PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen surfing?

AerBabe
9th May 2004, 22:45
On Friday night, as I got into my car to drive home, I noticed a large, winged insect on my windscreen. Never mind, I thought to myself, it will fly off when I start driving. Sure enough, as I turned out of the car park onto the main road, its wings were lifted up with the air current. But this little bug didn't want to go anywhere... it just turned itself around, facing down the screen, and hung on. As I drove through town at 30 mph, it stood still, the wind ruffling its wings. At the end of town, I slowed for a roundabout, and the insect turned and walked sideways across the screen. As I moved off again and its wings started to get lifted, it turned to face down again. This continued for the 10 miles it took to drive home.

This incident led me to wonder... was it enjoying itself? Let's look at the facts. Winged insects aren't known to hang around in one place for very long; it took me about 20 minutes to drive home. Whenever my speed increased, it turned to face down the screen, looking for all the world like a skier. It takes an awful lot of energy to fly 10 miles with little wings, but much less to sit on a car windscreen.

Or was the poor thing just scared to death and only clinging on for fear of what might happen if it didn't? :{

Jinkster
9th May 2004, 22:48
Why didnt you use the wipers? :}

AerBabe
9th May 2004, 22:52
You're not a scientist, are you. :rolleyes:

tony draper
9th May 2004, 22:58
Used to love watching Dolphins surfing the bow wave on a ship but they is a bit smarter than yer average bug.
We used to have bets on the flying fish as well,see who's fish could stay airborn longest, they did some incredable distances.
We led a simple life at sea.
:rolleyes:

timmcat
9th May 2004, 23:11
If you were stuck to a windscreen with a woman driving.. you would hang on till your arms were pulled off... wouldnt you?

.I'll get me coat

Bletchley
9th May 2004, 23:14
The Insect was probably frightened of bailing out in case he got caught by some prick in a jam sandwich and got knicked for speeding...or some other seriously villanous crime associated with motorists.

AerBabe
9th May 2004, 23:15
TimmcatI'll get me coat Yes, do. And run boy, run...cos if I get my hands on you........ :suspect:

peb
9th May 2004, 23:58
Maybe tha boundary layer???:suspect:

Ascend Charlie
10th May 2004, 00:05
Aerbabe,
Your bug must have posted on Bugnet about what a great time he had on your windscreen, because last night about a million of his mates all tried to land on my windscreen to do the same.

Unfortunately, I was doing 110 km/hr at the time, they all failed.:)

Ozzy
10th May 2004, 00:47
and of course, "what's the last thing to go through a fly's mind when it hits your windscreen at 30mph?" It's @rse":E :E

Ozzy

Rich Lee
10th May 2004, 01:08
Ascend Charlie Aerbabe, Your bug must have posted on Bugnet about what a great time he had on your windscreen, because last night about a million of his mates all tried to land on my windscreen to do the same. Unfortunately, I was doing 110 km/hr at the time, they all failed.
If one of those bugs was the Queen, they will mark you, and hunt you down. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Aerbabe Aviators always hang too long around women.

Capt Claret
10th May 2004, 09:55
And what did one bug say to the other, after they both hit the windscreen of a vehicle doing 160 kliks? (NT open road - no speed limit)

If I had the guts I'd do that again! :}

Tim Inder
10th May 2004, 10:42
Had a similar thing a few years back when I was doing my BGT (as it was called then) Gliding course with the ATC.
Just before launch I noticed a ladybird sitting on the canopy over my head. I thought no more about it until we pinged off the wire at the top of the launch - I looked up and he was still there!

He too was pointing into wind, and moved around sideslipped and did all sorts to try to get him off.

He eventually gave up when we got close to VNe - maybe he'd read the placard!

AerBabe
10th May 2004, 13:39
I'm glad it's not just me. I bet most of these (w)ho(o)ligans would unthinkingly just swipe the poor thing off the screen with a flick of the wipers.

When I was doing my PPL, my instructor used to get all funny about people squashing any flying insects. He would refer to them as 'fellow aviators' and refuse to let them be harmed.

Taildragger55
10th May 2004, 13:51
Bill Lishman, who uses a microlight to lead geese and othe birds south to teach them how to migrate, said in his entertaining book "Fly Away Home" that the smarter geese used ride the wave off the leading age of his wing to avoid having to flap.
Not as dumb as they look.

AerBabe
10th May 2004, 14:13
Not as dumb as they look The same is true of a lot of birds.

left_hand_drive
10th May 2004, 14:23
I had one of these windscreen surfers last weekend. I think it was staging protest after having a run-in with a few hundred of his cousins whilst circuit bashing! :}

Unfortunately I forgot to top up the washer fluid so decided against the wiper option. Full respect for his/her efforts though... didn't loose its grip until 70mph :) :ok:

Animalclub
10th May 2004, 16:47
Try avoiding the winged demons when you're driving through a plague of lotus (loti?)... they're noisey when you run over them too.

tony draper
10th May 2004, 17:22
One has just rescued a large fat Bumble Bee from beating itself to death on the skylight, place glass over said creature slide envelope under glass open door remove envelope and fling contents of glass into the air, Bees can be stupid creatures but tiz a offence against the cosmos to kill a Bee,had it been a Wasp of course, one would have slew it instantly with a rolled up newspaper.

Thats me karma balanced for the day,make up for threatening to nuke three quarters of the world when one was in a bad mood this morning.

:rolleyes: