PDA

View Full Version : Brown v Red sauce

Rugz
10th May 2004, 11:57
Bacon butties were supplied in a recent early morning meeting that I had, and the biggest disagreement of the meeting kicked off concerning Brown v Red sauce.

Those of us having brown sauce (HP of course) looked down upon those having red sauce and accused them of being great southern panzies.

Were we right to accuse them of this, and where does mayonnaise fit in to this argument? :E

surely not
10th May 2004, 12:03
No contest here..............Brown Sauce wins hands down.

Plenty of Southerners also use Brown Sauce so not sure if the jibe was accurate, plus some would consider West Bromwich to be fairly southern!

Mayonnaise doesn't figure at all :yuk:

angels
10th May 2004, 12:03
With bacon butties? Neither.

With a proper fry-up. Heinz Ketchup.

Brown sauce is muck. My colleague Big Mal from Oswaldtwistle -- a loyal Accrington Stanley fan -- agrees.

Mebbe it's just Midlanders that like the stuff.

lasernigel
10th May 2004, 12:04
Of course you were.Tomato ketchup only with fried egg banjo.
Mayo never except for those arty/farty southern wimps.
Always brown for bacon butties and preferably H.P.

tony draper
10th May 2004, 12:05
one prefers one Bacon Sarnies neat(no sauce)however on does like sauce on Bacon and Eggs,one alternates betwixt the two,HP original/Heinz Tomato Ketchup, occasionaly Worcestershire, which reminds one,one needs a new bottle of Worcestershire.
Also none of this neat dollop on the side of the plate like the posh folks, one squirts the fecker around like a real man.

:rolleyes:
One has to concure with Mr Nigel, Tomato sauce only on a Egg Butty

surely not
10th May 2004, 12:07
Oi! Angels, who are you calling a midlander!!!! Take that back at once or it'll be pistols at dawn

tony draper
10th May 2004, 12:09
Mayoniase on a bacon butty!!?dear god is the entire world turning bloody fruit?, the mind boggles.
:suspect:

G-DESK
10th May 2004, 12:14
Mayonnaise only good on chips. I like brown sauce on my bacon butties, never ketchup (and am very much a southerner, although prefer to think of myself as a rose rather than a pansy :rolleyes: ).

surely not
10th May 2004, 12:22
Mayo is for salads and curried egg sandwiches only, it has no reason for being in sandwiches at all other than to render them disgusting!

MadsDad
10th May 2004, 12:23
Brown Sauce = too harsh
Tomato Ketchup = too sweet
Fruity Sauce (apparently a mixture of aboves) = Just Right

Except for chips. Always have Tartare Sauce on chips. :ok:

ssultana
10th May 2004, 12:28
I agree with draper. One should take the bacon sandwich, without sauce or butter. There is no need to defile the delicate cuisine with 'sauce'.

topcat450
10th May 2004, 12:30
Brown sauce with me.

and the bread HAS to be white, brown bread just doesn't cut it.

Biggles Flies Undone
10th May 2004, 12:46
I like both, but it must be Heinz Ketchup and HP brown - some of the stuff they try to fob one off with in chippies and caffs is :yuk:

As for mayo in sarnies, it does have its place - either with ham & salad, corned beef & onion or tuna and finely chopped spring onion :ok:

Cheesymac
10th May 2004, 12:46
Agree with G-DESK. Mayo with chips everytime, but make my on Mayo with Dijon Mustard. Great in Chicken Sarnies:ok:

Brown Sauce for Bacon Sarnies & Fry-Ups although my daughter seems to eat everything with Hoisin Sauce:ugh:

Wild Jack's Sauce for Ribs is tough to beat if you can find it. Any ideas where I can get it in the U.K. ?

Cheers,
Cheesy.

SuperOwl
10th May 2004, 13:03
If I'm only having an fried egg sandwich, I'll use Heinz ketchup.

Once meat becomes involved, I'll use the HP sauce. If having a Full English, I love the taste of fried black pudding with a little HP on it, washed down by a nice mug of tea.

lasernigel
10th May 2004, 13:08
MAYO on chips!!!!Disgusting.Salt and vinegar(malt only)possibly ketchup.
Mayo is the sandwich industries big consumer rip-off,lots of cheap gloopy stuff and hardly any substance.eg tuna.

