PDA

View Full Version : Can Ppruneing scare people off?

ssultana
8th May 2004, 22:00
Last night I was chatting to a girl in the local public house, when i happened upon the subject of ppruneing, on further explanation to the young lady as to the nature of ppruening, she responded as if i had told her that i had an unsavoury interest in children.

Has anyone had this reaction? If so call 'Ppruner's Anonymous' - Your call will be confidential, but may be recorded for training purposes.

Tonights drink - Castellani, Chianti. Cheap but consistently good.

timmcat
8th May 2004, 22:11
Last night I was chatting to a girl in the local public house,
End of thread I suggest, through pure jealousy....:\

Paracab
9th May 2004, 00:15
This is due to a complete lack of understanding.

Just think about it, if someone described proonery to you as an outsider/non prooner, what would you do ?

Other than run.....!!??

ssultana
9th May 2004, 00:32
I know, i didn't really expect it to go down well, but i didn't think it would be so surprising.

Thing is.. men like myself [for better or worse?] are a dying breed. These days, if you tell a lady that you're a military pilot, their reaction is more 'oh my god, you KILL people!'... rather than 'ohh my god! that's right! ohh my god!'.

There is no room for a man llike me. Unless your hyper-serious, stridently politically correct and even better... 'a little bit gay', then you're just not acceptable.

Ahh well..

Boss Raptor
9th May 2004, 01:19
totally unsuitable female in my opinion :{ :{

con-pilot
9th May 2004, 01:28
Hey ssultana, figure out how to get a trip to Tinker AFB here in Oklahoma City and I will take you to a lot of places here that if you say youíre a military pilot and youíll have to fight the women off with a stick.

Donít give up hope!

Jerricho
9th May 2004, 01:32
I've had several people wonder what the attraction is.

"It's an internet forum for Aviation types?"

"You give sh*t to people and have random discussions on the internet?"

"Is that really your mother in law?"

TamedBill
9th May 2004, 06:50
ssultana,
You mean you actually used the line ''I'm a pilot'' when talking to a girl in a bar?! :p :} :p ;)

Jerrichos MIL
9th May 2004, 07:38
"Is that really your mother in law?"
Only until my darling daughter sees the error of her ways and divorces the lecherous, two-timing, parsimonious, beer swilling, useless, lazy, hippy layabout. :} :ooh: :E

Fester T Adams
9th May 2004, 08:17
Yes

I find people can react suspiciously when they hear I post or meet people (not very often that is & no bad experiences yet) through internet forums, particularly if the're not that computer savvy themselves. It's still a fairly new form of communication & a very adept one at that. It opens up a whole world of possibilities, worldwide networking, communication & meeting people that you never thought possible. However if people are only used to real world, conventional face to face meetings they can consider it odd, not realising its potential. I find this so I can be wary about brining it up too early in a conversation.

Another question that could be asked is 'Do PPRuNers scare other PPRuNers off'. How many people here would be willing to transfer their online relationships to reality ones or do many people enjoy the anonyminity & escapism of a forum with its pseudo comradeship, but would run a mile at the first mention of turning it into a reallife genuine friendship?

you tell a lady that you're a military pilot, their reaction is more 'oh my god, you KILL people!'...
Even though I'm not of the female persuasion I'm sorry to admit it, but I'd have the same reaction, wouldn't be impressed at all but then I never am with any profession who's end mission is being trained for death & destruction no matter how gung ho it appears. Sorry!

ssultana
9th May 2004, 12:44
No, i didn't tell her i was a pilot (well in training anyway) i keep that under my hat these days. I merely used the pprune word.

I find that students are very anti military and anti american these days. They don't have any perspective on situations, probably beacuse they smoke to much marijuana, and get their politcal views from rage aginst the machine.

Damn.. i just hijacked my own thread.

Jerricho
9th May 2004, 15:43
Are you saying my wife is married somebody else? :p

Dimensional
9th May 2004, 15:56
ssultana -- I know what you mean, I've had one girl turn round to me while wearing a UAS fleece after some event or other and say "Oh my God, you're in the military, and you seemed like such a nice bloke ... so you're going to spend your life killing people!"

Next time I'm half tempted to retaliate with "Oh, yeah, and in my spare time I push old ladies in front of buses and run babies through with pitchforks..."

:(

Pilgrim101
9th May 2004, 16:04
Dimensional

What... not with the weapons we're going to issue you with ??? :}

ssultana
9th May 2004, 16:15
Yeah, i find myself responding to comments like 'It's horrible, you kill people!' with controversial statements like 'that's life'.

