PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you won the Lotto?

BlueWolf
10th May 2004, 12:10
Everyone's thought about it, and everyone has a dream. And every week, many people all round the world do in fact win big in their National Lotteries.

So what would you do?

Hard facts tell a grim tale of Lotto winners; 12 months down the track from their good fortune, something like 85% of winners are materially worse off than before they hit the jackpot, around 10% are breaking even, and only 5% are doing better, these generally being the ones who had money beforehand.

As a rule, most ordinary folks who win big, follow a common and predictable path. They quit their job, insulting the Boss in the process, pay off the house, buy a new car, give lots of money to family, and start drinking heavily.

A year later, they have no job and little prospect of getting one, a year-old-car, a freehold house which they are just about to have to start borrowing against, a drinking problem, and their family hates them.

I haven't won first division yet...but I am planning on it (aren't we all), and I have several contingency ideas, depending on the size of the win.;)

Pick a figure in your local currency, and indulge your dreams...what would you do?

Flypuppy
10th May 2004, 12:15
Minimum requirement for a win is Ä3,000,000

Ä1,000,000 for housing
Ä1,000,000 for fast cars aeroplane/helicopter etc
Ä1,000,000 to invest for a regular income.

Then just spend my time flying for a giggle. :ok:

Maybe I would spend a little on my next door neighbour.... :mad:

tony draper
10th May 2004, 12:21
One does not drink, ones family already hates one, so **** it, one would rather be a rich pure facist bastard than a poor pure facist bastard.
:rolleyes:

I asked a bank manager this question once,( one was installing a security system in his bank) I asked him could I put all my lottery winning into a account that earned zero interest? as it was essential that I spend every last cent before popping my clogs,and would hate to leave anything for anybody especialy generations of pin striped fund managers, he did say that such a arrangement could be drawn up, he was a bit dubious about my demanding instant access to the entire lot at any time during the day or night though,in case one saw a second hand super tanker for sale that one fancied.
One plans to buy one of those Scotish Islands and have a castle built, of course it will be necessary to reinstitute the land clearences again and all those crofters flung off one's island.

BlueDiamond
10th May 2004, 12:30
If it was one of the big 10 million ones we often have here, I'd set the majority of it aside while I sought advice. I'd take 100,000 or so and "just do fun things" ... buy books, some jewellery, whatever ... enjoy myself with it.

After six months or so, perhaps less, I would have a plan of attack for the majority of the loot which would ensure that I never went short of anything ever again and neither would my family and friends.

One thing is absolutely certain ... I would never waste a chance like that because it would not make a second appearance!!

Conservative? Yes, probably, but there would be enough to have plenty of fun with too. As a non-drinker, none of it would end up as "liquid assets" and everything would be carefully planned.

tony draper
10th May 2004, 12:39
Why set the majority aside?,thats exactly what the bankers want you to do, so they can continue making a very nice living out of it after you pop your clogs.
I worked with a daft old bloke who said if he won ten million he would double it in ten years,"what the **** for"? I asked, "ten million is more money than you could possibly spend in whats left of your miserable life",squander the buggah and be buried in a paupers grave say I.

Flip Flop Flyer
10th May 2004, 13:12
Something involving a rather big boat, a tropical island somewhere that boasts an international airport, and a steady flow of call-girls, beers and mates being flown in/out of said airport.

I'd need to have at least one sober mate, to drive the boat and fetch the girls/beers/mates from the airport. The girls can cook and clean and handle the diesel for the boat. We'd all be naked all the time, except when eating.

Like Drapes, I'd plan to me a rich white fasicst and leave absotutely f.all behind for the vultures!

separator
10th May 2004, 13:16
I would employ a chap to worry on my behalf.

If, one day, the money ran out and I could not pay him, that would be his worry as well.......

sep

Boss Raptor
10th May 2004, 13:36
Leave aviation...nah can't see me doing that

Buy one of my old employers and sack a few of the incompetent idiots who still remain :E

Buy (put the deposit down) an a couple of MD80's and/or B737-300's and lease them on

Spend more time in Barbados and Spain :ok:

fritzi
10th May 2004, 14:09
I would probably wake up and realize that it was only a dream :{

Buster Hyman
10th May 2004, 14:14
I might buy a personal title....sod it! I'll buy the lot & moderate you barstards to oblivion! hwahhaha, HWAHAHA, HWAHAHA! :E

hifive11
10th May 2004, 14:32
:) :) :)

I love (1) flying and (2) diving therefore I would obviously have to start a float plane business in the Maldives flying rich people to great dive sites and then dive with them.

I will need someone to look after the plane whilst having fun with my second love.