Gainesy
10th May 2004, 13:22
All of a sudden, I'm hungry.

English Mustard on bacon butties.

(Trundles off to make said butty.)

MadsDad
10th May 2004, 13:22
SuperOwl. One of, if not the, best accompaniments to black pudding is to melt some Stilton on top under the grill.

However I digress.

I also salivate. :E

Windy Militant
10th May 2004, 13:50
HP sauce on Bacon Butties. Colmans English ( At last I've found something nice to say about the Sais;) ) Mustard, the proper powdered stuff on Sausages. And when having a fry up both of the above :ok:

Whirlygig
10th May 2004, 13:50
As neither of my parents liked brown sauce, I had never tasted it until I was 35. That was one of my biggest regrets in life (along with confusing bread pudding with bread-and-butter pudding) and now, it is HP every time!

Cheers

Whirlygig

IB4138
10th May 2004, 13:52
I've started putting BOTH brown and red on my bacon sarnies.

:ok:

Hell....now I'm hungry again!

tony draper
10th May 2004, 14:03
That is positively decadent IB4, twas such extravagant habits that brung down the Roman Empire.

angels
10th May 2004, 14:11
surely - alright then you're a northerner, as is anyone north of Watford.

Anyone actually know what's in brown sauce???

topcat450
10th May 2004, 14:24
HP Brown Sauce

100% natural. No artificial colour. No artificial preservatives. No artificial flavours. Low in fat. Suitable for Vegetarians.

Ingredients: Malt vinegar, tomatoes, molasses, spirit vinegar, sugar, dates, salt, cornflour, rye flour, tamarinds, soy sauce, spices, onion extract.

IB4138
10th May 2004, 14:27
If you try the new Lea & Perrins Table Sauce, Mr Draper, you will find it tastes the same as my mix of Red and Brown. Why have an extra bottle in the cupboard, when you can mix it yourself!

The sad think is that HP Sauce is now owned by those damm froggy people. Danone!:(

Dop
10th May 2004, 15:52
Mayonnaise on chips. Eeeugh!!!! Horrible! I'd never even HEARD of that until I moved down south. I can't understand how anyone could like that!

Now give me a bottle of Henderson's Relish and you're talking!

airship
10th May 2004, 16:10
Mayonnaise on chips. My recipe for a do-all dressing for salads and chips: :O
3 dessertspoons of mayonnaise;
1 dessertspoon of Lingham's chilli sauce (mild, add another spoon for more heat);
2 dessertspoons of sugar;
Beats all brown/red sauces... ;)

SuperOwl
10th May 2004, 16:52
Dop...

The mighty Hendersons relish. I went to school around the corner from where they make that stuff.

It is considered a crime by practically everyone I know to have Meat and Potato pie without some Hendersons on. Do you share that view?

surely not
10th May 2004, 17:25
Angels, actually I'm a southerner born of northern stock.

Stilton on top of Black Pudding, now that sounds like something I need to try in a hurry.

ssultana
10th May 2004, 17:36
Are we talking about smoked or unsmoked bacon?

Caslance
10th May 2004, 17:59
Smoked or unsmoked, north or south, it simply has to be HP.

B*gger! Now I'm hungry, too..........:ooh:

London Jets
10th May 2004, 20:55
I'm always hungry and it's daddys sauce for me!!

IB4138
10th May 2004, 21:10
That's it!

I've remembered ther's some cold ham and pineapple pizza in the fridge..........covered in HP...should make a decent snack!:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
10th May 2004, 22:18
Reminds me of a story from World War II. Apparently, due to local shortages, the Americans sent over a convoy containing two tanker ships, one carrying Brown sauce and the other carrying Red. Unfortunately, the convoy was sighted by a marauding U-boat and both tankers were torpedoed.

Both vessels were lost and forty five crewmen were marooned.

reynoldsno1
10th May 2004, 22:18
Mayonnaise on chips is a continental thing - personally I think it is very nice... I also note the biggest YUCKs came from Burnley and Croydon, which is understandable, of course.
We have a locally made rival to Watties/Heinz ketchup here in NZ, made by a firm called Whitlock's. Their Tomato Chutney sauce is excellent, and much favoured by r1jr. HP sauce is particularly nice on grilled or plum tomatoes, grilled cheese and baked beans (only Watties/HP beans, of course)

Synthetic
11th May 2004, 00:12
I did have a series of witty and incisive replies to this thread, but it's made me so hungry that I'm off to the kitchen----

IB4138
11th May 2004, 07:52
Rugz

Do you realise what you have done?

