PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Amiri VIP flight attendant

SQflugcrew
10th May 2004, 12:19
Hi guys!

I am already an FA (Leading Steward) with Singapore Airlines for about 12 years now. Just 2 months back I applied for the VIP Flight Attendant position with Qatar Amiri Airways, and I was shortlisted. And 2 weeks ago I went for the formal interview and I must say the package they are offering is quite attractive. So far the interview went well and I think my chance looks promising. However I am rather indecisive now if I should accept the offer from QR and give up my career with SQ. SQ is a good airline but on the other hand I need some changes in my life. One thing that has been bothering me as well is whether I will enjoy being based in Doha, Qatar. But the thought of being on a flight serving VIPs & royal families is quite interesting as well as compared to commercial flights.

So far I have read lots of negative things about QR posted here on this forum. But is QR Amiri VIP fleet just as equally bad? If you are talking about heavy workloads, we at SQ work VERY hard as well to maintain our service standards.

Would appreciate if anyone here who is currently a VIP flight attendant with QR Amiri could provide me some infos about working conditions and lifestyle there in Qatar.

Thank you.

moremilk
10th May 2004, 14:09
Hello I personally would recommend staying put if u have a senior post where u are,as far as i know the Amiri side of Qatar Airways is controlled by Qatar Airways itself which means u will be completly controlled by the infamous Al Baker,if you sneeze in the wrong direction you will probably be on the next flight home.Best of luck.

Ranjha83
11th May 2004, 01:55
I heard negativie comments about the airline & Doha.. I would still stay with Singapore airlines, supervisor!:E

flightlevelchange
12th May 2004, 01:12
I would suggest that you stay where you are also.

Did they mention that you have to work on QR for six months, before you go to Amiri Flight

It used to be a real good outfit until snackbar got his hands on it. Was run by a real nice guy who was there for years and got shafted big time.

They lost a lot of good people a few years back

Good luck think about it carefully.

AVIACO
12th May 2004, 04:51
The lady who manages the Amiri Cabin Service, TA, is pretty damn good and nice to work for, I heard.

But yes, I have also heard that six months is needed on mainline before transferring across to the VIP section.

SQflugcrew
12th May 2004, 11:49
Thank you guys!!! :ok:

I really appreciate all your advices and feedbacks. At least that would help me a lot in my final decision making. Definitely I would sit down and lay out the pros and cons, think carefully and come up with the right decision. It's a BIG decision!!

Yes, it is true that Amiri VIP crew will first have to work on the QR mainline for the first 3 months (not 6 months) - as I was told during the interview few weeks ago. Then we'll work on the Amiri VIP flights ... on 24 hours / 7 days a week standby. Destination - everywhere / anywhere. The VIP crew are the one who will decide on the menu on board, hence the crew will be in charge of catering. We only get 4 days off once every 3 months but an annual leave of 45 days! Other benefits are rather attractive too.
And yes the lady (british) who manages the VIP crew is very nice. She was one of the 2 ladies who interviewed me.. and the other is a Brazilian lady.

But I guess in any other airlines, there are bound to be some unhappiness - that goes for us as well at SQ. But after reading all those negative comments about QR, it really makes me think hard, and I wonder if it makes any difference if I make that move. Hmmmmmm....:confused:

Thanks once again guys!! :D

MaxMet
12th May 2004, 18:09
I have been to negative of late with regards to Airlines

If you were not in your current position with a great Airline I would say go for it but I say no stay put. Qatar Airways is in a constant state of flux that may not affect an unseasoned Crew Member but for someone like yourself I would stay well clear and that is from personal experience that I shall bore none with.

All the best.

MM

hjfx
24th May 2004, 15:44
Have u made up your mind?

I think if u r disciplined person u'll survive in Doha. It's hard but once u go to amiri it's fine.

For a person with your position though think about it twice!

Good luck