This will need to be a business otherwise it may get a bit boring. Not being much of a business person, if it fails I would just have to go back to normal living but will have had great fun in the meantime.

Hi5

:ok: :ok:

airship
10th May 2004, 14:34
I am still counting on winning the EuroMillions - Ä30 million this Friday. OK, apart from the 1st week I said I was giving it up, I lied, I'm still playing!) :(

Whilst holding everyone here in high esteem, the numbers that my fellow PPRuNers RollingThunder, takenthe5th, BlueDiamond etc. came up for me awhile ago have still not won anything. They stand to share 10% of my winnings if their numbers produce and I am appalled at the results so far... :}

You all have a vested interest in my winning this Friday's jackpot. Having no real friends, my intention is to invite a few JB'ers down to the S. of France every weekend to share my solitude in magnificent surroundings. All expenses paid with return flights by EasyJet obviously. ;) Just bring a can of Mulligatawny soup with you! Those allergic to cats, please abstain.

con-pilot
10th May 2004, 18:01
This weekend someone on the East Coast won $213,000,000.00 USD (thatís right 213 million dollars) and it wasnít me. If they took the cash payout and after taxes that would leave them around $85,000,000.00.

EIGHTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS IN CASH. That much money in your pocket (ok, you would have to have some pretty big pockets I admit). With that much money I would not be broke in 3-5 years, I would hope to be just a little smarter that that!

But then again I am married to Mrs. C-P. Who never met a credit card she didnít like.

Smeagol
10th May 2004, 18:59
1) Retire

2) Buy a property on a golf course somewhere warm.

3) Play golf

4) Get my handicap down to single figures

Catt
10th May 2004, 19:31
I certainly wouldn't go shouting about it. I'd probably do a BlueDiamond and seek investment advice first, then...

Buy an old banger of a car (no point in splashing out on Ferrari, I'd only prang it :rolleyes: ) Would upgrade at a later date. Buy a flat and move out of parents house. Tell dad I'd won a couple of thousand so he didn't have to pay Uni fees. Search for largeish, remote house of my dreams with outbuildings. Convert outbuildings into state-of-the-art darkroom complex. Buy apartment in rural Minorca (and Spanish lessons as Spanish is now crap due to neglect). Move out of flat into house, start producing exclusive black and white hand printed works of art to sell at extortionate prices. Rent flat.

I'd expect the whole process to take about three or four years. Then I'd look at helping out the family/friends.

Oh, and for my luxury I'd buy the ex-boyfriend's beloved speedboat (he built it himself to the cost of £15 000 but had to sell because it practically bankrupted him), flood his street and drive it up and down his road :E

Lance Murdoch
10th May 2004, 20:06
I would definetly try and keep my mouth shut about my winnings for a start. One can imagine the sort of low life you may attract if you opened your mouth about it.
The first thing I would do is squirrel enough away to give me a safe income after tax of say £40000 per year index linked so I wouldnt have to work again.
Secondly I would give up work, I wouldnt try and settle any scores or upset anyone, just diligently work my notice. I cant understand these people who say that they would carry on working because they would be bored.
I would then dedicate my life to self indulgence although Id make sure my close relatives and friends were OK though.
Then roughly three months in the Alps during the winter snowboarding and skiing:O , spring in North America, probably Canada, flying, summer in the Alps climbing, not sure what Id do in the autumn. Not sure that Id want the hedonistic life, think Id get bored (though the call girls would be nice:D )
Seriously, I think the lottery can really damage the winners lifes. As I stated above I got it planned out what I would do but Ive got a good education and could probably handle the sudden influx of wealth. I can imagine that those who are less well educated would suddenly have alot of time on their hands and not know what to do with it hence the drinking. The other thing is that everyone and his brother would be asking you for money.
This gives the dilemna of what to give whom and realising that those left off the list (i.e. the ones crawling out of the woodwork) would hate you for it.

The easier you come by money, the easier it is to lose.

ssultana
10th May 2004, 20:10
I would go on holiday to Kauai for a few weeks, and invest the rest of it. I wouldn't spend loads, beacuse your friends would treat you differently if you acted like that.

ShyTorque
10th May 2004, 21:51
I would definitely retire; the day after the bank cleared the cheque. My only insult to the boss would be just not to turn up for work any more. I would love him to go to the trouble of having to sue me for cash in lieu of the notice I haven't worked. I would send the cheque by return of post, written on the back of my contract, on which I would have already written "cancelled" across each paragraph.

My first priority would be to make sure my kids were reasonably well looked after with as good a future that I can muster for them. Having said that, they must be able to stand on their own two feet, no free rides from me, too risky a strategy, IMHO.