With this simple thread you have forced ppruners to go on eating binges.

You and you alone, are responsible for the now increasing waistlines and obesity that will ensue the world over!:uhoh:

You have encouraged people in countries and of beliefs where the eating of pork is forbidden, to try and enjoy eating BACON BUTTIES (smoked or unsmoked).:E

Some countries may well refuse you entry, as a result of this wanton act.

I trust the moderators have mercy on you! :ooh:

I'm off into town to get a size bigger trousers...I'll send you the bill!:p

Rugz
11th May 2004, 09:29
I strongly deny the rumours that I am a pig farmer. I am nothing more than a normal person that enjoys a wonderful bacon sandwich with loads of brown sauce...a juicy Succulent bacon sandwich, slightly crispy with fresh soft white bread...can ya smell it? can ya? :E

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 09:43
Rugz, that's it, you've gone too far this time. That was the final straw. I'm off.

Straight to the bacon butty van.

tony draper
11th May 2004, 09:49
The problem is not the colour of the sauce but finding decent bacon nowadays, unless one Like Drapes has access to a plump blonde lady who is willing to cut the bacon paper thin bacon is universally awful now,
Tiz that feckin EU's fault, may they be pissed upon from a great height by all the demons and imps from hell.

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 09:52
I'm back.

And in front of me is a beautiful, crisp bacon sandwich (and I can't agree with you more Mr. D. Bacon should be a good thickness (I would recommend my local butcher). And this is).

With Worcestershire Table sauce today (having decided against the HP Fruity).

Gronchh gronch snuffle.

:ok:

tony draper
11th May 2004, 10:00
Well cut it to thick and it surely ceases to be bacon and becomes a pork chop, I dunno anybody who eats pork chop sarnies with or without red or brown sauce.
Hmmm come to think no doubt some prooner does.
Incidently the pork sarnie used to be Geordie soul food a one time,don't think there is a single pork shop left now, it used to be said yer could take a dry bun wipe it through the steam on the pork shop window and it would fill yer up forra week.

Vortex what...ouch!
11th May 2004, 10:07
I strongly deny the rumours that I am a pig farmer. I am nothing more than a normal person that enjoys a wonderful bacon sandwich with loads of brown sauce...a juicy Succulent bacon sandwich, slightly crispy with fresh soft white bread...can ya smell it? can ya?

Ya bastard. I'm in Belgium and that is one thing I can't have right now.

You're evil you are. :{

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 10:19
Pauses to wipe mouth with tissue and pat tummy. :D

Chops (pork or lamb) involve bones. Bacon is from further down the back I think, below the rib cage.

I was referring (and think Mr. D was too) to bacon cut at a reasonable thickness, as opposed to the sheets of tissue paper too commonly sold these days, the one's that overcook in 2 1/4 seconds. I suppose bacon cut too thick could be gammon (or is that a different bit?).

Although on the subject of pork chops I have recently seen chops on sale with the slice of kidney still attached, like you got in the good old days. I remember reading this practise had been banned (something to do with the different keeping/cooking qualities giving an increased danger of food poisoning). Possible bit of illegality here but who cares. I love chops with the kidney
attached and it's my risk (plus anone else willing to brave my cooking). :E

Biggles Flies Undone
11th May 2004, 10:30
Very naughty thread – has obliged me to cram a toasted egg & bacon sarnie (brown sauce) down my neck instead of something a tad healthier. Was jolly good though :ok:

I agree with MadsDad – let us make up our own minds on what we eat. I haven’t seen a pork chop with kidney for years but I vividly remember the wonderful ones my Nan used to cook when I went to see her – crispy crackling, tasty kidney, perfect roast potatoes and a big dollop of pease pudding. Followed by lovely bread pudding (AND she let me scrape all the crispy bits off the side of the pan).

