PDA

View Full Version : New IOM - London route.

The Little Prince
10th May 2004, 16:01
Horrendous to see even more competition in the face of pathetic marketing from BA.
A new IOM - STN service, definitely not enough business to support three London routes, BA to LGW, FlyBe to LCY and now Euromanx to STN.
At £69.00 retn, I should think just enough damage will be done to persuade the World's most Pathetic Airline to cut back even more..........:yuk: Next headlines will be the Stornoway treatment, BA securing the future of a route by giving it away to the competition.

Factually, that sort of price will attract people - seventy quid for a grotty all-day-deli sandwich is just not going to cut it!

British Airways - The Island's most hated Airline! :\

whitingiom
10th May 2004, 17:03
It's half an all day deli sandwich now.........still that's half a sandwich more than Flybe.

STN starts June 1 - what frequency?

Mark Lewis
10th May 2004, 17:23
Stornoway treatment?

LGS6753
10th May 2004, 18:52
Sorry to sound simple, but who is flying this route?

Nothing on the IOM airport or FlyBe websites. If it's BA, what about the daily IOM-LTN service?

Duh - just read the post above properly - cancel request. Sorry!

PAXboy
11th May 2004, 17:29
LGS6753: The route is to be operated by EuroManx. They picked up many of the Jetstream services that BACX dropped when they bought the landing slots at LHR. Oops, silly me I mean, when they bought Manx Airways. :rolleyes: I presume that they will use their 19D a/c but their website only annouces the route, no details as to frequency or timing. An email from my mother on the island says that the local announcement said two rotations a day. They must be aiming at the day trip to the city for biz.

TLP: A new IOM - STN service, definitely not enough business to support three London routes, BA to LGW, FlyBe to LCY and now Euromanx to STN.

Make that FOUR, as BACX do a single IOM~LTN rotation with the 146. This route was started by Manx about ten or so years ago to link folks to the charter and IT routes out of LTN and it works very well. If I book far enough in advance I can get the round trip for £65/£70. The IOM gove website says that this route is still building. Since STN is more than four times further away from me than LTN, I hope that EuroManx have enough success but not so much that BA have an excuse to drop LTN!!

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Yak97
11th May 2004, 18:55
Euromanx don't "operate" anything - as their website says their just a "ticket provider" (glorified type of travel agent) for Rossair Europe, who are the actual operator.

For a long time Euromanx stated on their website that they were "operators" of the Beech1900 & ATR42. But they couldn't "operate" the ATR as they didn't have the requiste Class A Licence. Now, as a quick check of the CAA website will show, they don't even appear to have a Class B licence or even an Air Transport Licence (for those operators in CI or IOM). It took the CAA CPG long enough to act, they were advised months ago about Euromanx's activities and sat on their hands (as usual).

And the Euromanx website is going to get even more crowded with notices about "ticket providers" if the rumour I've heard from Fragel rock is right - a Flightline 146 for the LPL route? (that's where the capacities come for the STN service - deperate to find something to do with the ATR42 aircraft?).

It was always a wonder how they got away with using the Beech 1900D (on PH- plates) on internal UK routes, when the glorious CAA (Campaign Against -UK- Aviation) wouldn't allow them on the UK register?

elgan
11th May 2004, 19:28
Must be doing well if the IOM-LPL route is upgraded to a BAe146

PAXboy
12th May 2004, 11:50
It was always a wonder how they got away with using the Beech 1900D (on PH- plates) on internal UK routes, when the glorious CAA (Campaign Against -UK- Aviation) wouldn't allow them on the UK register? Interesting, is that because they were unhappy at Ross or the 1900D itself?

Yak97
12th May 2004, 18:21
The CAA took a dislike to the original B1900C - which was effectively just a stretched 200. The 1900D with the greater headroom was looked at by Alan Mann (when they were Beech/Raytheon distributers) for being put onto the UK register but I think the fact that the UK market was small and they could, at that time, sell as many 1900D's as they could make, made it uneconomic.

The fact that there was a UK manufacturer selling a competing aircraft (J31) was probably just a coincidence? Despite that fact that the 1900D was a far superior aircraft, with large freight door as standard, and you didn't need to be double jointed to side in the window (huh) seat in row1. Not Invented Here - never came into it!

Dash-7 lover
12th May 2004, 18:36
I believe Emerald started pax services on the LPL-IOM route with one of thier new ATP's a couple of days ago as well and the route wouldn't support 2 operators. Maybe thats why Euromanx might upgrade to the 146.

As far as the Little Prince's comments are concerned........oh dear, here we go, another chance to have a go at British Airways on the IOM. CHANGE THE RECORD! ITS GETTING A LITTLE BORING NOW......YAWN!