PDA

View Full Version : Lhr Rwy 23

PA28Viking
9th May 2004, 08:46
See this really nice pic:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/573699/M/

Is RWY 05/23 ever in use for takeoff or landing? If not, then when was it used?

The Viking

Preppy
9th May 2004, 09:09
Heathrow's third runway (23) is, I fear, shut for ever more....

Unwell_Raptor
9th May 2004, 10:36
I lived in Hayes as a kid, and 23 (was it 24 then, or were they just called No 1, No. 6 etc? (but I digress)) was used whenever the rainy south westerlies blew. This brought traffic across the back of my house, and across the Southall gasholder. That gasholder had a big LH painted on it, to avoid confusion with the Ruislip one that had a big N for Northolt.

The country lore for us suburban kids was that if you could smell the coffee from Nestles it was going to rain, and if the planes were landing across us it was prpbably raining already.

Notso Fantastic
9th May 2004, 11:06
I think 23 can still be used for landings in conditions of very strong southerly winds, but the Terminal 4 (BA) parking area at the far end has to be clear on several stands. As for now, it is a luxurious long, wide taxiway.

amateur-pilot
9th May 2004, 11:13
Concorde's starboard landing gear appears to be on the grass?

slingsby
9th May 2004, 11:15
I've used it a few times but that was a number of years ago. It is available but only when wx conditions are extreme from the south west (wind on my last trip was 210/38-45). It normally takes four hours so I am told to prepare 23 for active use, this means moving the parked BA aircraft at the other end, and now from this picture, they would have to move concorde as well.
It takes a very controlled plan to use it in conjuction with 27R departures, departing aircraft cleared for take off after a landing aircraft has passed behind to land on 23. This is due to the thrust of departing aircraft adding to the wind and possible wind shearing effects.

Mark Lewis
9th May 2004, 13:05
Officialy NOTAMed out of action until November, but most of the ATC guys on here have repeadtedly said it will never be used again due to further building work taking place after the new tower is completed (The thing closing it at the moment)

Jerricho
9th May 2004, 15:32
Just as a further to slingsby Rwy 23 would be promulgated if the mean crosswind from the south on the main runways got up to 25 kts or more.

As in recent years there was no ILS for it, the approach guys always had fun with intergrating SRAs (either to visual to 2 mile final) to it with ILS traffic to 27L. And as the weather was normally crap at the time, I'm sure the game was good for one and all! (I had the pleasure of seeing it twice)

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
9th May 2004, 16:13
BA taking ex Red Arrows crews for stream landings like that

Good photo

Golf India Bravo

Point Seven
9th May 2004, 17:21
23 won't ever be used again. Current promulgation time is one year.

p7

woodpecker
9th May 2004, 18:48
Hands up those of you who have landed on 23L and 23R!

The LHR plates still reveal the old 23R. Not the best of visual approaches as it is (was) alligned with the entrance to the central area tunnel!

I think many of us will remember landing on 23L during the '87 "hurricane". Passing over the Southall Gassometer the Tridents doppler was showing a Ground Speed of 60kts, with the wind on the ground 220/60 G75. I think we stopped in about three hundred metres!

With regard to the South Harrow Gasometer, following the PanAm that landed at Northolt by mistake it had "NO" not "N" painted on it. On our old school (Northolt high as it is now) website one young lady (then) suggested she would have lost her vaginity (on Horsendon Hill) far sooner if it had not been for the "NO" in ten foot letters at South Harrow!

Avman
9th May 2004, 20:40
Yep, did a J/S 23L landing in '87 (jeez was it that long ago) on a BA B747 inbound from ORD. Wind had dropped(!) to about 45-50 kts when we came in. Skipper was Ian Wallace.

NWSRG
9th May 2004, 22:09
What is Concorde doing in that picture?

Pointing the wrong way, one landing gear on the grass(?), and when was the picture taken?

Am I the only one who wondered if the picture was doctored?

PPRuNe Radar
9th May 2004, 23:27
The Concorde is destined for display in/on Terminal 5 when it is built. Not doctored and can be seen there 24/7 at the moment.

NWSRG
10th May 2004, 16:21
...you can tell how often I get to Heathrow now! :O

BRISTOLRE
11th May 2004, 13:03
Interested to know what is the plan for the new LHR tower?
See major constrution going on at Southern End of 23, is this it - some concrete like structure?
Any ideas for plan to open it and will it replace the once currently in the CTA?

Point Seven
11th May 2004, 15:51
The contruction you speak of is only the cab for the new VCR. It will actually go at the end of a pier in T3, abeam the intersection of Foxtrot and Golf (the old Limas). The cab is being built by T4 then will have to be transported over 27L/09R and dropped on the top of the construction by T3.

P7

Xeque
11th May 2004, 16:12
I landed on 23 many years ago as a pax in the old Brymon Herald. Just another memory.