Oh heck, I’m hungry again :{

5bucksyourbeautiful
11th May 2004, 10:32
you shouldnt eat sauce its bad for you. Red or brown or whatever color. Its all garbage.

tony draper
11th May 2004, 10:32
You may well be right Mr MD, round here one can get pork chops sans bone, I think pork becomes or should one say became bacon when it was cured,they don't appear to cure it now, they just leave a joint of pork for a while, dip it in some kind of dye,inject it with some revolting white gunk then slice it up and call it bacon.
One is quite fond of pork chops and lamb cutlets, not much meat on a lamb cutlet so one has to have perhaps 12 of them on ones plate, preferably with some Jersey royals, spring cabbage and mint sauce.
Yummy.

Rugz
11th May 2004, 10:35
For all you true worshippers...

http://www.higherdesign.com/brownsauce/main.htm

:E

I have just had the misfortune to discover a recipe for a bacon and BANANA sandwich...it's immoral, wrong and I feel a bit sick now :(

How can they even consider doing something as disgusting as that? I'd take it up with the Prime Minister if he wasn't such a....(hmmm, better not say otherwise the mods will remove my bacon sandwich rights :E )

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 10:49
Mr. D. I think you are right - never really been certain of the difference between bacon and pork. It must be the curing (although it still doesn't seem to have done the pig much good. :E ).

Fortunately we have a brilliant local butcher. He runs a farm as well and all his lamb and beef comes from his own farm (it's the only butcher I know where, when you buy some beef, he can tell you the name of the cow). The rest (pork, chook, etc.) comes from his mates and is chopped up in the shop to one's request. He also cures and slices his own bacon (MadsMum thinks it too salty sometimes, but I love it; and you can get any thickness you want) and even the pies he sells are home made by his sister. A marvellous place.

And the lamb cutlets and Jersey Royals are exactly what I have planned for tea (although cabbage, of any variety, :yuk: . Peas and green beans instead. ).:D

(Note to moderator. As well as a 'pedant' smiley can we please have a 'I am starving hungry. Again' smiley for use on this thread).

surely not
11th May 2004, 10:58
Bacon and Pork are quite different flavours, both quite delicious, and Gammon is more akin to Bacon in flavour than Pork.

MadsDad I live in Sussex and would love to have a pork chop with Kidney.........are you in or near Sussex?? PM me if you are.

I'm off to the Kitchen now to make a bacon sarnie.

Rugz
11th May 2004, 11:02
Brainwashing is so simple, isn't it? :E

Hey, I've just noticed that it's 11am which means time for mid-morning break and a delicious melt-in your mouth bacon sarnie. You know you want one, don't you? So why are you trying to pretend? Smell the bacon....the brown sauce....

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 11:05
sn. No, sorry. Deepest Mummerset, where the cider apples grow.

Biggles Flies Undone
11th May 2004, 11:06
This is doing my head (and stomach) in! Was planning lamb chops tonight which I usually do with a pile of mash, carrots, onions and plenty of thick gravy. The Jersey Royals do sound very tempting though. Is it going-home time yet?

We need to start a Sussex search for pork chops with kidney!

surely not
11th May 2004, 11:16
Good Idea BFU! We need to develop a strategy, which could easily be done at a roadside butty bar whilst chomping on a bacon butty!

lasernigel
11th May 2004, 11:27
Round here you can get bacon chops,normal bacon cut 1/2" thick.All bacon/gammon is cured pork,either by dipping it in a brine solution,or dry cure using just salt.
For once the Germans do something real tasty,normally around the Frankfurt region called schweinhack or haxen,which is like our ham hocks baked in the oven with lots of crackling served with saurkraut and bratkartoffel(fried spud and onion)..yum yum!!!

angels
11th May 2004, 11:40
Herr Draper once cursed a thread I started about sausages.

I hereby curse this thread.

It has just forced me to abandon the screens and go out and buy a huge doorstep bacon sarnie and consume it -- with no sauce of either colour.
:O

Rugz
11th May 2004, 11:43
The master plan is working...... :E

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 12:01
Angels, if typing about it is bad thank the Gods you haven't got SmelliePPrune. I'll swear the smell of cooking bacon would turn Ghandi into a carnivore.

