PDA

View Full Version : Sound card/driver problem

Paracab
9th May 2004, 00:27
I upgaded my machine to operate Windows 2000, but the speakers that worked before, don't now.

I've re-installed the sound driver using the existing software, but I keep getting a message to say that the media file is not supported.

It seems very trivial but I can't sort it, has anyone got any advice ?

SyllogismCheck
9th May 2004, 06:24
Generally speaking 2000 finds a driver for most 'standard' components. You dont say if your using a seperate sound card or the on board chip set on the mother board. Best bet, if you havent tried this already and I'm not stating the obvious, is go to the web site of the manufacturer of the appropriate device (soundcard or mother board) and download the drivers specifically designed for Win2k for the appropriate model. Then uninstall the sound device via control panel/system/hardware/device manager/sound,video etc then reboot the machine at which point 2000 should see the 'new' device, when it does point it manually at the file you have saved from the web on your desktop or wherever. (Reason for this is that sometimes just trying to update the driver is not effective, try first if you like by all means, may well do the trick its just not as sure fire.) Generally even if you have more than one file and are unsure which you need if you point it at the source folder containing them it will find one that works.
Unusual to have a problem with drivers, even on laptops which are a bit quirky in that respect, 2000 usually gets most things going at install even if not with full functionality. If this has been no help at all or youve already tried it all post a bit more detail and I'll think again.
Good luck.

amanoffewwords
9th May 2004, 07:27
There is also the possiblity of running windows update and seeing what the driver section pops up.

Charles