PDA

View Full Version : Panic Buttons at MEL

Animalclub
11th May 2004, 07:55
Just read this on etravelblackboard

Qantas has begun installing panic buttons at Melbourne Airport in a bid to counter passenger rage.

The buttons, at check-in counters, ticket desks and gate lounges, will enable staff to alert security guards if they feel threatened.

The move follows a union survey that found 96 per cent of airport staff had witnessed customer anger.

Of those, nearly a third said they witnessed such behaviour most days.

While verbal abuse and threats were the most common forms of passenger outrage, the Australian Services Union survey found a third of airport staff had witnessed physical assaults on the job.

The new panic buttons will be centrally monitored, with responses to alarms expected within two minutes.

Unquote

Just shows how low some in our society will go.

Howard Hughes
11th May 2004, 08:03
Just need to install them adjacent to the FO's seat now!!:D

Cheers. HH.

:ok:

lame
11th May 2004, 09:12
While of course nobody would think that this rage at the Qantas staff is okay, surely Qantas would be better to fix the things that are causing the rage. :rolleyes:

If they looked after their Customers better, then these alarms might not be necessary. ;)

Cactus Jack
11th May 2004, 09:57
Lame, I've seen it first hand. Some people will just not listen to logic.

Whether or not they are right is irrelevant with aviation. We have regulations that they are required to comply with, and sometimes they dont understand or wish to comply.

Thats when it gets nasty.

Buster Hyman
11th May 2004, 10:02
Well, considering my last few trips as SLF with QF, I'd appreciate a button on the PAX side of the counter too!:ooh:

Flight Detent
12th May 2004, 02:21
Yes Buster,

The number of times I have gotten to the airport ready to have a 'pleasant' trip, usually o'seas with QF/BA, I have been turned into a bad tempered pax by the attitude of the check-in staff.

Yes, we DO need a "Rude" button on the pax side!!

Cheers (I think)

leftfrontside
12th May 2004, 08:59
Easy fixed don't travel with the "B#%^$*&d" I don't. I have stuck firmly by that policy for years now, it works for me.

I would sooner row a "barb wire canoe" than travel QF :ok:

Customer relations ------- there's no one in QF intelligent enough to spell it, let alone deliver. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

SeldomFixit
12th May 2004, 09:38
Cactus Jack - it's almost orgasmic when someone manages to describe your average QF checkin chick so succinctly. :O

Southern handler
14th May 2004, 02:40
Can't comment on MEL but I know some QF airports have had them for years, very needed especially oin QL club hen they have a few to many etc....

WIthout a doubt the majority of QF checking staff are ok, but I am a great believer in the bigger the airport the worse they get. and the bad ones are very bad.....

But QF are not alone here I have only taken two flights with DJ the first (earlier on in DJ history), of these was great on the ground and in the air, the second ( about a year ago), was absolutly shocking on ground and in the air. not all staff were bad but you dont notice the good ones, when the bad ones are to loud and #$*#house

Kaptin M
14th May 2004, 14:01
Hmmmm, let's see now.
If you were frontline staff getting shafted and squeezed by types who think the ONLY way to increase productivity (and their BONUSES) is to #%*% YOU harder, what do you think might be the best way of trying to get the source of revenue p!ssed off to the point that they take their business to the opposition.
Doesn't take a brain surgeon to work that one out!! :uhoh: