PDA

View Full Version : tearing up roads and building bridges

noisy
11th May 2004, 10:02
United Parcels Service send us an e-mail every day to keep us up to speed on places where our shipments might suffer delays. Todays one had this paragraph in it:

Antwerp, Belgium
Major road works will be taking place in Antwerp for the next two years. With immediate effect all Express deliveries to this area will be pre 12.00.

What on earth are they doing over there? reminds me of the Staples corner flyover fiasco, where it took two years to repair said flyover after a terrorist bomb. shortly after it was finished there was an earthquake in California and the yanks had their roads back in ship shape condition after just a month or so.

:rolleyes:

a is dum
11th May 2004, 10:39
Ever BEEN in Belgium?
Ever SEEN a Belgian at work?

:rolleyes:

noisy
11th May 2004, 10:42
Oh, I get ya. bottle of decent wine for lunch...then....who wants to work. Very flat country though, makes the trip home from the pub easier.

Wholigan
11th May 2004, 10:57
Of course I don't believe this but I am just reporting what I heard!!! :E :E

"Belgians don't like to hold meetings on Wednesdays, because it ruins both weekends" - honest ---- I don't agree with this!!!!!:cool:

IB4138
11th May 2004, 11:20
When I used to deal with a couple of Belgian companies, could only get the person you wanted to speak to, in a morning and not on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays.:suspect:

DeepC
11th May 2004, 11:33
Antwerp has been a roadworks mess for the last two years. When was this dated? They are building the HSL rail line between Brussels and Amsterdam through the middle of the City. I think they are doing something on the ring road as well. I go there very infrequently and in between my last two visits (a gap of at least a year) the only thing that seemed to have changed was the odd cone having been damaged by the traffic.

DeepC

a is dum
11th May 2004, 11:40
A Hi Speed rail link from Brussels through Antwerpen to AMSTERDAM??!

You MUST be joking!!
Tell me your are joking, please. :eek: :eek:

Are they going to build the Amsterdam - Antwerpen - Brussels track once they have finished and landscaped the sites?

Flypuppy
11th May 2004, 11:48
Having bi weekly experience of the Antwerp ring road, I can confirm that the road system there is appaling. Not as bad as the M25 though...

There is a stretch of the E411, between Brussels and Luxembourg, that was dug up and resurfaced last summer causing considerable delays, but the re-sufacing was worse than than what was dug up, so now they are digging the same 22km stretch of road so they can re-re-surface it. The works are expected to last at least six months, and tailbacks are predicted to occur every day.

Stressed? Me? Noooooo
:sad:

aisdum,

the HSL is being built through the lovely southern Dutch landscape parallel to the A16 motorway which I have to drive along every week. The road directions and lane structure changes on an hourly basis. I love it. I think it is really really good. :ooh: :suspect:

noisy
11th May 2004, 13:01
DeepC

we only got notified this morning. maybe UPS are using the roadworks as a feeble excuse! Must be costing them squillions!

:E

Flypuppy
14th Jun 2004, 09:05
For anyone unfortunate enough to have to be anywhere near Belgium in the coming months, the Antwerp ringroad is going to be closed from the 17th of June until sometime later on this year....

More details on the offical Antwerp Ringroad is Knackered (http://www.werkenantwerpen.be/default.aspx) website.