I would share some of it around my brothers and sisters and other close relatives, but only just enough for them to be able to pay off their debts and be a little more comfortable and secure than now.

I would give all the family a holiday, probably invite a few family friends along too, especially the widow and kids of my best mate, killed in a flying accident 12 years ago. She has had to work far too hard since his tragic death to support her kids and deserves a good break (time I gave her a good friendly hug or two again anyway). Nowhere too racy, but a big villa for a few weeks, somewhere warm, such as southern Italy, with some good, healthy food and wine would do us all proud.

I wouldn't blow too much on other booze, seen what happens all too easily in that direction, but I might buy a few bottles of cheap champagne (I'm not over-keen on the taste of the expensive stuff).

A new car would be a good idea. Not anything OTT , but my present one is 12 years old now and way past it's best. Although I love cars and bikes, I don't like the idea of flashing too much wealth in that manner and risk pissing off my friends and neighbours in the process.

I would spend a good amount having the old homestead done up and improved. Be nice to watch the experts doing stuff instead of yours truly busting his back-end on his days off.

I would like to travel a bit, to see some interesting places still on my personal list. Nowhere with bright lights, more like the back waters, travelling light, to meet real people. Perhaps take a gentle motorbike ride around Ireland and linger awhile. Then fly to Sydney and ride up the east Oz coast. No rush, might even take a Harley. Go and see a couple of people in Port Douglas and chill out again, no worries there, mate. Perhaps even get a little unpaid job helping out on a cruise boat to the reef. Live simple and stay as long as they would let me.

Come back home and live as simple a life as possible, grow some tomatoes and spuds, might even get a few chickens. I would put aside just enough to ensure I could eat and sleep comfortably and would be no burden to anyone in my later life if either my legs or my brain went completely and permanently wobbly.

If there was nowt left after I was buried and the wake was over, then I'd have got it about right. Failing that, the missus could have what was left :ok:

mini
10th May 2004, 21:54
Simple,

Buy new friends...

:}

tony draper
10th May 2004, 21:58
Of course one would have to move somewhere where slavery wasn't frowned upon,one just can't get decent servants in this country now, one understands one cannot even order folks flogged now, even if one is a multi millionaire and vast estate owner.

Paracab
10th May 2004, 22:04
Would buy the following...

Medium sized detached cottage

Vehicle with V6 or above engine

Flying lessons to finish ones PPL

Aircraft to use ones PPL

Holiday in exotic place, Dubai, Seychelles etc etc for all friends and family with a view to buy a holiday home

Would not give up work completely but would go onto a zero hours contract and do the odd bit of overitme to keep current.

Would save/invest the rest (after looking after family) to ensure contract remains a zero hour arrangement

airship
10th May 2004, 22:18
Dubai, exotic????!!! You wouldn't even need to go there for the monthly raffle for the Ferrari anymore...?! Dubai???!!! :O

(My humble apologies, Secretary to Sheikh Maktoum, if I want to continue to receive your esteemed business and goodwill, I should refrain from further comments. Point taken, Gulp!!!)

con-pilot
10th May 2004, 22:36
Forgot to add in my first post the answer to the question.

Throw the biggest, best pprune bash ever and Iíll pay for the whole blasted thing. Travel, rooms, food (if anybody would want any) and of course, the booze.

Top that!

moo
10th May 2004, 22:43
A big win may just give you enough to do Oxford's APP hehe! :}

tony draper
10th May 2004, 22:44
Of course one would do the obvious thing first, order 50,000 Krugger Rands,have a large room stripped of furniture, strip off smear oneself in baby oil and leap among the coins and roll around in em cackling like a demon.

perfectly normal behaviour under the circumstances.

Rich Lee
10th May 2004, 23:09
I would buy more Lotto tickets so that I might become even more wealthy.

airship
10th May 2004, 23:14
Would said Krugerrands have acquired added value having been in intimate contact with Mr. Draper one wonders? One would nevertheless be all too eager to pick up after Mr. D. and his mineral bath... ;)

Paracab
10th May 2004, 23:26
Alright airship, All I actually want to do in Dubai is stay at that chuffin' great sail shaped hotel.

Its sort of exotic, isn't it...? :uhoh:

Well it is when you've worked for the NHS for as long as I have.....

Hope this is nothing personal, after our recent differences in opinion, airship ?

airship
10th May 2004, 23:47
Well, all the staff are undoubtedly from the Indian sub-continent, so you will probably feel at home! Hasn't Sept 11th put you off staying in tall buildings voluntarily?! I'd charter a dhow out of Dubai for real scenery... ;)

(Is that OK, Secretary, didn't step over the line...?!)

Paracab
10th May 2004, 23:49
airship,

Whats your problem ?

