life threw some bad things my way and I was unable to finish my training. (brother died, jobless, split up with long term girlfriend who cleaned me out)

Things are now fortunately back on track and I'm aware I have to complete my CPL/IR practical before 3 years otherwise I loose all my exams.
I worked my ass off to pass these having got all 14 first time with an avg mark of 90% and don't want to waste the year of my life I put into it.

Basically I can get 3 weeks off in the summer to complete my CPL in the US but there's no way I could get the time off to do an IR. Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can save my IR exams without doing the practical or will I definitely loose them ? If so, how many exams will I have to resit ?

I gave up my career once already to pursue this and ended up penniless and I'd like to avoid doing that again if possible. I'm currently in a very good paying job (£80k+) but still want to fly for a living more than anything else and at 29 I'm still relatively young.

Currently I'm planning on doing the CPL this summer followed by an FI rating at weekends. I then intend on instructing part time to build up hours whilst getting a sizeable amount of cash behind me for the lean times ahead.
When I've got a decent amount of hours (have 250 currently) I then intend to quit my job, re-study the required exams, do the IR and seek employment whilst still instructing and living off my stash.

Can anyone see any obvious problems with my plan or offer any advice?

Also as its a long time ago since I did my ATPL theory its obviously a bit rusty to say the least. I intend to re-study as much as possible prior to my CPL practical however are there any particular areas I should concentrate on ? I've continued flying over the last few years so I'm happy with my practical ability.

Sorry for the length of this post but any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Flypuppy
12th May 2004, 08:25
Hey UA,

Good to see you back again.

From what I understand of the exam valididty, the only way to secure your exam passes is to do the IR first. That would then secure your exam passes for 7 years (assuming you do no more renewals in that 7 year period - every renewal extends the ATPL exam validity for a further 7 years).

I am not sure what the rules are on adding an Instructor rating to your PPL would be, but would that be a possibility? It would keep you flying, but you may not be able to earn any money from instructing.

Drop me a PM if you are bored at work for a chat.