PDA

View Full Version : BMI Glasgow Knock

runawayedge
10th May 2004, 17:15
Does anybody have any info on how this is performing? They have cancelled twice in the last week!!!

GW76
10th May 2004, 20:16
My friend was on it the other week and it was only her and someone from Westlife. Well seeing they didnt cancel that one!!
I think it is just not widely advertised enough. Apparantly, from my friend, who is Irish, if more people knew about it, they would all go for it, having to avoid the 2-3 hr trip south of Dublin.

sparkymarky
10th May 2004, 22:30
The more traditional carriers sometimes seem to see advertising as beneath them.

Definitely one area where the Ryans and Ezys are streets ahead.

Hial Flyer
11th May 2004, 15:44
The GLA-NOC service with BMI only operates 4 days a week now.

It operates M,Th,Fr,Su.

the highwayman
11th May 2004, 21:20
BMI's problem may be the number of new(ish) options available from the West of Ireland to Scotland. Check out the following - apart from NOC - GLA with BMI there's

SNN - PIK with FR
SNN - GLA via BHX with BE
SNN - EDI via BHX with BE
GWY - EDI with RE
GWY - GLA with BA (Loganair)
CFN - PIK with RE

I know most of these are on smaller planes (RE ATRs, BE 146s) but I cannot see enough PAX to make all of these pay - hence BMIs problem. Then again FR pulled a flight at short notice from a european route from SNN (I think it was CRL) when they launched SNN - PIK so maybe someone believes theres money to be made there.

SNNEI
11th May 2004, 22:46
Hi,

It was Frankfurt Hahn that was pulled from Shannon (it now operates with just a weekly service), but that was long before PIK began.

Hahn flights switched to Kerry airport, a smaller lower cost airport located where most of the HHN pax were actually travelling to anyway! Who says FR take you miles from where you want to go ;-)

(That was a joke by the way: i know in nearly every case, they do!)

ALLMCC
21st Jun 2004, 13:16
Announced today - service to be suspended from 28 June.

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5027712.html

dundoniandean
21st Jun 2004, 13:55
I'm hardly surprised that headline doesn't read "AIRLINE IN GLASGOW-KNOCK ROUTE CLOSURE SHOCKER!" but "BMI IN SILLY DECISION TO OPERATE GLA-NOC SHOCKER!" would have been quite appropriate when they announced it though (in my opinion, of course!) :p

runawayedge
21st Jun 2004, 14:03
Were also competing with Loganair out of GWY and indirectly with RE on EDI out of GWY.

runawayedge
22nd Jun 2004, 10:28
More bad news for Knock here BACX just cut the schedule in half to MAN. Suppose it counldn't support baby as well. Knock have been having a good year to date...hope this is just a blip!

Joe Curry
22nd Jun 2004, 13:49
Knock have been having a good year to date...hope this is just a blip!

Perhaps they should build a big lake/loch at Knock complete with a man made beach - covered in of course - and bathe the bathers
with high powered sunlamps.?

Fantasy? It would finally justify Knock airport if nothing else:ok:

apaddyinuk
22nd Jun 2004, 15:46
"I think it is just not widely advertised enough. Apparantly, from my friend, who is Irish, if more people knew about it, they would all go for it, having to avoid the 2-3 hr trip south of Dublin."

Um.....Knock is actually Northwest of Dublin.....and a lot further than 2-3hrs by road!!!!! But I wont hit you for that one!!! :E

SNNEI
23rd Jun 2004, 17:16
Joecurry,

Ok, so we should have a huge swath of the country without a decent airport?

Perhaps we should close down Inverness, prestwick or maybe even EDI seeing as GLA is close? ;-)

Considering the growth the last while, I'd say knock was finally coming into it's own.

goatbusters
23rd Jun 2004, 19:52
Knock is expecting close to 500,000 passengers this year so it's not doing badly at all. With ski flights starting for the first time this winter along with flights to Cape Town the place is finally proving doubters wrong.

Joe Curry
24th Jun 2004, 07:34
Ok, so we should have a huge swath of the country without a decent airport?

