PDA

View Full Version : Wireless technology whilst in the air

stickyb
9th May 2004, 17:07
Now that more and more laptops are being made with built-in wireless connections (and to the uninitiated, no way of switching it off in flight) do these things pose a similar risk to mobile phones?
I know the power output is less, but has anyone done any studies?

(ed for sp)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th May 2004, 19:34
stickyb,

I do not know of even cellular phones actually posing a risk. (More like urban legend.)

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
9th May 2004, 20:01
Cellphones in the USA seem not to cause a problem. My UK one plays havoc with the VOR and ILS in the Arrer if I forget and leave it on. Something to do with GSM compared with the PCS (or whatever it is) system.

My laptop and my pocket PC have Bluetooth, but it can be turned off. I've not come across any device with "always-on" bluetooth. The WiFi card in my laptop is PCMCIA rather than built-in, so I don't know if built-in ones can be disabled - but presumably they listen before they transmit anyway?

Memetic
10th May 2004, 15:22
My Toshiba laptop which I have added the optional mini-pci wirless card to, has both a switch to disable wireless and a function key + Function number key combination that will do the same job (Don't ask me why.)

I've never been asked if I have WiFi on the laptop or if it's switched off though.

mini
10th May 2004, 19:07
Memetic,

Ditto mine (Dell). I think the rules will always be set for the lowest common denominator though, i.e. assume all laptops will cause interference, saves arguments...

:ok:

Memetic
10th May 2004, 23:37
i.e. assume all laptops will cause interference, saves arguments...

Yep not arguing. I have a mobile with flight mode. It stays off. Crew don't have the time to chaeck all phones / argue / train people who can't get flight mode on etc.

But I was observing that save for take off and landing where all laptop use is banned I have, yet, to hear any mention of "ensure wireless networking is switched off if you are using a laptop."

Now i'm in that habit of taking a laptop i'd not be keen on seeing all use banned in flight just because some people can't or will not disable WiFi - especially as some airleins are just bringing in in flight internet access :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th May 2004, 02:17
Memetic,

all use banned in flight just because some people can't or will not disable WiFi - especially as some airleins are just bringing in in flight internet access

You might just see it banned like cell phones were. They will want people using their equipment to access the net, just like the flight phones. (They charge more per minute for a phone call than the Printer Ink Cartridge Makers do per ounce of ink.) :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

NinjaBill
12th May 2004, 19:32
The max power output of your wifi card is 50 - 100mW, but your mobile phone can emit a few Watts, and is at a much higher frequency ~200 x higher than most radio navigation and comms kit, unlike your mobile phone, therefore your wireless is unlikely to cause as much interference as your phone. wheather or not this will lead to them being banned anyway is another matter entirely....

NB

goates
12th May 2004, 20:49
There are some studies that have been done by the FAA, Transport Canada and others that do show some interference between cell phones, electronics and avionics equipment. However the number of conditions that have to be perfect for the interference to happen on modern aircraft is are so high that it will never happen. Newer airliners also have better shielding around the avionics systems.

The real problem with cell phones is a cell phone in the air could easily overload the cell tower network on the ground. Each phone is only supposed to be "visible" to at most two towers when transitioning from one tower's coverage area (or cell, hence cell phones) to another. Due to buildings, hills, and other factors, this is easy to control on the ground, but in a plane, you could easily have a clear path to several towers. The results can show up to both users on the ground and in the air as lost or busy signals. Until the cell companies bring out new networks that can handle this situation, they will be banned from use on planes. As September 11th shows though they can work, but if everyone tried to, the cell networks would collapse.

Of course the airlines are only too happy to provide you with their own phone system to use and pay for. ;)

Boeing's Connexion system does allow wireless access on the plane and has been installed by Lufthansa. There was something in the news recently about this I think.

goates