Its somewhere in the world that I would like to see. Your opinion on the place is completely irrelevant to me.

Whats with the reference to Indians and 9/11 ?

airship
11th May 2004, 00:06
Now what have I done, to upset paracab? What recent difference of opinion (I just did a quick search and couldn't come up with anything...)? I must be losing my mind that's what. Probably ate too much British beef at some stage. :(

reynoldsno1
11th May 2004, 00:56
Is the USA the only country to tax lottery winnings at source, as it were?

Jerricho
11th May 2004, 03:03
I would buy the MIL a personality transplant.

And fix Onan's clumsiness............forever!.
(Fix him real good!!! :E )

pigboat
11th May 2004, 03:15
Canada doesn't tax the winnings but they tax the living bejeezus out of the earnings off it. Thus, my winnings would immediately go to the Cayman Islands. I would then charter an aircraft, go to the National Capital and tell the Minister of Revenue to go do a physical impossibility.
Then I'd throw the second biggest all-expenses-paid PPRuNe bash, con-pilot already having held the biggest.:D
Probably buy myself a '57 T-bird, a '63 Chevy Impala and a '63 Austin-Healey 3000, just to get around in style.
:cool:

Jerricho
11th May 2004, 03:28
And I would be around to your's real quick to say congrats................and can I have a 1986 'Vette? Please?!

pigboat
11th May 2004, 04:03
Sure thing, but I gotta charge ya a dollar. Payable in one easy installment. I'm not made of money, you know.:uhoh: ;)

CoodaShooda
11th May 2004, 04:40
Today's news is about a fireman who won $A1 Million, threw in his superannuation and the proceeds from a house sale to take the kitty to $A1.7 million and promptly put it all in the hands of his best mate, who was an accountant.

The reason for the news story was, of course, that said 'mate' then embezzled the lot and is before the courts.:rolleyes:

Cooda would be happy with $5 million but notes that today's pool is $6 million and Thursday's is $9 million.

Just enough to buy a small historical airport and run a flying school for worthy youfs (including the coodakids).

Ahhh, owning an aviation business.......That should be enough to satisfy the Draper Dictum of leaving nothing unspent. :E

tinpis
12th May 2004, 00:17
Get a life...stop prooning.

Jinkster
12th May 2004, 00:27
If I won the lottery.

1) Buy an Aston Martin
2) Buy a Holland and Holland Royal Shotgun
3) Marry Zara Phillips
4) Buy a big estate in Scotland and have a PPRUNE bash

autosync
12th May 2004, 00:49
Paracab, you sound like you already won it!

Personally i'd buy my own island and start a Utopian society, populated entirely by sexy female eastern european strippers and me and a luxury helicopter and a few horses, no cars!

AntiCrash
12th May 2004, 02:31
1. Set up endowment fund for my House of Worship.
2. Get that Trigear Howard 250 to fly about.:D

DOME
12th May 2004, 10:41
Win say A$10mill. Straight on the plane with cheque in hand (no forex problems) to Liechtenstein. Straight into the bank. Fly home, and proceed to spend spend spend - all on credit card where monthly account is direct debit from the bank account.

No Revenue Service has any idea of who, when, or how the money is being spent - and if any interest is being paid who is to know?

ShyTorque
12th May 2004, 12:45
"Would said Krugerrands have acquired added value having been in intimate contact with Mr. Draper one wonders?"

Depends whether the "intimate contact" had been heads or tails!! :uhoh:

pulse1
12th May 2004, 13:07
The first thing I would do is start believing in miracles because I never buy a ticket.

I had a bit of a scare this week because the entire workforce of one of my key suppliers won the lottery. Fortunately it only worked out at about £5k each so, although it may have taken their minds of their work for a few days, my supplies are still safe.

Their MD has insured himself against a big win at a cost of £25 a year. If they win he gets a £million which seems to be cheaper than joining the syndicate himself.

PilotsPal
12th May 2004, 14:54
Jinks, you can't simply BUY the Holland & Holland. You can order one and it will be ready at some point in the far future....

Zara Phillips - you want the scariest mother-in-law in the country?

airship
12th May 2004, 17:47
If I won I'd definitely pay for some "charm school" lessons (not for myself, I might hastily add...") :O

DOME, in case you become resident in the EU for whatever reason, please get a new financial advisor asap!

pulse1, what is that policy and can I get one for say GE employees?! :D

ShyTorque Depends whether the "intimate contact" had been heads or tails!! Regardless, these gold coins would be hitherto regarded as collector's items! ;)

Paracab
12th May 2004, 18:31
autosync,

Believe me, I've given a lot of thought, it will save time in deciding what to do if I do ever win ! :D