Many years ago, marshalling on the RAC rally, dispatched to the nether regions of Kielder forest, many miles from civilisation.
The scene: 04.00 pitch-black, November morning. Temperature minus far, far too many for comfort. The only sounds the howlings of the wind and local brass monkeys and the occasional dull thud of another snowdrift falling from the sky. Not seen or heard anyone for hours.
Rally due through in a couple of hours so out with the gas stove, on with the frying pan and in with the bacon and the smell starts drifting through the trees. Mate says 'bloody hell' looking behind us. Turn round to see about 40 people gathered in a semi-circle having appeared from nowhere. :ooh:

By dextrous use of tyre-levers and wheel braces we fought them off until we had eaten our butties. :}

IB4138
11th May 2004, 12:04
Do the piggies that become smoked bacon, get a government health warning first...like

"being smoked will kill you and lead to you being sliced up, cooked, placed between two slices of bread, covered in red and/or brown sauce and devoured."

There used to be a company who's trucks I used to see about called " The pig improvement company". You would have thought they would have educated the said porkers about the perils of becoming smoked!:confused:

Hmm ...bacon sarny for lunch, mit brown sauce......pork sausages for dinner with mash and covered in red sauce.:E

Isn't it time Rugz had a government health warning?

jimthebus
11th May 2004, 12:23
Sharwoods Green Label Chutney Sauce for me.

It is both spicy and tangy while at the same time being sweet.

Biggles Flies Undone
11th May 2004, 12:24
MadsDad – I followed the RAC with a bunch of mates all through the 80’s – motor homes full of beer, bacon & sweaty bodies :ooh: (and the farts were truly of a higher order).

I remember fantastic times, lots of barbies in the forest at 0-dark hundred under a starry sky – but I don’t think we ever went to Kielder when it wasn’t freeeeeeeeezing. But I do remember a particularly fine hog roast by the reservoir one year :ok:

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 12:41
BFU. Mine was mid 70s - mid 80s.

Motor home - bloody luxury. Three of us, with sleeping bags, in a car. Won't comment on the smell - after 4 days in the car you couldn't smell anything anyway. :E Kielder was always bloody cold (forgot to mention having to put the gas cylinder behind the car exhaust to get it warm enough to get some gas out). Difficult to forget losing the road in the snow on top of the North Yorks Moors one night and ending up in the heather. :confused: Ended up with two of us walking away from the car in opposite directions, poking sticks into the snow looking for the road! Or watching a mate in a car park in a quary in the Lake district in November having a shower in a waterfall. :\

Mind you the coldest I ever remember being was in the car park at the top of Sutton Bank at 2 in the morning, air temperature -8 and a 50+mph wind from the west. Praying for a mini to come into the control (you could put your hands under the passenger side front wheel-arch to warm them on the radiator).

But there was always time for a bacon butty. :D

IB4138
11th May 2004, 13:31
Lucky Buglers!

If you were sat in a navigators seat you did not have time for such luxuries. Do you realise how you tortured us as we went by?:{

The fumes!

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 14:01
Done both.

Worst I can remember though is 2 miles into a long (25 mile) Dalby stage deciding I really should have taken advantage of the scenenery before the start. And I had to empty a whole can of coke out of the window to get an empty first. :{

Could have been worse though. Could have been the driver.

(MadsLad has mentioned a FJ solution to the same problem, involving an immersion suit and the Bill Connolly 'incontinence pants' walk. I don't think Nomex has the required liquid retentive qualities though).

I can remember providing both solid and liquid refreshments (aka a butty and a cuppa tea) to crews who had misfortunate incidents with their cars in the vicinity (usually involving ditches AND trees AND logpiles AND rocks). You were obviously one of the luckier one's.

Biggles Flies Undone
11th May 2004, 15:36
I remember Kielder in 83 – the stage was at about 0300, Lancia had wrapped up the championship and just sent an 037 as course car, Mikkola and Blomqvist on the ragged edge. Not a cloud in the sky and when I bit into a bar of chocolate it exploded like shrapnel it was so cold. Brrrrr!

Tony Pond came along to one of our marshal’s evenings and told a wonderful story – his navigator miscounted the crests at Eppynt and what should have been a flat crest turned out to be crest followed by 90 right. They went off ‘doing 6 trees a second’ and, when the dust settled, the nav looked down at the dark, spreading stain in his overalls and said ‘Christ – I hope that’s blood!’