My reply was light-hearted - not to be taken seriously.:O

I for one would not knock - no pun intended - anyone supporting or using their local airport.

More power to Knock's elbow!:ok:

LGWAlan
24th Jun 2004, 09:08
Goatbusters - as an aside - what ski routes are operating ex NOC? Thanks

goatbusters
24th Jun 2004, 21:50
LGW Alan - initially just Toulouse but hopefully more will be announced.

SNNEI
24th Jun 2004, 23:41
Joe,

as was mine....

"Perhaps we should close down Inverness, prestwick or maybe even EDI seeing as GLA is close? ;-)"

Joe Curry
26th Jun 2004, 18:01
"Perhaps we should close down Inverness, prestwick or maybe even EDI seeing as GLA is close? ;-)"

Here we go again...I refuse to be 'baited'... you are on your
own:yuk:

RYRbaby.com
29th Jun 2004, 02:42
Knock has made huge efforts in attracting new carriers
in the past year. However, one wonders if TALKS with
the LCC that has sustained NOC's operation for the past 18years - FR had advanced, would we be seeing
a scheduled NOC- GRO or CIA or HHN (huge market) take off.

It's expansion plans continue - with the Lite & Baby in mind.
UK Midlands/ N.W. seems to have been saturated by NOC flights
BHX/MAN/EMA & LPL.

There was no way BA Exp. was going to stick around long
whilst Baby was on it's route.

I am surprised though at the rapid retreat on the GLA route.
What next? EMA-NOC to go?

Arkroyal
29th Jun 2004, 12:18
What next? EMA-NOC to go? Wouldn't be surprised with the dreadful loads.

Rumour has it that the discounts given by Aer-Rianta (at other Eire airports) for using NOC make it worthwhile.

runawayedge
29th Jun 2004, 13:35
Where do rumours begin??? NOC is a private airport. Aer Rianta CURRENTLY operate DUB, CRK AND SNN! They have no relationship with NOC. Not denying discounts play a big part in securing thinner routes, but I think this alleged rumour is weightless!! On another point anybody else here anything on BACX pulling back on NOC - MAN!

egnxema
29th Jun 2004, 15:00
As I understand it baby make enough money from the belly freight to the NOC - EMA route, pax are a bonus.

BDWW
29th Jun 2004, 16:45
I believe that bmibaby is seriously considering a Gatwick-Knock route for the winter schedule. I for one thinks this would be a very good move for baby and for the people who live in N.W Ireland. Is there any other airline flying from Knock to the London area? Ryanair to STN?

runawayedge
29th Jun 2004, 17:39
Here I am having a go previously at the rumour machine, the rumour I heard was the overall bmi development out of NOC was get Ryanair out because we want london, if you can manage that we'll throw in a few other routes.....don't know how credible this is!!!

SNNEI
29th Jun 2004, 22:46
Joecurry,

Ah... I was kind of pointing out (note smiley face at end of sentence) that my reply was also lighthearted and not to be taken seriously.. was'nt trying to bait anyone mate!

Back to topic.. yes, the rumour about Aer Rianta subsidies is a bit of a nonsense considering Aer Rianta don't even run NOC. I cant believe there are so many of us in the aviation community that don't seem to want to see the industry grow and only "knock" (pun very much intended) a thriving business. I wonder where all this bitterness comes from? One wonders if this is purely becuase the airport is in Eire and thus in the minds of some not worthy of business for some strange reason..

Just a thought/possibility.. even if a silly one.. nah, couldnt be that, could it? ;)

runawayedge
30th Jun 2004, 08:16
Agree with SNNEI, even if it were run by Aer Rianta no matter how big the discounts are they could never make a route viable, and would be a deciding factor in an airline choosing to operate but not the the key deciding factor!!!

Arkroyal
1st Jul 2004, 23:27
I cant believe there are so many of us in the aviation community that don't seem to want to see the industry grow and only "knock" (pun very much intended) a thriving businessagreed, SSNEI

148 seat airplanes with 20 or so pax is hardly thriving, is it?

runawayedge
2nd Jul 2004, 09:24
Arkroyal.....suppose you have to fight fire with fire was your aer rianta rumour really an echo?