I get tired of explaing that i may be flying aid drops over mozambique, doing peace-keeping missions or killing bad people.

takenthe5thamendment
9th May 2004, 16:18
ssultana, as a woman of 'vintage years' (as described by Binos ;))
I have got to say.......

One day these girls you are chatting up will grow into women and will just LURVE a man in uniform. :E

AerBabe
9th May 2004, 16:20
Did someone mention men in uniform? :ooh:

ssultana
9th May 2004, 16:20
excellent news. thanks tt5a!

Dimensional
9th May 2004, 17:09
Well crabfat blue No. 1's are hardly the biggest turn on in the world...

:uhoh:

McJiz
9th May 2004, 17:16
"Oh my God, you're in the military, and you seemed like such a nice bloke ... so you're going to spend your life killing people!"

Yeah, i find myself responding to comments like 'It's horrible, you kill people!' with controversial statements like 'that's life'.

Don't worry chaps, people that talk nonsense like that are not worth talking to in the first place. They are usually so closed to any ideas other than their own that talking to them is a waste of your breath. No common sense, worldly knowledge, greater sense of purpose or national pride. Oh, and more often than not study completely useless degrees. :8

Unfortunately we can't all live in a lovely little flower power happy huggy best friends with everyone type world. Trust me, if we ever came under direct military attack (although unlikely in todays terrorist climate), the very vocal minority outlined above would be the FIRST ones to scream for help.

So, SSultana, Dimensional and anyone else with anything to do with the Armed Forces of any country, you do have our support. Good on you for having some national pride and allowing the judgemental, shallow minded people who live in fairy tale land to voice their opinions in the first place.

McJiz

C u at Linton some time. :ok:

AerBabe
9th May 2004, 17:23
Well crabfat blue No. 1's are hardly the biggest turn on in the world... I beg to differ. Of course, it does matter what's inside the No.1s too! :suspect:

Dimensional
9th May 2004, 17:25
Growbags I could understand ... just ... but that is slightly questionable taste IMHO. :}

I stand to be corrected, however.

-D

Techchick
9th May 2004, 18:28
Seems to me that the young lady in question reacts to ppruning as many of my computer illiterate friends do. You may as well admit to enjoying torturing kittens!! I reckon it takes a ppruner to appreciate a ppruner, and with one exception, all the people I value as friends are indeed ppruners!

takenthe5thamendment
9th May 2004, 20:47
Hey TC,

Lovely to see you back in the land of PPRuNE! :ok:

flower
9th May 2004, 22:33
Whoar , Men in Uniform

Uumm best have a cold shower.

Until I joined the world of the Internet I too would have considered a place such as PPRuNe a place populated with saddoes, the number of friendships I have gained from here is colossal.
A recent article showed that far from a place populated with Computer geeks and those unable to make real friendships the Internet and especially sites such as this one are populated by the educated and professional. The world we live in today is different , many of us with work have moved away from our families and traditional friendships , we live alone and with chat rooms and Instant messaging we now develop a different type of friendship.
I have met many people here from PPRuNe through the bashes and have made wonderful friendships and relationships.
I quite frankly don't give a damn if people don't like PPRuNe that is there problem not mine and shows an ignorance if they are unwilling to let others enjoy it.

Rich Lee
9th May 2004, 22:43
I attempting to stop Navy Seal clubbing........but nobody seems to care. Everybody complains about the baby seals, but nobody cries for the Navy Seals.

This is especially true of Canadians who are, it seems, against personal firearms, but are issued seal clubs willy-nilly at birth--well, can't have those baby seals littering the shoreline now, can we, eh?:}

Buster Hyman
10th May 2004, 02:31
Hmmm. I seem to have the same problem. When I say to people; "Hi. I post on an internet forum. Would you like a boiled lolly?" They seem to run away...:confused:

Blacksheep
10th May 2004, 05:36
Susannah York looked pretty good in crabfat blue, Dimensional.

Especially when she took most of the blue bits off... RAF shirt and tie with suspenders and stockings were always a particular turn on in my neck of the woods.

[Yes, all right! As long as they were worn by the ladies of course you bunch of perverts!]

TamedBill
10th May 2004, 06:52
Ladies,

I'm assuming when we are talking about 'phwoar' uniforms we mean military and not say...Mcdonalds :p (that would be perverse).
I used to find handsome young vicars attractive but I'm not sure thier garb could be classified as a uniform :confused:

Mr Lee,
I worry about you. :p