Happy days and talk about thread-creep!

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 15:51
Not really thread creep.

Bacon sarnies in the cold light of dawn goes with rally marshalling like fish and chips or navigators and vomit. :ok:

surely not
11th May 2004, 15:51
meanwhile back at the thread, creep was in evidence :D

Jimthebus how can you destroy a sumptious bacon sarnie by putting pickle on it!!!!!! Are you trying to stop people feeling hungry!!

Rugz
11th May 2004, 15:54
It is nearly 4pm in the UK. Some of us will tonight be having pork sausages for dinner, as a result of so many people talking about bacon and pork today :E

Then of course as the evening progresses and midnight gets closer, there will be for some the unstoppable urge for a crispy bacon sarnie...

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 15:57
In fact just off to the butchers now.

However I am going to get lamb tonight. There is something about the sight of those lovely fluffy little creatures gambolling around in the fields just brings to mind the thought of a nice chump chop. :E

And a tureen of mint sauce (not mentioned previously that I can recall. Though agreed not suitable for bacon).

Rugz
11th May 2004, 15:59
Ah, yes. The typical conversation between me and my girlfriend whilst driving through country lanes etc:

Girlfriend: Oh look, lambs! Aaaaaaaaw
Me: Lambs? YUM :E
SLAP!

Girlfriend is of the vegetarian variety

surely not
11th May 2004, 16:00
respect is due to Rugz for providing such an inspiring thread. Yet not content with such an explosive addition to the forum he has now got the 'finish the sentence' thread introducing bacon butties into the storyline.

We can rely on Rugz to bring home the bacon methinks :D

tony draper
11th May 2004, 16:03
Matter of fact one has a nice peice of Haddock for ones tea, one might however have a fry up tomorrow, including a slice of black pud of course.

Taildragger55
11th May 2004, 16:13
discover a recipe for a bacon and BANANA sandwich

Rugz, you are in error, bacon and banana butties are exquisite.

I can remember tucking into one in the wonderful "Left Bank" coffee shop in Adelaide about 1990, and looking up to see Billy Connolly sitting directly opposite.

He was looking right grumpy so I decided not ask for an autograph.

Rugz
11th May 2004, 16:14
Billy was probably sitting there feeling physically sick that anyone could order and then eat that disgusting waste of good bacon.

Yuck yuck yuck! :E

lasernigel
11th May 2004, 16:19
I wonder what my cardiac rehab nurse will say when I tell her that I had 4 wedges of toasted bread, filled with 8 slices of nicely crisped bacon and lashings of H.P. sauce for lunch?
Obviously besides greedy!!

DishMan
11th May 2004, 16:25
To quote Victor Meldrew:
"I can't believe it!"

I get to page 5 and no-one has mentioned replacing their brown or red sauce on their bacon sarnie with:
Marmelade! MMmmmmmm:ok: :) Yummy!

Best back unsmoked bacon, thick sliced (not yer plastic packet wafer thin stuff). Grilled til the rind is just crunchy.....
Oooh mouth watering:{ :ugh:

If forced to choose between Brown or Red sauce - it has to be brown that wins - the red stuff is too sweet and little taste. Brown gives the tang needed. Especially with a full blown English fry up. :ok:

tony draper
11th May 2004, 16:26
The last honest to god really proper crispy bacon I tasted was near twenty years ago in the USA,but for some reason they brung it on a separate plate from me eggs and flapjack thingies but what yer expect from folks who don't know how to use knives and forks proper.

Gainesy
11th May 2004, 16:35
Every time I visit this thread , I end up making a sarnie. Not bacon this time, cheese and tomato.

Oops. thread creep.

MadsDad
11th May 2004, 17:24
I will repeat my claim for Fruity sauce (as I said, apparently a mix, but not as harsh as brown or sweet as red).

I would also allow marmalade, but only on cheese sandwiches (unpateurised Cheddar and Dundee marmalade, yum).

And bacon related, but with no bread involved at a risk of thread creep, an excellent meal is bacon (or gammon), new potatoes, broad beans and parsley sauce.

IB4138
11th May 2004, 18:20
If it's coats off time...

WHAT ABOUT BRANSTON! with cheese.:ok:

and tonights snack:

Pork Scratchins with apple sauce!

reynoldsno1
11th May 2004, 22:08
a bacon and BANANA sandwich

Cut bananas into 1 inch segments, wrap with a rasher of streaky bacon, put on skewers and baebecue - honest, they're really nice...

IB4138
11th May 2004, 22:21
I hate bananas in any form...apart from when they are made into
UHU glue.

Tonights dinner was amended due to postings on this thread and another.

Pork sausages, pigs kidneys and dos eggs with brown sauce.:ok:

SuperOwl
12th May 2004, 10:46
I've just had a Bacon, Sausage, Egg and Black Pudding buttie. The sauce? HP of course! All washed down by a big mug of tea.

Magic!:ok:

Dop
12th May 2004, 10:57
All this talk of bacon reminds me of this Simpsons quote:-

Homer: Lisa honey, are you saying you are never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No!
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No!
Homer: Pork Chops!?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal!
Homer: Yeah right Lisa, a wonderful "magical" animal

Lon More
12th May 2004, 11:08
IB4138 Re one of your posts concerning ownership of HP.
When I was a lad the list of ingredients etc. was listed in French on one side of the bottle, together with a list of prizes, medals etc. won abroad.
Best frites, not chips, are available in Belgium, some friteurs have a menu of 20 - 30 available sauces; picallili for me.

Lon. In Netherlands, now dying for the full Scots fry-up; square slice sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom,black pudding, fried fruit slice, baked beans and fried bread. All lathered in HP fired from a distance of about 2 feet and washed down with a LARGE mug of sweet, milky tea. Aah, coronary special!!

Unwell_Raptor
12th May 2004, 11:33
It started:-

"Cette sauce de haute qualité est un mélange de fruits orientaux, d'épices et du vinaigre de vin".

It went on to say how it was good in les hachis et les ragouts.

Anyone remember the whole thing?

tony draper
12th May 2004, 11:46
Think one has mentioned this before, Drapes was the only person sailing under the Red Duster that actually liked tinned sausages,and as these tended to be loaded into ships stores by the ton,they appeared on the brecky menu quite often,think the most one managed was 23 at a sitting, but one only had four eggs on ones brecky plate at the time.
The usual protocol was for cookie to do a tray of sixty, remove them from the oven, hand tray to the galley boy who would walk to the lee side wall and fling them into the ogan, not before Drapes had a double handfull though.
Always with HP by the way, any chief steward failing to order sufficient HP was liable to find himself on a slow desent to fiddlers green with a anchor shackle strapped to his ankles.

jockeymon
12th May 2004, 11:55
Anyone mention you ought to have a tatty scone on the side to mop up the drips of fat and BROWN SAUCE from the breakfast roll (be it bacon or lorne)

MadsDad
12th May 2004, 13:44
Just to point out that no bacon sandwich was allowed this morning. So no sauce either. :{ :{ :{

IB4138
12th May 2004, 14:55
Sausage sandwich with HP for lunch today.:ok:

lasernigel
12th May 2004, 16:23
Mr Draper sir.You have just brought it all back to me.Whilst in the Army the ration packs had tinned sausages,all packed in fat.We called them compo sausages,rations needed using up whilst back at base so older guys like me would form long queues for said sausages at breakfast,youngsters couldn't see what all the fuss was about(typical).
Question can we still get them,if so where?
Please,please you know!!!!

Gainesy
12th May 2004, 16:30
LN,

Had a couple of catering-size tins of compo sausages given to me by an army guy last year. Bliss. All gone within a month I'm afraid.
I recall that they were produced by a company called McConickay (sp?) somewhere near Manchester.

Oh bugga, sarnie time again.:(

SuperOwl
12th May 2004, 16:48
I have just returned from a little shopping trip where I purchased some bacon and fresh bread. The bacon was sliced to my specification so I now have 6 rashers of back bacon that are about 4mm thick. My uncle, who recommended this butcher to me, said that this bacon will not shrink as the butcher does not inject water into it.

The bread, oven fresh from the village bakery and just to make sure, I've picked up another bottle of HP sauce. Now, what shall I have for my tea?

