PDA

View Full Version : Men wearing skirts!!

lasernigel
10th May 2004, 11:08
Men wearing skirts!!
Brad Pitt is quoted as saying after the launch of his latest movie TROY,that by next summer ALL fashion conscious men will be wearing Greek style skirts.
What do Ppruners think???

Engineer
10th May 2004, 11:15
Give me a minute to think whilst I adjust my kilt :D

Flypuppy
10th May 2004, 11:17
Discerning women prefer kilts. ;)

ssultana
10th May 2004, 11:25
I think pitt doesn't know his a*** from his elbow.

tony draper
10th May 2004, 11:32
I understand those olden day Greek chaps were quite familiar with arses.
:rolleyes:

Jerricho
10th May 2004, 11:39
And I guess they will be wearing toilet brushes on their heads (Centurion style) as well?

Only one fashion style should ever be associated with the Greeks

TOGA!!!

(Does anybody know if the University of Queensland still does their yearly Toga Party? Memories............)

Flypuppy
10th May 2004, 11:48
Toga? Was that not the Romans?

MadsDad
10th May 2004, 11:56
And surely the Centurion was a Roman rank too.........

From a pedants corner near you.

tony draper
10th May 2004, 12:00
Interestingly a Centurian was in charge of eighty men not one hundred as is often thunk.
:confused:

a is dum
10th May 2004, 12:05
Only one fashion style should ever be associated with the Greeks

TOGA!!!

Take Off/Go Around (power) is to be associated with the Greeks?

:confused: :hmm:

MadsDad
10th May 2004, 12:24
Mr. D.

Even more worrying I actually knew that. It was in something I was reading and I didn't believe it so I went and checked.

And the were right. The swine.

redsnail
10th May 2004, 12:28
Kilts :E

Jezza, if they're as good as Macquarie National Park (aka Macquarie Uni's) then I bloody hope so. :D I was an attitude adjuster there. :D

Whirlygig
10th May 2004, 12:46
Yes please - men in kilts/ greek skirts... whatever.

Men usually have very good legs which is why most tights/stockings are modelled by men; they have better leg definition than women - that's how Paul O'Grady (aka Lily Savage) started.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Wholigan
10th May 2004, 12:49
Nah Mad's Dad, the Centurion was a British tank! :E

Capt L
10th May 2004, 13:04
IMHO there's a big difference between Brad Pitt wearing a skirt and the average joe off the street getting around in a sarong.

I have to admit though that kilts really do it for me.:hmm:

flapsforty
10th May 2004, 13:25
The things (http://http://www.utilikilts.com/shopping-index.htm) one picks up on TRRBATPSOIT. :rolleyes:

Good male bodies look nice in most outfits (not all!) but a man in a kilt or a sarong?
Yummieeeeeeeeeee. :)

Blacksheep
10th May 2004, 13:39
Your beauty and wit is exceeded only by your taste, Flaps. The kilt is the most comfortable and elegant of male attire which, as a humble Englishman, I have been privileged to wear while bashing my haggis with my Scottish friends. As a denizen of the tropics, I find the sarong ever so cool of an evening while relaxing at home. Why are poor non-Scottish, non-Asian men forced to suffer the strangulation of trousers and underpants? - let it all hang loose I say.

So, let's hear it for the kilt and sarong, [but for decency sake keep the Greek skirt where it belongs - on the Greeks.]

MadsDad
10th May 2004, 13:49
I think Wholigan was implying he should be wearing a tank.

But Centurion is also a maker of radio equipment. To say nothing of a bank, a security firm and a supplier of GA jet engines. So if he was wearing that lot he might be considered overdressed. :confused:

Confused? I will be.

sandy helmet
10th May 2004, 15:25
Went out for a laugh one night with the lads to a club dressed in sarongs - the chickie babes were on us like flies on sh1te!!!!

Definitely a puller!!

Animalclub
10th May 2004, 15:43
My wife never minded me wearing a lap lap/sulu/sarong (from whichever tropical paradise you come from)... made "entertainment" easier. Mind you she wouldn't let me out of the house wearing it!!

SLFguy
10th May 2004, 15:59
These sling-backs are killing me!

answer=42
10th May 2004, 21:56
I remember the last time this 'male skirt' thang came around, must have been 84 or 85. There were a lot of photos in the newspaper fashion supplements. Saw a grand total of two (2) men wearing them for an evening out. I suppose that they were straight because the look on their faces just had to be seen to be believed.

Will anyone risk being photoed wearing one? Nah.

Rich Lee
10th May 2004, 22:06
I have heard that man-skirts are common on military ships at sea. American aircraft carriers even have a special color coding so that each Naval Aviator will know the speciality of each man-skirt wearer.

My name is Rich Lee and I have approved this post!

Jerricho
11th May 2004, 00:36
Awww crap...............

Stupid

adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.
A stupid or foolish person.

n.
Jerricho

Now, back in history class when Mrs Smith told me to pay attention, I wish I had!

broadreach
11th May 2004, 01:10
I've given up on the kilt, no matter how elegant Flaps may see it as. And the alternatives from Malaysia and elsewhere in SEA seem a bit long, complicating leg-crossing and rather like what the ladies here wear to the beach here before exposing their micro-kinis.

So I've settled for the simplest of let-it-all-hang-loose skirts, the softest of Egyptian cotton towels. 1.60x90 still fits around my slowly (well, not THAT slowly) expanding girth, provides ample discretionary room for leg-crossing, bears an element of mystery, provides subtle means of access and, in case of emergencies, has a quick-release handle. :O

Smeagol
11th May 2004, 05:50
As one living in a land where most of the lads (locals at least) wear dresses and having lived in places further east where the skirt was commonplace, I can vouch that the mode of dress is very practical.
Don't know about attracting the female of the species though!

5bucksyourbeautiful
11th May 2004, 05:58
wonder if they will start shaving their legs too!!! Guess they will also have to wear briefs now, boxers might peek through..:uhoh:

TamedBill
11th May 2004, 06:23
On the subject of 'peek through', with summer coming I think this would be a good time to draw attention to the fact that whilst wearing baggy shorts it is not a good idea for men to sit with one leg bent and placed on another piece of furniture. :uhoh:

High Wing Drifter
11th May 2004, 06:46
Interestingly a Centurian was in charge of eighty men not one hundred as is often thunk.
That is most unlike the uber logical Wromans. I bet there is a reason. Maybe, unbeknownst to us, they invented "downsizing" too.

tony draper
11th May 2004, 07:06
Dearth of Women wearing skirts round here now, they all seem to venture abroad wearin kecks, picking are slim for us leg men nowadays.
As for men wearing skirts,they should be lashed to a hatch cover and flogged.

:(

Stockpicker
11th May 2004, 07:23
Like to think I am something of a connaisseur of men in kilts, given the tendency of blokes here to don one at the least excuse. IMHO it is the bum as much as the legs that are important - and if it is to look good, he must stand straight, which is where a lot of men go wrong.

PAXboy
11th May 2004, 13:41
In South Africa the Kikoi (also Kikoy) is often used by men as a beach/swimming wrap. It is very similar to a sarong, made of plain cotton but printed with horizontal bands of colour, rather than the swirling patterns of the sarong. It originates, I understand, from East Africa.

I have a number of them and wear them around the house, to the pool and beach. I have not yet worn one in public in the UK as I just cannot be bothered with the sniggers that would be forthcoming. In South Africa, it is no issue.

It can be worn to fall just be low the knee or, if you want to attract attention, fold in half and then wrap around, so that it is well above the knee. :eek: