PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar crows as it readies for take-off

Buster Hyman
10th May 2004, 23:01
By Scott Rochfort
Sydney
May 11, 2004

Qantas subsidiary Jetstar yesterday boasted it had pulled off the most successful launch of a low-cost airline ever, despite the airline still being two weeks away from its first scheduled service.

At the delayed unveiling of the first repainted ex-Impulse Boeing 717 yesterday, chief executive Alan Joyce said: "We had the most successful launch of any low-cost carrier, we believe, in the history of aviation."

Asked how one could measure the success of an airline that was yet to fly, Mr Joyce said it was based on the 98,000 bookings Jetstar's website had on the day of its launch in February, which he said was a world record for any start-up low-cost airline.

"Navitaire, who are people that give us the reservation system, host a whole series of airlines.

"They gave us a plaque to celebrate that we were the most successful launch airline in their history, and they are the reservation system that hosts carriers like JetBlue, they host Ryanair, they have EasyJet as a customer, they have Virgin Blue as a customer."

But Virgin Blue's head of communications David Huttner said Mr Joyce's claims of the success of the Jetstar launch were misleading, referring to the $100 million and fleet of 717s set aside in setting up the airline.

"If you were gifted 14 aircraft that moved out of a mother fleet you would have some success.

"For a rooster that is yet to fly, he (Alan Joyce) is doing a lot of crowing," said Mr Huttner.

"If you were gifted 14 aircraft that moved out of a mother fleet you would have some success"

Or a couple of 733's from EU...or the collapse of one of the incumbents...or the sudden availability of prime terminal space...:rolleyes: ;)

Bugsmasha
11th May 2004, 00:56
Or a couple of 733's from EU...or the collapse of one of the incumbents...or the sudden availability of prime terminal space..
Buster your gripe doesn't really stack up. You say virgin were given 733's from EU (in fact they were 734's but anyway), yet J* have been given the 717's just the same. Secondly a loss of one of the incumbents helped VB. Very true, yet Impulse who you could most definately call an incumbent is ceasing to exist once J* begins. Thirdly J* aren't going to have to fight for terminal space whatsoever. They already have it from Impulse. Straight swap.
Seems like a pretty level playing field to me. Except maybe the fact that J* will be GIVEN market share by QF to MAKE it succeed.:ok:

cunninglinguist
11th May 2004, 01:02
Huttner and Joyce should both get together sometime and discuss how full of crap they are:yuk:

I am curious how many of those bookings are people that have been shunted across from mainline, involuntarily, as was well publicised in the media some time ago.

beatup
11th May 2004, 01:10
David Huttner accuses others of crowing? Now thats a joke!!

Virgin had everything fall into their lap and they are the ones telling us that their success is due to good management! That David Huttner, is crowing!!
This is the same guy that told everyone that their big maintainence stuff up was nothing but a smear campaign. Thats right, Virgin were the victims of this horrible saga!! Yeah, Yeah.

Wake up buddy.

Buster Hyman
11th May 2004, 02:33
Bugsmasha. Thanks for that. You highlighted my point better than I could.:ok: DJ had the same kind of benefits that Jet* are getting, so what's the gripe all about.

The opportunity to get "heads in papers" & "whinge in public" is something that DJ does regularly & makes me "gripe", as you put it.;)

Gone Fishing
11th May 2004, 03:43
Personally I think you are all w@nkers.

Haven't you got anything better to do than slag each other off?

Grow up people.

Maybe if you spent as much time and energy fighting NAS as you do trading insults in here DICKSPACE would be no more.

I am aware that use of the word "w@nkers" is a bit like the pot calling the kettle.

Crap deflectors on.

GF

Z Force
11th May 2004, 04:36
If Jetstar took 98,000 bookings on the day of its launch, what's that got to do with aircraft and money being set aside for them?