:confused:

Lost_luggage34
12th May 2004, 17:41
Simple but very important rule ;

Fried Egg sarnie = brown sauce

Bacon sarnie = English mustard

tony draper
12th May 2004, 18:04
I'm afraid I have no idea where tinned sausages are to be had chaps,in fact I think I have asked the same question on proon,tiz forty odd years years since Drapes tasted em,

:confused:

Lost_luggage34
12th May 2004, 18:12
LL34 feels a SPAM thread coming !

tony draper
12th May 2004, 18:33
One likes spam fritters,although one tends to use Pek now, Pek used to be a very tasty what known as luncheon meat, tiz universally awfull now and is only fit for fritters.

Lon More
12th May 2004, 20:28
just heated up a tin of tomato soup; thought it was lacking in flavour, so added some HP; delicious

Unwell_Raptor
12th May 2004, 21:46
Here is a recipe for home-made canned sausages from a Christian cookery site

http://www.christianhomekeeper.com/meat5.html

lasernigel
12th May 2004, 22:28
Mr Draper/Gainsey I will now make it my personal priority to find said sausages and relay my success when accomplished.
Spam fritters are bliss by the way but after finding out the results of my blood test taken last week,will have to put them on the back burner so to speak.
Thanks for the recipe Raptor but taste buds require the real thing not substitutes.Shame.

tony draper
12th May 2004, 23:15
Mr Laser,Simvastin and other istins are to become available without prescription over the counter soon, once the general public discover this miraculous drug and its drastic effect on colestoral levels, as Drapes has done, the country can return happily and safely to stuffing all the greasy food down their necks their hearts desire, the operative word being heart, with a couple of simvastic down yer neck, yer ticker, arteries and the like are immune from grease in all its forms, or so the advertising blurb will read, the greasy food industry is turning sumersaults of joy at this good news

lasernigel
13th May 2004, 09:09
Mr Draper,thanks for that .Actually changed my statin yesterday as I was getting joint pains with the original(some side effect).
However cholestorel levels falling but weight not!!!
But NOT giving up all greasy foods post statin,hurrah for drugs!!!

tony draper
13th May 2004, 09:18
The dosage instructions on my Simvastin box says, "take one at night with a cream cake"
Tee hee, **** the health food nazies.

Rugz
13th May 2004, 09:58
Mmmmmm, just had a bacon roll with lashings of brown sauce. Tis what life is all about.

I am intrigued about this drup that allows you to eat vast quantites of greasy food without ya arteries clogging up. But rather than to enquire further here, I shall wait until I start getting those numerous emails offering them to me for a fraction of the over the counter price. :suspect:

Now that you've all got me on the subject of food again, does anyone remember the army rations shreaded steak that can in unmarked tins? Was absolute heaven, but bugga'd if I can find anything similiar these days :(

Anyone know where I can get it?

lasernigel
13th May 2004, 10:10
Rugz All you need to do is get a blood test done at your Dr's,you are entitled to have it done,the practice nurse usually does it.If it comes back with a high cholestrol reading >6,or your LDL levels are high you can ask to be put on said Statin to help lower it.I was put on them post heart attack last year even tho my levels weren't too high.
After reminiscing re compo sausages and now your shredded steak think is it a good idea to start new topic...Food from the past and ask ppruners if they know if it is still available.
What think you Mr Draper ?

IB4138
13th May 2004, 10:12
lazernigel and Drapes

I've been on Atorvastatin for 8 years now. Like you lazernigel, the c level goes down, but the weight doesn't.

Never mind the cream cakes Drapes, I've never had a hangover since I went on 'em.:ok:

My cardiologist back in the Uk was from Ozz. First think he told me, after my angioplasty, was to drink a bottle of red a day...after a month he increased it to two....and finally after twelve months to any amount of any type of booze!:D Said "It will do you no harm!" Spot on bloke.

My quack was mortified, as he had told me to change my lifestyle and drink only one or two glasses of red wine a day...so I bought a glass that took a full bottle, just to keep him happy.:p

lasernigel
13th May 2004, 10:22
IB 4138 Couldn't agree with you more.Atorvastatin was making joints very sore so have just changed to provorstatin yesterday so will see how it goes.
Put on loads of weight post heart attack too, had two angioplasty's as first one failed after 6 months.New stents (3) have drug on them to stop blockages,cost £900 - £1500 each.Now worth more in scrap metal!!!!
Keep drinking the red,I do.